Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vat question

• 30-10-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm self employed and I just bought a second hand van 151 including vat in the purchase price and i was wondering can i claim back the vat amount on it
    My accountant said i cannot but other people say I can, anyone have experience of this
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 spoiler

Only if you are VAT registered maybe that's why your accountant said you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Even if you are VAT registered some vans, depending on their history and the dealer may be sold under what's called the "margin scheme" and in that case the dealer can't give you a VAT invoice to reclaim the full VAT as they've only paid VAT on their margin not the full van cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LFC1990

You should be able to, if VAT registered.
    The margin scheme isn't compulsory. The dealer can choose to charge full VAT if he/she wishes bearing in mind the customers vat recovery position.

LFC1990 wrote: »
    You should be able to, if VAT registered.
    The margin scheme isn't compulsory. The dealer can choose to charge full VAT if he/she wishes bearing in mind the customers vat recovery position.

It’s not compulsory but unless the dealer has a purchase VAT invoice for the van from a VAT registered trader-in they’re going to go margin scheme as they would do with cars.

What needs clarifying is whether the OP is VAT registered to start with (wasn’t clear in original post) and if not that’s the end of the matter. If they are VAT registered then has the garage charged full VAT and not a margin sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pepsimike

Stratvs wrote: »
    It’s not compulsory but unless the dealer has a purchase VAT invoice for the van from a VAT registered trader-in they’re going to go margin scheme as they would do with cars.

What needs clarifying is whether the OP is VAT registered to start with (wasn’t clear in original post) and if not that’s the end of the matter. If they are VAT registered then has the garage charged full VAT and not a margin sale.

The garages has charged full vat, i am vat registered so i presume i should be able to claim it back

• Advertisement

pepsimike wrote: »
    The garages has charged full vat, i am vat registered so i presume i should be able to claim it back

I would think so. There may be a question of restriction on the overall percentage for personal use of the vehicle where it is your sole/main vehicle for business and personal use but that’s something your accountant would thrash out with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 spoiler

I would go back to the accountant and get clarity as to why you can't reclaim the VAT. It seems strange you should be able to once it is a Van ie not a car/van or a Jeep but from reading it I take it is a proper van.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pepsimike

spoiler wrote: »
    I would go back to the accountant and get clarity as to why you can't reclaim the VAT. It seems strange you should be able to once it is a Van ie not a car/van or a Jeep but from reading it I take it is a proper van.

Im going to go back to my accountant and thrash it out everyone seems to be saying i should be able to claim back the vat not just on here
    Thanks everyone for your help

Advertisement