Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Jovi, RDS, 15th June 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kudos to them for playing for over 2.5 hours though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Weepsie wrote: »
    Kudos to them for playing for over 2.5 hours though

Absolutely. That, and for covering so many decades of their back catalogue. Anyone who complains are just dick swinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Brilliant gig.

Played one of my favourites that I've never heard live but was lost on a lot of people... Wanna make a memory

Did tico tease the start of Always but then played bed of roses?

Encore was fantastic, 4 songs and well over curfew

Manics were great but think a more rock band would have suited better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

but1er wrote: »
    Refused at the gate told my ticket was ready used. Gutted no idea how, anyone else with the free tickets any trouble

Similar thing happened to me at Slayer gig 3Arena last year. Got a free ticket from the security company in charge, only read the seat and the row, got there seat was taken, Girl in seat sees my ticket which has her name on it, she throws a banshee strop as to how I had her ticket for which I had no explanation other than was given to me in good faith.

Brilliant show tonite from Mr BJ and RDS was great all round, bars toilets and food were seamless, no queueing issues at all, sound was amazing and place was packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Similar thing happened to me at Slayer gig 3Arena last year. Got a free ticket from the security company in charge, only read the seat and the row, got there seat was taken, Girl in seat sees my ticket which has her name on it, she throws a banshee strop as to how I had her ticket for which I had no explanation other than was given to me in good faith.

Did they not scan both tickets?
    If so and she was sitting in the seat, how did you get in with same bar code?

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Did they not scan both tickets?
    If so and she was sitting in the seat, how did you get in with same bar code?

Good question and a complete mystery. Ticket scanned perfectly for me at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Jons voice really is gone and afraid to say it wasn't a patch on the last time I saw them in 2011 at the same venue.

Being a drowned rat from the rain didn't help either I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

what was the craic with the cap, if he stuck that on to stop his hair from getting wet well I don't know what to say?
    some very dodgy barnets on that stage last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was dreading it going by some videos of Saturday night but thought it was a great gig and Jon's voice wasn't so bad. When Bed of Roses started I was sure this would be a song he would struggle but he was fine. Atmosphere in the Gold Circle was excellent. Glad I went as was 50/50 due to Richie not being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Great gig....
    The screens are stunning, and great backgrounds for the songs.

JBJ's voice is knackered , as many have said, and the other 4 lads do really dig him out on those massive notes in the older songs, but that's what happens, the same has happened Bono. 36 years is a lot of singing !

Really enjoyed the gig, JB knows how to get a crowd going, and he seems to be enjoying it, which helps too.

I was impressed by Phil X , well capable of pulling off Ritchies solos, and very capable harmonies.

They came on at 8.15 , and walked off just before 11.

Overall, a great nights entertainment, and if you didn't leave the RDS with a smile on your face afterwards ….. well..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Weepsie wrote: »
    Thanks for the ticket Nutzz. Thought the Manics were great, but it was my 15th time seeing them I think.

Bon Jovi I approached very casually. I expected to know a lot more songs than I did, but I think over here at least, unless youre a fan and have the album's that only a handful of their songs ever get radio play.

With that said, I knew every word to every Manics songs where as a lot people there knew A design for life and 1 or 2 others at most.

Also, Bon Jovi blatantly lifted a Metallica riff, had a song that sounded like Oh Darling at one point, another that sounded like Crazy Train for a bit

Yeah, the Manics were class. Was hilarious looking around and seeing about 7 other people in the Gold Circle bouncing for You Love Us!

ooter wrote: »
    what was the craic with the cap, if he stuck that on to stop his hair from getting wet well I don't know what to say?
    some very dodgy barnets on that stage last night.

Thought the same, the cap and hoodie combo was awful but thankfully only thing to complain about!

I was seated Block E just an amazing view but it struck me that "Gold Circle" is turning into quite the sneaky scam, on the maps online it's one-third of the pitch but definitely was closer to half the pitch last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Got the free tickets on the App.

I love the Manics, so was delighted to see them and their cover of Sweet Child of Mine was very unexpected but strangely fun :D
    James seemed very cringey with his clap along business, so fair play to him for giving it a go.

I'll be honest, my knowledge of Bon Jovi is limited to drunken night club dancing at 2/3am.

After reading through here, the voice makes more sense and all in all, it was a great screen setup and his musicians are fantastic.

