Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle .Crows

• 31-10-2018 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

New to this stuff so I plead ignorance.

Hunted pheasants when I was with young lad with a shotgun.

Have taken over 12 acres which I am doing the whole native trees, hay meadow, scythe stuff.

Have noticed crows chasing away some hen harriers ( I am at 350m in very rural mountain countryside)

Guessing an air rifle might be a another hobbby when I up there to take care of the crows. Guessing the nearby mono spruce plantations attract them.

I am a quick learner and can afford a decent gun so any advice on the best one to get would be great.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

80sDiesel wrote: »
    New to this stuff so I plead ignorance.

Hunted pheasants when I was with young lad with a shotgun.

Have taken over 12 acres which I am doing the whole native trees, hay meadow, scythe stuff.

Have noticed crows chasing away some hen harriers ( I am at 350m in very rural mountain countryside)

Guessing an air rifle might be a another hobbby when I up there to take care of the crows. Guessing the nearby mono spruce plantations attract them.

I am a quick learner and can afford a decent gun so any advice on the best one to get would be great.

I have a .22 BSA Meteor air rifle that I can't find fault with, even though it is as old as the hills it is practically like new and shoots perfectly.

If you type the name into the search bar on here you will see the original ad I bought it from here just over a year ago.

It's the only air rifle I've ever owned so I can't honestly compare it to others but google will tell you a lot and it is lethal for crows and rats.

I've got a new rifle coming soon so would like to make room in the gun safe if you are interested drop me a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Its ilegal to shoot birds with a rifle i believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

GolfVI wrote: »
    Its ilegal to shoot birds with a rifle i believe?

Under derogation it is perfectly legal.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Under derogation it is perfectly legal.

The Op states that they were chasing away hen harriers and the derogation for protection of fauna was from may-september 2018..

Therefore if they wish to shoot them for the reason stated they would have to wait untill the new derogation in February 2019..

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

You'll get a nice payment for having a hen harrier on your land and nothing for crows so shoot away :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I've no clue what derogation is :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

The Op states that they were chasing away hen harriers and the derogation for protection of fauna was from may-september 2018..

Therefore if they wish to shoot them for the reason stated they would have to wait untill the new derogation in February 2019..

I see you found the derogation :D Now you know it's not illegal to shoot birds with a rifle the next time someone asks.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I see you found the derogation :D Now you know it's not illegal to shoot birds with a rifle the next time someone asks.

As it stands it is currently illegal to shoot crows for the reasons the op has stated until february 2019.

As the op stated that they are new to the sport im just making sure that they know the conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

As it stands it is currently illegal to shoot crows for the reasons the op has stated until february 2019.

As the op stated that they are new to the sport im just making sure that they know the conditions

Speaking of laws GolfVI, are you aware that the law of holes is an adage that states "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging"?

It is of course a metaphor that when in an untenable position, it is best to stop carrying on and exacerbating the situation.

• Advertisement

Speaking of laws GolfVI, are you aware that the law of holes is an adage that states "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging"?

It is of course a metaphor that when in an untenable position, it is best to stop carrying on and exacerbating the situation.

Bit off topic to be talking about holes.. maybe you should try the construction and planning forum it might help :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I have a .22 BSA Meteor air rifle that I can't find fault with, even though it is as old as the hills it is practically like new and shoots perfectly.

If you type the name into the search bar on here you will see the original ad I bought it from here just over a year ago.

It's the only air rifle I've ever owned so I can't honestly compare it to others but google will tell you a lot and it is lethal for crows and rats.

I've got a new rifle coming soon so would like to make room in the gun safe if you are interested drop me a private message.

Will send pm. Tnks.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

air arms tx200 is an underleaver spring air rifle more than enough for what you need inexpensive too

I would recommend . 177 as opposed to .22 because of the flat shooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its legal under the derogation to shoot/trap crows most of the year to protect protected species like Songbirds, Hen Harriers, Curlew etc. Our Curlew project have cage traps operating 24/7 thoughout most of the year with the full knowledge of the local NPWS people as we also help particpating landowners/farmers reduce vermin species that harm their operation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

Get an FAC rated PCP and it'll drop crows all day long in near total silence.

BryanL wrote: »

Sorry getting up to speed on the jargon. What is an FAC rated PCP?

BryanL wrote: »

Benny mcc wrote: »
    You'll get a nice payment for having a hen harrier on your land and nothing for crows so shoot away :-)

Yeah I looked that up. Doesn't seem much. Will probably get on the next glass scheme ( if there is one) for my hay meadow. No problem in protecting native wildlife's for free. The pheasants which seem to like to breed on my land get a pass for now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

In england you can buy a air rifle with no firearms certificate ( FAC ) if it is less than 12 ft/lb ,so FAC is greater than 12 , usually 28 - 30.

