Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any attractive Broadband+Landline Bundles for Existing Customers AFTER 12 Month Contr

• 30-10-2018 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hello eir,

My query relates to my mother's account.

I understand that my mother's current 12 month promotional package bundle called "eir Complete Broadband & Phone" which supplies eir Fibre & eir Talk will expire around 18th December next and thereafter the monthly rate is due to increase significantly from current promo discount rate of €40.00 per month (as direct debit discount is included) to  €78.00 per month (or €76.00 per month if paying by direct debit. These standard rates post 12 month contract would be extremely costly as my mother is now a widow on a old age pension who does NOT qualify for the telephone allowance as she is not living alone in the house.  

I just want to check if there is somewhere for an "Existing" eir customer to view the various bundles that relates only to Broadband+Home Phone packages as I want to examine all of the various features & benefits in addition to proposed pricing after 18th December. 

Please note that we are NOT interested in adding different services or upgrading. We currently pay €40.00 per month (as DD payment) and although the promotional bundle came with a Free eir sport pack, it is definitely NOT  something we would require going forward. We just want Home Phone & Broadband with a calls package option at a reasonable price per month.  We currently have anytime calls to Irish landlines & Irish mobiles & UK landlines & UK mobiles. 

I know the eir website promotes packages aimed at "New" customers and although; there is a link for existing customers it seems to be designed for those eir customers who may be looking to upgrade broadband (not necessary in our case) or adding TV or Mobile (again not necessary in our case).  We would prefer not to have to switch provider again this year however; this decision will largely be based on the monthly price charged once the current contract expires.

Meanwhile, I have been looking at a few of the cost comparison websites like Bonkers.ie, Switcher.ie, MoneyGuideIreland.com in relation to Home Phone+Broadband and I'm looking at the current price range offered by various telco providers versus benefits on offer which does make interesting reading in the round.

Do eir price match with any competitors in the Irish marketplace as a means of retaining an " Existing" eir customer  who might be tempted to jump to a rival supplier in order to get similar benefits at a much lower cost?

Can eir provide us with  a selection of options most suited to my mother's Home Phone & Broadband options that explains the features & benefits and all associated charges?

I am happy to provide you with full account details on a PM if this is required to assist you further.

We look forward to receiving your best value recommendations in due course.

Your's sincerely,
    AwaitYourReply
    on behalf of the account holder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gerard1970

Hi AwaitYourReply.

eir's pricing plan is available here - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/pt4.1.10.pdf. It looks like your mother is on the "eir Talk Mobile World" plan (page 2 of the PDF) which is €77.98. If she doesn't use her landline to call mobiles, maybe she could consider the "eir Talk" package which is €67.99. It's still a lot more expensive than the €40 she's paying at the moment though, but if she's happy with the service from eir, it looks like it's her only option.

The only other option is to switch providers.  As she already has the fibre running to her house, there's probably other providers (Vodafone or Sky) who might have offers for "new" customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Hello eir,

I understand that my mother's current 12 month promotional package bundle called "eir Complete Broadband & Phone" which supplies eir Fibre & eir Talk will expire around 18th December next and thereafter the monthly rate is due to increase significantly from current promo discount rate of €40.00 per month (as direct debit discount is included) to  €78.00 per month (or €76.00 per month if paying by direct debit. These standard rates post 12 month contract would be extremely costly as my mother is now a widow on a old age pension who does NOT qualify for the telephone allowance as she is not living alone in the house.  

I just want to check if there is somewhere for an "Existing" eir customer to view the various bundles that relates only to Broadband+Home Phone packages as I want to examine all of the various features & benefits in addition to proposed pricing after 18th December. 

Please note that we are NOT interested in adding different services or upgrading. We currently pay €40.00 per month (as DD payment) and although the promotional bundle came with a Free eir sport pack, it is definitely NOT  something we would require going forward. We just want Home Phone & Broadband with a calls package option at a reasonable price per month.  We currently have anytime calls to Irish landlines & Irish mobiles & UK landlines & UK mobiles. 

I know the eir website promotes packages aimed at "New" customers and although; there is a link for existing customers it seems to be designed for those eir customers who may be looking to upgrade broadband (not necessary in our case) or adding TV or Mobile (again not necessary in our case).  We would prefer not to have to switch provider again this year however; this decision will largely be based on the monthly price charged once the current contract expires.

Meanwhile, I have been looking at a few of the cost comparison websites like Bonkers.ie, Switcher.ie, MoneyGuideIreland.com in relation to Home Phone+Broadband and I'm looking at the current price range offered by various telco providers versus benefits on offer which does make interesting reading in the round.

