Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auditing with the big 4

• 30-10-2018 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've a few interviews for a graduate position in auditing with the big 4.

Is auditing a decent thing to get into?

What are the career options like after it? How much can I expect to earn? Would I better off at something else? (I applied for management consulting roles but didn't get them)

Cheers for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

In Dublin - start on 22k (ish). Finish 3.5 years later on 50k(ish) having worked 60 hour weeks and possibly weekends if you're unable to say no to weekends. Also in that time frame you'll have to churn out professional exams, including lectures on Friday nights, weekends etc. It's tough going.

Great career prospects post qualification. Most leave once they qualify and go into something else other than external audit. Usually tax or financial accounting roles. It's a great qualification. Most people who do it tend to do it because they're aware of it, know people / family who've done it and who work in the industry so they're pretty well clued up on what's involved.

No one can tell you what you're suited to, but this is a huge body of work over 3 - 3.5 years - I would think long and hard about where you ultimately want to be. I can tell you that most people I know left Big 4 THE DAY their contract was up, many hate it by the end and can't wait to get out of external audit (with their new qualification) and start something new. Beware of being pigeon holed into something you don't care about - i.e pensions. I'd say you need to educate yourself a bit more on what's involved before you can make a sound decision.

Advertisement