Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Ads 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Kevin was in a truck hanging off a cliff, now he's rescuing carrots from an evil parsnip- I'm confused as to what happened in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yep, I don’t get it either. Why go to the hassle of creating that ad and the Instagram game to go with it if they’re just going to go a completely different direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Maybe there's another ad coming to show what happened beforehand....although it would make more sense to show it the other way around if that's the case....

I suppose it’s easy to forget that it’s only November and they still have December to show new ads! But you’re right, it’s a little out of sequence if that’s the case. Unless the next one ties everything together?

I’m in my 30s and I’m discussing a cartoon carrot on the way to work. Living my best life. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Finally saw the Sainsbury's ad, it's fantastic, made even better when you watch the short "meet the stars" behind the scenes clip too.
    The parents were the audience and that was the first time they'd seen it (presumably close ups on the mum were re-flimed) but the roar at the end is genuine.

The Plug fella though, talk about embracing your shot at glory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

DvB wrote: »
    HAd intended to watch the John lewis advert tonight 'live' so to speak, but gave in & watched it there. Not what I expected, TBH I dont know what I expected, but i feel this has been done before, ie someone looking back over their life and a gift as a child starting them on a 'journey'
    Nice advert, but hardly original.
    The snowmen and The bear & The hare have yet to be matched.

They'd already done it too with their standard "Always a Woman" so they just stuck a celeb on it and released it for Xmas.

Showing EJ coked off his face jumping on a piano is a bit of a weird one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Not a fan of the John Lewis ad. To be honest if it was any other time of the year it’d be great but it’s not a Christmas ad really.

Exactly. IMO its not a christmas advert. Sticking the last scene in at the end doesnt save it either.

Ended up catching it on TV again last night & herself said the same thing... not really christmassy at all.

LIDL checkmated them with their retort though, brilliant marketing that!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m in my 30s and I’m discussing a cartoon carrot on the way to work. Living my best life. :pac:

Genuinely LOL'd in work at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

DvB wrote: »
    Exactly. IMO its not a christmas advert. Sticking the last scene in at the end doesnt save it either.

Ended up catching it on TV again last night & herself said the same thing... not really christmassy at all.

LIDL checkmated them with their retort though, brilliant marketing that!!

I think the JL ad is more nostalgic than Christmassy. The image of EJ at the end of it thinking about his mam...it's more about the loss he feels than how amazing Christmas is....in my humble opinion

Definitely. It would be a great trailer for his movie or promo for his book/tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

John Lewis Ad is such a disappointment because it could so easily been a great and classic Christmas Ad. Imagine if they had Elton at Christmas through the years instead of just Elton through the years. Dressing rooms, recording studios and planes done up in the style of the time. A Christmas Top of the Tops. Maybe some nod to a Christmas number one (not sure if he had one but sure why not). They had a school concert, in a Christmas ad and no one in the creative team said let's make this a school Christmas concert. Even the stadium concerts could have been made christmasy with a strategic tree CGIed to one side and clever lighting. We could have had a great ad recalling the Christmas shows, and albums and decorations of decades past.

But no. Instead we got an ad recalling Elton John of decades past with Christmas at best an after thought.

Disappointing. Very very disappointing because it was such a huge miss. They were 90% of the way there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What’s even more frustrating is Elton John penned one of the best Christmas songs of all time. Now imagine the John Lewis ad with Step into Christmas blaring over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Dunnes Stores Ad is out on Tuesday 20th I read online

Despite this being a blantant marketing ploy to see carrots. I love this ad. Very magical and those reindeers are so cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loving the McDonalds Ad very cute

What kind of a monster doesn't leave out a carrot?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Posy wrote: »
    What kind of a monster doesn't leave out a carrot?! :pac:

Just so long as it's not called Kevin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

ann0 wrote: »
    i dont like the john lewis add and the banned Iceland add was not about Christmas but it was a nice little add..you cant beat Kevin carrot though.best add ever was the 1996 pennys add

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=athHodH_nis

You've made my morning, I completely forgot about that ad, beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭DvB

SarahLil wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores Ad is out on Tuesday 20th I read online

Funnily enough I really liked the one they've had for the last couple of years with the dad re-gifing his book to his daughter, had a real old fashioned christmas feel to it.
    I appreciate the need to change things but the sentimental old git that I am, I love seeing the same adverts being reused, like Guinness (best ever), coke, budweiser, corn flakes etc.

Probably just a sign of old age mind :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Twitter UK got very clever with their 'John Lewis' ad, lol. It's the guy who is @JohnLewis on Twitter :)

https://twitter.com/TwitterUK/status/1064435790514716672

• Advertisement

Waitrose has a few with a similar theme. This is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Loughc wrote: »
    Despite this being a blantant marketing ploy to see carrots. I love this ad. Very magical and those reindeers are so cute.

Short and sweet, thats a good one.

I really like the airport bears this year and the sainsburys one, the others especially John Lewis one were a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Here's the Dunnes one. It beats the john john Lewis one by a mile. Such a lovely feel good vibe.

freida wrote: »
    Here's the Dunnes one. It beats the john john Lewis one by a mile. Such a lovely feel good vibe.

https://youtu.be/pTylnA9GhvQ

Oh I love it. That's one of the best so far! :)

Love the Dunnes ad. Don’t get the connection to Dunnes from it but I get the Christmassy feels and that’s all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The Dunnes one is SO good! dab dab *sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That Dunnes ad is really well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Love the Dunnes one. I actually felt tearful watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Advertisement

BDJW wrote: »
    That Dunnes ad is really well done!

It’s filmed so well. It looks so cinematic.

Advertisement