Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dozing regime for Ewe Lambs.

• 30-10-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Have some Ewe lambs I will be keeping over the Winter and selling as Hoggets all going well in August 19’.
    Dosed them about a month ago with a combined Fluke and Worm Dose and gave them a mineral dose.Some of them bought lambs,had them in for mobile dipping the other day and noticed a few of the bought in ones with scaly ears so will give another mineral dose asap.They are grazing on reasonable ground,some of which can get quite wet quickly (if weather breaks badly).
    When mineral dosing them next time would people think I should just give them a Fluke dose or a combined Fluke and Worms dose?

Heard from two neighbours that seemingly there were heavy worm
    Burdens in lambs this year but don’t know if that situation would be past tense seeing as we are nearly into November now.
    Thanks for anyone’s thoughts on best dosing tactics over the Winter.Unfortunately FEC testing not really possible for me pre dosing as they are in an awkward place to get in to pen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Hi all,
    Have some Ewe lambs I will be keeping over the Winter and selling as Hoggets all going well in August 19’.
    Dosed them about a month ago with a combined Fluke and Worm Dose and gave them a mineral dose.Some of them bought lambs,had them in for mobile dipping the other day and noticed a few of the bought in ones with scaly ears so will give another mineral dose asap.They are grazing on reasonable ground,some of which can get quite wet quickly (if weather breaks badly).
    When mineral dosing them next time would people think I should just give them a Fluke dose or a combined Fluke and Worms dose?

Heard from two neighbours that seemingly there were heavy worm
    Burdens in lambs this year but don’t know if that situation would be past tense seeing as we are nearly into November now.
    Thanks for anyone’s thoughts on best dosing tactics over the Winter.Unfortunately FEC testing not really possible for me pre dosing as they are in an awkward place to get in to pen.

Just on FEC - when I tested mine, I made sure to be into field before daybreak. Then as they got up, they stretch and provided the fresh samples :) I only got samples from ~5, they all got put together and sent off... But it saved me having to bring em in - not sure if the same is possible for you?

On the dosing, I too have ewe lambs, I will watch this thread with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Just on FEC - when I tested mine, I made sure to be into field before daybreak. Then as they got up, they stretch and provided the fresh samples :) I only got samples from ~5, they all got put together and sent off... But it saved me having to bring em in - not sure if the same is possible for you?

On the dosing, I too have ewe lambs, I will watch this thread with interest.

Good way to try and get fresh samples:)......problem for me is not easy to get near lambs to try that....on hilly ground.Just to give extra info for anyone offering advice on what’s best to dose lambs with for Winter,they got a dose of ‘Curafluke’ just over a month ago,it contains Fenbendazole and Rafoxanide,offers 3 way activity against immature and mature Fluke and also lungworms and stomach worms.
    So am wondering should I go with Curafluke again or try something like Flukiver and just dose for Fluke exclusively for the Winter?....the ewes got ‘Curafluke’ at same time,won’t be dosing the ewes till they are finished with ram in a months time but will prob dose them with whatever people suggest doing the lambs with as havnt a big enough flock to justify buying two separate ‘Winter doses’ iykwim
    Again thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Good way to try and get fresh samples:)......problem for me is not easy to get near lambs to try that....on hilly ground.Just to give extra info for anyone offering advice on what’s best to dose lambs with for Winter,they got a dose of ‘Curafluke’ just over a month ago,it contains Fenbendazole and Rafoxanide,offers 3 way activity against immature and mature Fluke and also lungworms and stomach worms.
    So am wondering should I go with Curafluke again or try something like Flukiver and just dose for Fluke exclusively for the Winter?
    Again thanks from r any replies.

I am planning on not doing for fluke... we are on dry ground, and the summer was very dry...
    Time will tell if this gamble will pay off...

When I spoke to the vet a few years in one of the wet years, he recommended dosing with flukiliver, or any product with closantal...

Not sure that’s much use to you...

Was hoping for more people’s views on this question....throw in your 50 cent worth today:).....sharing people thoughts or views is what Boards.ie is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Was hoping for more people’s views on this question....throw in your 50 cent worth today:).....sharing people thoughts or views is what Boards.ie is all about.

Id say fluke would be more of a problem than worms. Id do fluke only and do regular enough fec tests for worms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I fluke every 6 weeks from October to begging if march. Changing the active ingredient at each dose. Ewes and ewe lambs under the same plan.

Lambes get wormed now and nothin then till they go back to the hill in April.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    I fluke every 6 weeks from October to begging if march. Changing the active ingredient at each dose. Ewes and ewe lambs under the same plan.

Lambes get wormed now and nothin then till they go back to the hill in April.

So you give them a worm dose and a Fluke dose in October and then Fluke dose till March for ewes and ewe lambs or am I reading message wrong?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

So you give them a worm dose and a Fluke dose in October and then Fluke dose till March for ewes and ewe lambs or am I reading message wrong?
    Thanks

Yip, every 6 weeks a fluke dose. I have wet ground so takin no chances with fluke. Really depends on your own situation.

Advertisement