And I'm guilty of not studying for the Bon Jovi quiz at the beginning... anyone ever taste his pasta sauce? :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Richie who??

Great gig and he wasn't missed tbh. John's voice is a bit shot but he still held his own and the band more than made up for his struggling vocals. Very tight band.
    The visuals were probably the best I've ever seen at a concert. The set list was pretty good. A little tease of Always at one stage when Tico played the first couple of drum beats but then they broke into Bed of Roses which I was delighted with. You could tell that they were genuinely enjoying themselves too and it showed when they did the second encore. The sound was brilliant from where I was standing. Perfect sound from the manics too who were also great. All in all, a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Went on the freebie from Three. Glad I went. Great night. The added bonus of the Manic Street Preachers topped it off. I wouldnt be a die hard Bon Jovi fan but that was a great gig. Decent mix of older and new. Sound quality was top notch and great visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I went on Saturday and loved every minute of it. Manics were decent and Bon Jovi were excellent. As has been said the visuals were unreal, and they really looked to be enjoying themselves on stage too. Of course Jons voice isnt what it used to be, but to be able to still pull a crowd and hold a crowd 30 years on is something Justin Bieber or Ed Sheeran are unlikely to be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

kcdiom wrote: »
    something Justin Bieber or Ed Sheeran are unlikely to be able to do.

That's a weird jab at the end. I dunno about Beebs, but I'd say if Ed Sheeran wants to keep touring he'll keep touring for a long long time. He seems like a well managed healthy kid who doesn't necessarily belt out the tunes. So he should last.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

errlloyd wrote: »
    That's a weird jab at the end. I dunno about Beebs, but I'd say if Ed Sheeran wants to keep touring he'll keep touring for a long long time. He seems like a well managed healthy kid who doesn't necessarily belt out the tunes. So he should last.

Ah I keep hearing a lot of ****e talk about people who are touring recently, even back to Phil Collins last year, Bon Jovi, Metallica, The Cure, Bruce Springsteen, U2 etc all milking it right now, but they have stood the test of a few generations of music that a lot of current artists won't. I'm a massive Ed Sheeran fan, I'd love to be going to see him again in 10, 15, 20 years time but I just don't think it would happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

frogstar wrote: »
    Brilliant gig.

Played one of my favourites that I've never heard live but was lost on a lot of people... Wanna make a memory

Did tico tease the start of Always but then played bed of roses?

Encore was fantastic, 4 songs and well over curfew

Manics were great but think a more rock band would have suited better.

You mean they didn't play this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I won tickets from MCD for this, and was delighted I went. I missed the Manics, unfortunately, due to being delayed beforehand, but arrived on the the pitch shortly before Bon Jovi took to the stage. Weather was terrible, but the atmosphere was great :) Jon is a fantastic front-man and I really loved the stage visuals.
    '(You Want To) Make A Memory' was lovely to hear live.

Thanks for the advice earlier in the thread from a few posters re parking - I got a lovely spot on just off Clyde road which was a handy walk down to the arena :)

Here is the set list, for anyone interested: Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Wha? Manic Street Preachers aren't a rock band? News to me!! :rolleyes:

Went on the tickets from 3 last night, I'd not seen either band before haven't been in the RDS in years 06 I believe, They move the stage from where it used to be or my mind playing tricks on me don't recall those seating stands anyway.

Manics were a solid opener,sound was brilliant for them which was pleasing. It was lost on some of the audience but there was a bunch singing away couldn't help but wonder were they also in on free tickets :D . Aside from Design, Sweet Child O Mine got the biggest reaction, someone said they butchered it first night well if they played it like last night that's a mile of the truth.

Bon Jovi were class, knew Jons voice isn't what it used to be but it perhaps better than expected and thankfully wasn't Rock HOF shape, some man to command a crowd. The whole set was perfect for me I wouldn't be an avid fan by any stretch so that Memory song didn't capture me at all I'm afraid wasn't mad on the Roller coaster song either but the visuals for that were superb.

Was suggested we head to beat the crowds towards the end of Livin' as it was the last song,shouldn't have took that advice the minute we stepped out the gate they came back to do These Days which we had to make do with listening to on the walk up the road, I know Richie not there but Phil X a great player had a chuckle seeing a guy wearing a "No Richie No Party" T-shirt coming out one of the other entrances.

