Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef the Professionals 2018

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Oh, Laurence's dessert sounds lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Olli's menu sounds like it's being read out in another language!

O/T, but I'd love to take a razor to Dean's hair!

Hmmm, I fear Dean may have done it. He's the only one who didn't have any negative comments at all.

Laurence's main seems to be a big hit though......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I'd say Laurence has it

• Advertisement

Really glad I was eating dinner watching this.

Honestly I'm not sure how they're going to separate Dean and Laurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Oh thought it was Dean but Laurence just blew them away with his mains and dessert.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I'd say Laurence has it
    I'm hoping.

I think Olli may have blown it by overcooking the duck (in Marcus' opinion, mind you, I always find them very didactic - is that the right word? - about how well cooked meat is!)

If Laurence wins this, it'll be some coup for a sous chef against the other two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Fair play

• Advertisement

Well done, Laurence!

Oli still smiling. Fair play to Laurence really came into his own the last couple of rounds.

Mealy-mouthed comments from Dean there - yes I know he's just after being disappointed, but Olli managed to be generous and gentlemanly.

Fair play to Laurence, for a sous chef to beat the quality in this series is some achievement.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Mealy-mouthed comments from Dean there - yes I know he's just after being disappointed, but Olli managed to be generous and gentlemanly.

Fair play to Laurence, for a sous chef to beat the quality in this series is some achievement.

He is Scottish. :)

Happy Laurence won. The working in Michelin star restaurants stood to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Just fast watched a few episodes there. The elimination of Mathew was odd. That eliminator is based on one dish and half an episode rather than all the previous day and a full episode.

Dean in my mind didn’t deserve the final. Not the most likeable either.

Good on Lawrence. Oli was great too.

I wonder how many job offers they have had?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Only just got to watch the final, I'd a feeling Laurence was going to win. I'm pretty sure at the start it was mentioned he worked as a sous chef in a 2 star michelin restaurant and then not really again after that. I always think the judges have a bias towards contestants like that. Monica and Marcus have spent their entire careers using michelin stars as their goal so it validates them a bit when they can crown someone like Laurence as the winner. He did deserve it though to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Binge watched the final four episodes there.

Matthew. Matt. Matt, baby, what have you done!? Gutted he ****ed it up in that round. He was my favourite, and he made a hayms of it. That being said, he absolutely nailed the star-chef-table round, and Dean ****ed that completely. In the judging it was neck and neck between him and Dean, and the previous round wasn't taken into account at all. Totally unfair and it's like the 3*star restaurant round, it's just advertising, it's not a competition. The real finalists were Oli, Matt and Lawrence.

Not to preach about Matt, but he's 23. When I was 23 I was ****ing up my last year in college, for the second time. I couldn't poach an egg. I didn't know a protein from a carb. And he's a head chef, masterchef semifinalist. Dude deserves some serious accolades.

Onto the final, man, that was some sexy food. From the comments I thought Dean had it. The criticism I would have of Dean (other than unfair things like, I just don't like the guy, or , he's actually a robot, and his fiancee is massively more attractive than I could get) would be that his food was always kinda the same. Fish, asian influence, usually involves seaweed. But the judges liked it and they're far more competent than I. So maybe I'm unfair. I just thought he was a one trick pony, and not a nice one at that.

Delighted Lawrence won. His parfait when he nearly ****ed it and managed to not only save it then saved his round, then went from strength to strength round after round was amazing. He was always intense, but he really shone in the last few rounds, and his main/dessert looked incredible. Worth winner.

Shout out to Oli who I had issues with early on, he had a few poor rounds, but **** me if he didn't grow throughout. He comes acrosss as as genuinely likeable bloke, smile on his face, takes chances, and lives with the results. It's alwys interesting, always crazy, win or lose. I didn't like him earlier, but with Matt gone, he and Lawrence were my main choices. And he was seriously classy in 'defeat'. Top man, and in direct contrast to Dean in pretty much all ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Binge watched the final four episodes there.

Matthew. Matt. Matt, baby, what have you done!? Gutted he ****ed it up in that round. He was my favourite, and he made a hayms of it. That being said, he absolutely nailed the star-chef-table round, and Dean ****ed that completely. In the judging it was neck and neck between him and Dean, and the previous round wasn't taken into account at all. Totally unfair and it's like the 3*star restaurant round, it's just advertising, it's not a competition. The real finalists were Oli, Matt and Lawrence.

Not to preach about Matt, but he's 23. When I was 23 I was ****ing up my last year in college, for the second time. I couldn't poach an egg. I didn't know a protein from a carb. And he's a head chef, masterchef semifinalist. Dude deserves some serious accolades.

Onto the final, man, that was some sexy food. From the comments I thought Dean had it. The criticism I would have of Dean (other than unfair things like, I just don't like the guy, or , he's actually a robot, and his fiancee is massively more attractive than I could get) would be that his food was always kinda the same. Fish, asian influence, usually involves seaweed. But the judges liked it and they're far more competent than I. So maybe I'm unfair. I just thought he was a one trick pony, and not a nice one at that.

Delighted Lawrence won. His parfait when he nearly ****ed it and managed to not only save it then saved his round, then went from strength to strength round after round was amazing. He was always intense, but he really shone in the last few rounds, and his main/dessert looked incredible. Worth winner.

Shout out to Oli who I had issues with early on, he had a few poor rounds, but **** me if he didn't grow throughout. He comes acrosss as as genuinely likeable bloke, smile on his face, takes chances, and lives with the results. It's alwys interesting, always crazy, win or lose. I didn't like him earlier, but with Matt gone, he and Lawrence were my main choices. And he was seriously classy in 'defeat'. Top man, and in direct contrast to Dean in pretty much all ways.

Wouldnt agree with the lawrence comments. He overcooked his duck in the final.

Dean was robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Healio wrote: »
    Wouldnt agree with the lawrence comments. He overcooked his duck in the final.

Dean was robbed.

That was Oli. Beer can cooked duck.

(Something I've always wanted to try on a barbecue myself... just not in a final)

• Advertisement

There is a special edition at 8 p.m. tonight (repeated tomorrow at 5.30) in which Monica and Marcus catch up with five finalists and they all cook off against each other.

Just watching the Christmas special now - I hardly remember any of them!

Lovely to see the stories of a few of them since they won or were finalists, but it's all going on and on a bit - when are they actually going to start cooking? :confused:

I can see this being a five-way draw! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Just watching the Christmas special now - I hardly remember any of them!

Lovely to see the stories of a few of them since they won or were finalists, but it's all going on and on a bit - when are they actually going to start cooking? :confused:

The stories are the best part to be honest. I found the cook off underwhelming because the judges appeared to be reluctant to have anything overly critical to say which is understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Finally caught up on the final episode. Thank god i'm not the only person who didn't like Dean. Found him very arrogant and smug at times.

At the same time though he is obviously a very good chef and i really thought he had it in the bag especially when Marcus said he didn't like one part of Lawrence's dish.

Delighted Lawrence won though. Really grew on me during the competition.

Advertisement