Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to cork

Options
  • 30-10-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

Hiya looking for advice on village\ small town, we are moving to cork with our two children (2yrs and 1mth) we are looking for a village in the countryside with a nice community feeling to it, with access to good schools and crèche and also has club we will be based around cork city so don't mind a 30 min commute to work.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Does it matter what part of Cork? If East Cork I would recommend Midleton. Small town with lots going on to keep yourself and the kids happy, friendly locals and easy commute to the city by car and also has a decent train service. I say this as a non-native of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Im originally from Macroom very community entrenched. Would highly recommend you go and check it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Figure out your commute and see if you can avoid driving through the tunnel at rush hour.

Midleton is fantastic, but you'll get very tired very soon of queuing at the tunnel morning and evening, plus major roadworks are starting there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Does it matter what part of Cork? If East Cork I would recommend Midleton. Small town with lots going on to keep yourself and the kids happy, friendly locals and easy commute to the city by car and also has a decent train service. I say this as a non-native of the town.

Don't know yet as we're thinking mallow because of the train station and it's easy access to dublin. Also was thinking behind small villages outside of mallow as it would be lovely to have a house on its own near a village or town. Does anyone know if it's difficult to get a place in crèche or schools?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If Mallow area is of interest think about Dromahane or Glantane. It is in the parish of Kilshannig and is a very good community. There is a creche based at the new GAA centre is Glantane. There are plenty of houses available either in the villages or outside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Blarney and the surrounding area is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ryanmac1990

Hi I have read your post. Blarney is a great place to live as in light traffic you could be in the City Centre in as little as 20 minutes. Also It is about a 10 minute drive to Blackpool which has a Shopping Centre and retail park and Aldi. Also Blarney itself is a lovely area there is Blarney Castle and Gardens also on the new Mallow Road there is a walkway just outside the village and amenities such as schools crèches there is a lot of them in the village. The 215 bus route goes from the village to the City Centre via Blackpool and it runs every 30 minutes. There are a lot of young families living in the area so it’s a great place to raise a family as it’s very family oriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It really depends on where you're working and what times you'd be commuting to work. There's no point living in Blarney if you have to commute to Mahon every rush hour.

I was comparing Midleton and Mallow for travelling to 'Dublin' on google maps. Driving there was only a six minute difference. Weirdly the train from Mallow to Dublin was quicker than driving! Getting trains from Midleton to Dublin would take at least an hour longer than from Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's not weird, the Cork - Dublin train goes through Mallow,
    Midleton to cork train, then get cork Dublin...
    But if you're driving midleton is only 15 mins from the Cork-Dublin motorway..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I found it weird that it was quicker to take the train than to drive from Mallow.

If you go full Colin McRae (and don't get stuck behind a tractor), you can go cross-country from Midleton and join the motorway further north and cut a bit of time off your journey. I didn't realise when posting how old this thread was though....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I don't think I'd describe any of the places mentioned as villages or small towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I don't think I'd describe any of the places mentioned as villages or small towns.
    Certainly towns like Mallow Fermoy Midleton are expanding but places like Dromahane, Kilavaullen Castlelyons Killeagh will remain relatively small. If the poster does move to them they willget a community feel through attendance at the local school, joining sports clubs etc

If Dublin access is important you coyld look at Watergrasshill or Rathcormac (Castlelyons another 5 min from Rathcormac and more settled country village)
    Motorway runs by both, with easy access to Northside of city and also tunnel to south

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

I also live in Midleton I’m here about 7 years I moved down from Waterford when I got married. It’s a great little place to live, locals are very accommodating and my son loves the school he’s in. Socially it’s welcoming and we get on well with everyone in our estate.

Advertisement