Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change into teaching unsure where to start

• 30-10-2018 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I graduated a couple of years ago Culinary Entrepreneurship which is a level 8 degree with 2.2 and worked in hospitality and business but I would like to go in to teaching and have thought about it for a long time but I am unsure of what way I can go in to it with my degree as it is unusual. any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Get on to the teaching council about registering under Further Education with your current degree, you should get further education work and you can also sub in secondary ( with that registration number) to see if you'd like it before undertaking costs of a 2 year PME and also assessing your degree to see what the teaching council will allow you to teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Primary or secondary?

Home Ec teachers are in short supply if that's any good! (Although that's just for sub work etc. I'm not too sure if there are many permanent job s.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Prob be easier to go the primary route. With secondary you will probably have to go back and do a 4/5 year Home Ec degree.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Before you do anything , see if you can volunteer in a school or with the appropriate age group. Teaching needs to be entered with your eyes open !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Teacher training courses are very competitive and it's unlikely you'll get a place on a course through your first application and with little to no experience. The best thing to do is start volunteering in schools and education centers and start doing some short training courses. Most ETB's offer free courses in literacy and numeracy training or you can train to be literacy tutor through NALA. Having that on your cv is great for getting your foot in the door, its a 10 week part time course and will give a bit of insight into whats required. Tefl courses are also a good place to start, online courses wont get you a job here but theyre quite good for giving a laymans view of methodologies and teaching techniques, having this on my cv helped me get into my postgrad in teacher training as it showed I was serious about wanting to pursue teaching and I was able to talk a little bit about methodologies and other things I learned on the course while in my interview for college. It also really improved my writing skills, spelling and grammar.
    If you register with the teaching council under further ed you can teach in Youthreach, adult ed and teach your own evening classes in education centers. Make your cv look good and show that youre serious about teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hibernia seem to take most people who have the money!

Advertisement