Do eir price match with any competitors in the Irish marketplace as a means of retaining an " Existing" eir customer  who might be tempted to jump to a rival supplier in order to get similar benefits at a much lower cost?

Can eir provide us with  a selection of options most suited to my mother's Home Phone & Broadband options that explains the features & benefits and all associated charges?

I am happy to provide you with full account details on a PM if this is required to assist you further.

Your's sincerely,
    AwaitYourReply
    Hi there

Thank you for getting in touch. All our bundles will always be displayed here

As our plans, prices & promotions are all subject to change, I would suggest contacting the Sales Team at 1800503303 in the last month of the contract and they will be able to see what the best options are and what they will be able to give to the account holder. The account holder can also mention a promotion that they see online as they might be able to honour that offer at that time

-Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

eir: Kyle wrote: »
    Hello eir,

Your's sincerely,
    AwaitYourReply
    Hi there

As our plans, prices & promotions are all subject to change, I would suggest contacting the Sales Team at 1800503303 in the last month of the contract and they will be able to see what the best options are and what they will be able to give to the account holder. The account holder can also mention a promotion that they see online as they might be able to honour that offer at that time

-Kyle
    Hello Kyle,

Thank you for your message today.

I understand that all plans, prices and promotions are always subject to change.

Using the link that you provided showed me various promotional offers although; if we were to opt for the Broadband+Home Phone package shown at €34.99 per month for 12 months it then asks you to confirm your landline number and then the price increases to almost €60.00 per month (once you round up the one cent) while the features & benefits are inferior to the EPIC AWAITS! €34.99 best value bundle which I gather is intended for new customers only?  

The existing customer €59.99 price pack provides the free eir sports pack however; the eir sports pack is of no interest to us going forward and the calls package is only effective during "Off-Peak hours" and in respect of calls made to "Irish landlines only" which is not great value. This does NOT feel like much of an incentive or upgrade as the pack is much more expensive and has a lot less to offer if we choose it after the current contract ends on 18/12/2018.

I gather that if we did need to switch plan or switch provider, we need to call 1901 at least 30 days in advance which means we need to have some idea by middle of November (within next 2 weeks) given that our contract is due to expire on 18th December according to dates shown on MyEir.

I was initially hoping that we could review an extensive list of sales promotions & offers aimed at "retaining existing customers" that would be running throughout November/December in the run up to Christmas. I like to be able to review the various elements of a package in print/online rather than trying to digest a whole pile of details over a phone call. I would have thought eir would do everything possible to retain existing customers who are concerned about major price increases once an existing contract promotion expires. 

Below are the elements of most interest to us in any future package provided that the price is reasonable as there are numerous competitors that have attractive rates for new customers. 

Home Phone including Line Rental
    Always on Unlimited Broadband
    Calls to Irish Landlines included
    Calls to Irish Mobiles included
    Calls to UK Landlines included
    ** No one-off bundle activation fee as an existing eir customer already in receipt of Broadband+Home Phone ** 
    All Prices quoted to include VAT at the applicable rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Hello eir,

Your's sincerely,
    AwaitYourReply
    Hi there

-Kyle
    Hello Kyle,

I understand that all plans, prices and promotions are always subject to change.

Using the link that you provided showed me various promotional offers although; if we were to opt for the Broadband+Home Phone package shown at €34.99 per month for 12 months it then asks you to confirm your landline number and then the price increases to almost €60.00 per month (once you round up the one cent) while the features & benefits are inferior to the EPIC AWAITS! €34.99 best value bundle which I gather is intended for new customers only?  

The existing customer €59.99 price pack provides the free eir sports pack however; the eir sports pack is of no interest to us going forward and the calls package is only effective during "Off-Peak hours" and in respect of calls made to "Irish landlines only" which is not great value. This does NOT feel like much of an incentive or upgrade as the pack is much more expensive and has a lot less to offer if we choose it after the current contract ends on 18/12/2018.

I gather that if we did need to switch plan or switch provider, we need to call 1901 at least 30 days in advance which means we need to have some idea by middle of November (within next 2 weeks) given that our contract is due to expire on 18th December according to dates shown on MyEir.

I was initially hoping that we could review an extensive list of sales promotions & offers aimed at "retaining existing customers" that would be running throughout November/December in the run up to Christmas. I like to be able to review the various elements of a package in print/online rather than trying to digest a whole pile of details over a phone call. I would have thought eir would do everything possible to retain existing customers who are concerned about major price increases once an existing contract promotion expires. 

Below are the elements of most interest to us in any future package provided that the price is reasonable as there are numerous competitors that have attractive rates for new customers. 

** No one-off bundle activation fee as an existing eir customer already in receipt of Broadband+Home Phone ** 

Hi there AwaitYourReply

If you call 1800503303 they will be able to assist you with each query you have here. This the the only department that will be able to assist

-Kyle

Hello eir,

Your's sincerely,
    AwaitYourReply
    Hi there

-Kyle
    Hello Kyle,

Hi there AwaitYourReply

If you call 1800503303 they will be able to assist you with each query you have here. This the the only department that will be able to assist

-Kyle
    Hello Kyle - This is essentially one query outlining the type of package elements that are of most interest to us if my mother is to continue with eir after the current contract expires on 18/12/2018 provided that the package price is affordable going forward.
    I will just have to call the 1800 number you provided if they are the only personnel that can assist in this way. 
    Do the "Sales Team" at the 1800 number not have a direct e-mail address as well?

Your's sincerely,
    AwaitYourReply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Vodafone have promo  - 25 euros per month (sorry don't know length of the contract).
    Call eir and cancel you broadband, then maybe (maybe) they will give you good price.

Also it doesn't matter you contacting in behalf - it has to be account holder, otherwise they will not talk with you.

Tom  

Vodafone have promo  - 25 euros per month (sorry don't know length of the contract).
    Call eir and cancel you broadband, then maybe (maybe) they will give you good price.

Also it doesn't matter you contacting in behalf - it has to be account holder, otherwise they will not talk with you.

Tom  
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for your recommendation. I understand that for data protection reasons various agencies, utility companies etc; would ask to speak to the named account holder to verify that everything is above board which I appreciate. I just want to ensure that my mother is not paying an excessive monthly fee when the current contract finishes on 18/12/2018 as it would increase by a significant amount. I am just checking out all options because if we cannot obtain an attractive package from eir at a competitive price, we would need to provide eir with 30 days advance cancellation notice which can be submitted to coincide with the end contract date to avoid (i) early termination charge and (ii) paying higher tariff rates thereafter. 

I've been reviewing cost comparison site called, MoneyGuideIreland.com which makes very interesting reading for the big six broadband providers with prices last checked on 26/10/2018. Below is a web link if you wish to copy and paste.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/cheapest-phone-and-broadband-package.html

AwaitYourReply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

Tom  
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for your recommendation. I understand that for data protection reasons various agencies, utility companies etc; would ask to speak to the named account holder to verify that everything is above board which I appreciate. I just want to ensure that my mother is not paying an excessive monthly fee when the current contract finishes on 18/12/2018 as it would increase by a significant amount. I am just checking out all options because if we cannot obtain an attractive package from eir at a competitive price, we would need to provide eir with 30 days advance cancellation notice which can be submitted to coincide with the end contract date to avoid (i) early termination charge and (ii) paying higher tariff rates thereafter. 

AwaitYourReply

Ring cancellations at the 30 day point and inform them you are cancelling to move to another provider for a better deal which will be the actual truth. At this point you will be offered a deal to stay, depending on the deal you might accept and happy days. However there is another layer "the loyalty team" who can offer better deals so my advice is not to accept the first offer and request to be put through to the loyalty team. be aware that you will not get the same deal a new customer will get if they move to another provider but you will make a saving and spare yourself the hassle of changing to another provider. 

pmce4 wrote: »

Tom  
    Hi Tom,

AwaitYourReply

Ring cancellations at the 30 day point and inform them you are cancelling to move to another provider for a better deal which will be the actual truth. At this point you will be offered a deal to stay, depending on the deal you might accept and happy days. However there is another layer "the loyalty team" who can offer better deals so my advice is not to accept the first offer and request to be put through to the loyalty team. be aware that you will not get the same deal a new customer will get if they move to another provider but you will make a saving and spare yourself the hassle of changing to another provider. 
    Hi pmce4,

I know that the only way customers can provide cancellation notice to eir is by calling 1901 which should be done 30 days in advance so; it will need to be done by 18th November as the contract will expire on 18/12/2018. I will listen to any deals on offer from the "Sales/Retentions Team" and if unimpressed I will ask to be put through to the "Loyalty Team" but yes I know that the best deals are usually reserved for new customers.
    Thanks pmce4 for your informative advice. 

AwaitYourReply     

Advertisement