Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Cabin v. Steeltech Shed

Options
2»

Comments

OP, my thinking would be that it's not a terrible idea. I presume you're sticking it in a back garden from a pre-existing (parents?) house? If so, you'll be able to piggyback on their electricity and water setups.

If you insist on taking this gamble, then go for it. Chances are the Council will never notice of their own accord, however, if a neighbour, passerby, etc. complains, you'll be in for a hiding from the Council. If no one complains, the Council will likely turn a blind eye. But if someone gets onto them,you are pretty much guaranteed that you'll have to demolish it.

So my thinking for you would be simply strip your budget down to nothingness. (although, if you've got €100k to spend, I'm sure you can get a mortgage on a house?). But if you insist on going this route, strip your budget down to 10-15k. 20k at most. Like making any gamble, be prepared to lose what you invest into it.

Don't build anything pretentious, tall, or house-like. The more shed-like and 'disguised' it is, the better off you'll be, long-term. You don't want anyone to even know it exists after it's been built.

I built a 4x5meter (well.. an 11x16ft) shed, with PVC window and doors. It cost me about €2,700. I spent about an extra 1,500 on insulating, plastering and wiring it up for electricity. I don't live in it, in fact it's rarely used, but I'd say you could build on the cheap with any old shed company, and then get a small time builder in to insulate and plaster (or DIY it if you fancy it.. insulating seems easy, its the plastering that is a skill). You could build one for a fraction of the cost, and if the CoCo tell you to bin it, at least you won't be as financially invested in it.

Make sure you put your neighbours first. They're the ones who can make or break it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

listermint wrote:
    Nah, your happy for the OP to be ill informed.

In the electrical form they warn once that only a registered electrical contractor can carry out work that a poster is planning on doing himself. After the one warning they give out advice to the poster telling them how to to the job.

OP was warned about the planning aspect and they acknowledged the advice. It's then time to answer the question on the construction that they asked about.

Maybe op should have posted in construction instead?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread closed.

1) Topic is more suited to construction and planning
    2) Advice on avoiding/ignoring planning permission would be against the forum charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement