Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect and planning fees

Options
  • 30-10-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there just wondering if anyone has a rough idea how much money would be needed to engage an architect and get planning on a site.
    Starting from the very start?

Also any helps and tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Good advice on www.riai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Whatever it costs, its worth it as you only have the one shot really at the build. If you make mistakes, as I did, you're stuck with them. I regret not getting an architect.

I did get an engineer to supervise build, which he did, but an architect would have sat down with me at the planning stage and we coudl have jigged the builders plans somewhat to make the house more me friendly.

my kitchen is too small and the bedrooms could have been more evenly sized, rather than two big and two too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I Got an architect technician to do it and this cost me 2.5k to planning stage. Just hoping it gets beyond that point now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, I was out on site with the architect today. And I drove away, as much as he drives me mad the odd time (and I him), I thanked the heavens I'd gone this route (I have zero knowledge of building).

He did/does:
    I told my archi my budget. "Design me a house for x amount" And he did.
    Design
    Planning (archi I used put a very good presentation together - house is a different/not typical design. And it got through the council, with no comments)
    Drawings
    Tender/negotiating
    Checks on builder/reputation
    Paper work
    Site visit/checks site
    Advice, about anything/sounding board
    Deals with builders (he is like my rep - I obviously speak to builders too when I need to).
    Keeps me in check and does be realistic on budget (very easy when youre building to say "Ah shur Ill put this and that in" and budget goes sky high).

An archi will be about 10-15% of the cost of your build.

They work through stages (i.e., design stage, planning permission stage, builder drawing stage, stay of for the build stage).

At the end of each stage (at least this how we work it), I pay him.

If you go with an archi, you dont need to keep them on past the planning stage (if that's what you chose). Keeping them on for the build will cost you more. But as I said above, I am very happy I made this decision to keep him on for full build.

Advertisement