Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb property - Guidelines for change of use from residential to short term letting

Options
  • 30-10-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Can someone send me a link to some guidelines for changing the use of an apartment from residential to airbnb letting. There's only 3 apartments in the building and we are all airbnbing the apartments for more than 90 days per year.

What is the process to doing this?
    What health and safety guidelines do we need to adhere to etc.?
    What DCC forms should i fill in etc.

Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭D_D

cmbutler wrote: »
    Can someone send me a link to some guidelines for changing the use of an apartment from residential to airbnb letting. There's only 3 apartments in the building and we are all airbnbing the apartments for more than 90 days per year.

What is the process to doing this?
    What health and safety guidelines do we need to adhere to etc.?
    What DCC forms should i fill in etc.

Many thanks!!

Because this is new legislation, I don't think any of the councils have the docs in place yet. But also note, with the housing crisis in Dublin, you are very unlikely to be granted airbnb letting status. The point of the new legislation is to clamp down on this type of letting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think it's a bit premature to say what's likely or unlikely in the current vacuum. Let it be tested and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The surrouding bumf with the legilsation is saying that you can essentially forget it in Dublin and Cork.

It also should be noted unless they are PPR's they can't even be rented for 90 days without PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you (and all the other airb&b people) had to go through the same extraordinary and apparently impenetrable hoops as I am going through trying to do something similar but 'approved' from scratch there would not be any airb&b.

And if I do get through stage 1 I will then have the privilege of paying tax, obeying regulations, paying for h&s installations, installing wheelchair friendly accommodation and being inspected. I am a year in, its going to be another year at the rate we are going - nothing to show and thousands spent, poised waiting to see what new stuff Planning can think of to demand - while airb&b-ers just tidy up a room, or several rooms, or a house, and put some fresh sheets on the bed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Moved to construction & planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Is the whole point of it not that you have to apply for planning permission for a change of use? Therefore the docs, refered to would be a planning application / dac / fsc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I thought the same as Doop based on the limited information put out about the scheme so far.

However, I would not be surprised if there are some extra hoops to jump through beyond a standard application for change of use.

Worth bearing in mind what looksee says above regarding planning permission being only one issue. Compliance with the Building Regulations is another and cannot be solved by a a paper exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

How long will it realistically take to propose new planning legislation and pass it through the various stages to make it law? I'm sure it will take much longer than next summer.

When was the last time fundamental planning legislation was proposed and implemented and how long did that take?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'd be interested in seeing how the 90 day rule is going to be enforced and who is going to enforce it. At the moment planning is required for short term let's but it's not enforced.

Advertisement