Venue for view/sound was top last night and that's my main focus when it comes to things for a gig but many a gripe with surrounding issues leaving to go to vendors area/toilet particularly at the start of night stewards would request to see ticket over and over again absolutely ridiculous, Had to pop out once during Bon Jovi and they now stopped letting people in where I came out (where my party was) and had to walk all the way around. Didn't bother much with the bars on my hols so was assuming I'd be combining a few beverages with the show but they only sold rockshore on the pitch and you had to walk out for cider which was €6 for a 4 mouthfuls bottle so knocked that idea on the head after Bon Jovi started.

Transport out of there and Dublin in general was appalling I know it was a Sunday night but with at least 2 big gigs on around the city there surely has to be more adequate support for the extra thousands descending on the capital. When we got to the taxi rank off O'Connell, No word of a lie about 9 Taxis used the Taxi rank road and none stopped despite passengers only being in one of them drastically frustrating for ourselves wanting to get to the red cow,finally we flagged one on O Cornell. Green wave me fcking bollocks!!

Back there for the Foos so hoping the gig/sound goes down as well but the overall experience improves!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

I feel kind of guilty posting this as there is a lot of love for JBJ on this thread, but I thought he sounded awful on stage. I was actually shocked at his singing. His voice is seriously f**ked up. I have seen hundreds of gigs over the last 30 odd years, but this is the first one that I left before the end. Dont get me wrong, the band was good as were the on screen graphics, but I just couldnt bear to listen to him strangle those vocals to death. That was with the fact that he had backing vocals to help shore him up. It is a pity, as he is a good showman. But if he cant rescue those vocals he should do the honourable thing and retire from live performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I availed of 4 free tickets from the 3 plus app.
    Sunday night was my 4th time seeing Bon Jovi, the previous shows being in 1990, 1995 and 1996.
    Despite Tico Torres and David Bryan's involvement, it now feels like a Jon Bon Jovi solo show, rather than the band I remember.
    There is no doubting JBJ's star quality but the strain on his voice was clear and contrary to what others think, I felt Richie Sambora's absence was very noticeable.
    However...
    Kudo's to them for delivering a show of almost 3 hours. The visuals and sound quality were also great. Amazingly the crowd remained in high spirits despite the constant downpours, which definitely took some of the shine off it for me.

Would I go and see them again? Yes, but only if Three provide the tickets again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

but1er wrote: »
    Refused at the gate told my ticket was ready used. Gutted no idea how, anyone else with the free tickets any trouble

I thought you were going to Noel Gallagher ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

corm500 wrote: »
    I feel kind of guilty posting this as there is a lot of love for JBJ on this thread, but I thought he sounded awful on stage. I was actually shocked at his singing. His voice is seriously f**ked up. I have seen hundreds of gigs over the last 30 odd years, but this is the first one that I left before the end. Dont get me wrong, the band was good as were the on screen graphics, but I just couldnt bear to listen to him strangle those vocals to death. That was with the fact that he had backing vocals to help shore him up. It is a pity, as he is a good showman. But if he cant rescue those vocals he should do the honourable thing and retire from live performance.

Yea, it was pretty dreadful, the singing. felt bad for him. at least he seemed to be enjoying himself but yea, his range is so limited now and it doesnt work with most of the songs. if anything the backing vocals should have been way louder in the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I got a free ticket from boyfriends friend and said i would love to see manic street preachers nevermind bon jovi!

Fxker wouldnt leave the apartment so got into the area just as design for life ended. Fcking gutted!.

Despite getting soaked and missing two great songs waiting to pee, Bon jovi was good enough I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Can I ask the best place for parking? I won’t be leaving my home til near 3:30 as I’m working till 3, and I’m around 1.5hrs away, where is the best place to park?
    Going to pink tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Can I ask the best place for parking? I won’t be leaving my home til near 3:30 as I’m working till 3, and I’m around 1.5hrs away, where is the best place to park?

There's a few suggestions a couple pages back. You are hitting the City at rush hour though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭dobman88

Depends on where you're coming from?

If coming up the M7 at that time I'd just leave the car at red cow luas stop and do luas/bus. Getting in through traffic at that time will be an.absolute nightmare and just not worth the stress imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Coming from the m3 navan direction, really don’t want to go down by port tunnel and google maps is bringing me that way

Advertisement