PCP is pre charged pneumatic, you do not need to charge it with a spring/ lever/break barrel, you fill it with a diving bottle. They are quieter and easier to use as they have no powerful spring

Look up Ted's Holdover on Youtube for what modern PCP air rifles are capable of. This recommendation comes with the usual caveat that social media is much more likely to show the hits and clean kills, not the misses and wounding shots, so keep that in mind.

• Advertisement

So can someone recommend an air rifle . I will only ever buy one so happy to spend the money to buy one and keep .
    Ideally I would like to buy the whole package including scope etc.
    It will only be used to shooting crows annoying the local hen harriers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

So can someone recommend an air rifle . I will only ever buy one so happy to spend the money to buy one and keep .

Just a heads up on this, most dealers throw a cheap scope on a gun to make it look like a good deal.

Id research scopes separately. Have a look at hawke scopes. They offer a big range of scopes from €50-€1000. For an air rifle, you probably want a mil dot scope for longer shots.

I'd go with any of the multi shot PCP air rifles which are over 20 ft-lbs and have a decent shot capacity. I'd consider rifles from any of the top names (in no particular order) such as Daystate, Air Arms, BSA and if I could get one FX. Nearly more important is finding a dealer who can support your purchase. By that I mean they could get it serviced or supply spares, extra magazines etc. So if a dealer who is around a long time and has a good reputation is selling a particular brand which was universally liked, then I'd have no problem choosing that brand.

Scope wise, ideally get something with parrallax adjustment (on the side) that comes down to around 10 yards. It's necessary for closer range stuff. You don't need crazy big objective either. Your big decision will be if you get turrets which are easily dialled or capped turrets. Personally I'd get uncapped target style turrets.

Be warned though, top end air rifles are not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

What distance are you talking about?.......what would be the average distance you would be taking a shot at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Weihrauch HW100KT-FAC, or any of the Airarms or Daystate high powered PCP models.

All crackin' rifles. I've two of the Weihrauchs myself and they have the best trigger and magazine system of the lot of them IMO, but the others are just as capable otherwise and have things like variable power, and more shots per fill.

Go for a 22cal whatever you buy - the larger pellets are hard to get in these parts, and the smaller ones tend to over-penetrate.

When going for crows, best to avoid chest shots from the front, or shots that need to pass through the wings - very tough to penetrate and the likelyhood of a clean kill is slim. Better to opt for the base of the neck around the crop, between the shoulder blades from behind, or from underneath.

Lastly then, these things are fine for targets out to 70-80 meters, no problem - but 'cold bore' (ie: first shot with no sighter) accuracy is what counts in this context and I wouldn't be inclined to stretch much past 45m no matter what anyone tells you they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newtoit73

hw 97 .22 sub 1 inch group at 35 yards is very possible....

5ftlbs seems to be the required power to take a crow , totally agree with "estremtaz"...shot placement is key...if you care about clean kill.
    (personally i leave crows alone...magpies and rats are my targets)

https://sites.google.com/site/valleypocketgophers/home/hunting/impact-energy-hunting-requirements-for-various-animals

I have heard and there are some videos which prove the .177 pellet packs a liittle more energy , and with flatter trajectory
    it seems to be popular...but requires that little bit more accuracy because it is likely to pass through a target and not kill when the shot is mis placed... .22 is not so effect by this, and tends to give the shooter a little more room for error...

if i may as another questions, and hijack the thread slightly....does anyone know if there is a good store in grannie state ireland that could help in ordering tuning kits like V-mach....?

extremetaz wrote: »
    Weihrauch HW100KT-FAC, or any of the Airarms or Daystate high powered PCP models.

Thanks. Did a bit of research and I like the review. Can you recommend a dealer in Munster which works steer me in the right direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

if the OP doesn't mind I would just like to ask would anyone recommend a low cost but reliable air-rifle for the dispatch of cage-trapped vermin like mink, crows, mags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newtoit73

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Thanks. Did a bit of research and I like the review. Can you recommend a dealer in Munster which works steer me in the right direction?

Pretty sure Kirwins out at Lakelands have a good selection; I bought mine through Aim & Swing in Mountnugent but I'm not sure if he's still operating.
    Birdnuts wrote: »
    if the OP doesn't mind I would just like to ask would anyone recommend a low cost but reliable air-rifle for the dispatch of cage-trapped vermin like mink, crows, mags etc.

Wouldn't use air on mink - academically it's probably enough but I'd be more inclined to go for CCI quiets in a regular 22LR for that sort of job. As for corvids, they don't tend to sit still in the trap, they'll generally hop around in a circuit the whole time so they don't tend to present a shot to begin with and you're more likely to take a lump out of your trap missing them, so there's really no substitute for just taking them out and wringing the neck. There's also no reason not to as it's guaranteed clean, and unlike the furry fella, there's next to no risk to yourself.

That being said, to answer the question - the HW97 that newtoit mentions is more rifle than you should ever be able to buy for the prices it gets secondhand. Same goes for the HW80. Both outstanding in every respect and readily available <€400 secondhand if you keep watch for a while.

Advertisement