Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any electricians that can get around the Find My iPad lock?

Options
  • 30-10-2018 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have an iPad belonging to a deceased family member and it is locked with Find My iPad. Can anybody get around this for a fee? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

your best bet is to try ring apple. no electrician will be able to do this for you and apple probably can't either.

sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its an anti theft measure, if it were circumventable it wouldnt be any use.

As above, get into Email, from there AppleID.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Apple refused entry through the lock process to the US Secret Service so I don't think they will give it to you.
    Many have tried.

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TwistingJab

Thanks for the words everybody. And for the advice. My advice is that one of these back street shops that repair phones, laptops etc, might know a way of doing it, or even eventually find a hack, here’s hoping.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks for the words everybody. And for the advice. My advice is that one of these back street shops that repair phones, laptops etc, might know a way of doing it, or even eventually find a hack, here’s hoping.

If the FBI/Secret Service cant do it why do you think a back street shop will?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »

Developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Developments.

Eh....if anything the developments made it harder because they upped the security in iOS 12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I have an iPad belonging to a deceased family member and it is locked with Find My iPad. Can anybody get around this for a fee? Thanks

You have three options.

If you can access the original sales receipt contact Apple with it and request they remove the activation lock.

Try to reset the password of the account (if known) online at https://appleid.apple.com.

If you know the Apple ID account (email address) the iPad is locked to but can’t reset the password online, have the person who is the the legal representative of the estate contact Apple and if they can provide enough information they may be able to transfer ownership of the Apple ID to them. Which will allow you to access the iPad.

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's not possible. The iCloud lock sits on Apple's end, it isn't hardware / locally based so it's 99.99% (never say never etc) impossible to remove the iCloud lock.

It’s the hardware. If you swap the main logic board with a non-activation locked board, the iPad can be used again. However, you’d need to find someone to do that and it may not be worth the effort and/or cost.

godtabh wrote: »

The FBI etc can get past activation lock. That’s a completely different scenario. They want access to the user data on the device to get into on terroists/criminals.

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It’s the hardware. If you swap the main logic board with a non-activation locked board, the iPad can be used again. However, you’d need to find someone to do that and it may not be worth the effort and/or cost.

Thank you. It is looking more and more likely it won’t be done. Just thought I’d chance my arm. You never know.

Advertisement