Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Marathoner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

aquinn wrote: »
    I will be blunter then.

That is TOO much when just recovering from a marathon. You may be feeling ok but that is a lot when your body needs to recover.

Easily 3 sessions there last week. You also had the cross-country.

You will wear yourself out or fall out of love with running as you are pushing and aiming for the half when you should only be now gently easing back into sessions.

Yes, I'd have to agree with this although you might get away with it due to age. But in the medium to long term, no. From what I've read, it sounds like you have potential. If you get good advice and coaching I'd see you taking big chunks out of those times in the next couple of years.

Right now though........ take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

While I appreciate advice, I unfortunately don’t see much in the way of advice in some of the replies. As I acknowledged myself, my legs are tired and in need of rest - which I will be taking. I don’t see much point in the retrospective “you did too much”. Very disappointed to read some of these, especially as I think it was clear from my post that I knew what I needed to do now.

Thanks for some of the encouraging words, and the empathy regarding the stress! Will pretty much be under the pump till Christmas but hey! Running will be a nice escape :)

Ps: that’s not to say I don’t appreciate constructive criticism (or won’t in the future), just not when I realize it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Week: Monday 19th - Sunday 25th November.

In hindsight I may have overreacted slightly last week :) as I said, stressful times! Hopefully I still have some readers left.. even though today’s entry will be very boring.

Monday: Rest day.

Tuesday: Exercise bike, very easy for 15 minutes.

Wednesday: Rest day with Epsom salt bath.

Had intended on going to the track and doing an easy run, alongside those doing club session, but legs were sore (shin twinges) during a walk in the morning and was a little under the weather.

Thursday: 5k shuffle.

Friday: 8k easy with 6 x 100m/100m for the last 1200m.

Good effort but felt sluggish. Must be still tired but it really feels like I’m losing fitness.

Saturday: Rest day.

Sunday: Rest day.

I had intended to do 10 miles but college work took over, maybe for the best!

Waterford AC half marathon is Saturday, so won’t be making up that missed long run this week as there’s no benefits to be gotten at this stage. I feel like my fitness has gone a little but I’m not worried about getting my best time in the half. I’m going to enjoy the rest of this year and do the Christmas races without being competitive. Plan for Waterford is to go with 1:50 pacer as this has been a goal for awhile. I messed up my last half marathon and fell apart but I should really be able to go under 1:50. After the hill at mile 10, I might push a little but will depend on how I’m holding up! Whatever happens, at least I’ve still got my hat! (Family guy reference)

Thanks for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck in Waterford. You’ll do great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck on Saturday. Have fun :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement