If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from a plasma TV to 4k TV

Options
  • 31-10-2018 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking about changing my Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20
    plasma. It was/is a great TV and I also think of it as part
    of the home heating system now too so it has many great features.

I really like the inbuilt freesat and freeview tuners
    so I would like to get a TV with those included.

I was thinking about the LG 49SK8100PLA
    49 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play
    https://www.richersounds.com/lg-49sk8100pla.html

I assume that the newer 4k TVs have a better picture quality
    than my current TV but I've been reading that plasma TVs can
    still hold their own when it comes to picture quality.

I saw on an earlier thread that you recommended the
    LG 50UK6750PLD but that is too big for where I want to put
    the TV.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated...should
    I even change away from the plasma? :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Snipped by Moderator

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

theteal,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum - queries here are for Richersounds to answer, opinion/advice etc from Boardies is not appropriate here.

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Alright wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking about changing my Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20
    plasma. It was/is a great TV and I also think of it as part
    of the home heating system now too so it has many great features.

I really like the inbuilt freesat and freeview tuners
    so I would like to get a TV with those included.

I was thinking about the LG 49SK8100PLA
    49 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play
    https://www.richersounds.com/lg-49sk8100pla.html

I assume that the newer 4k TVs have a better picture quality
    than my current TV but I've been reading that plasma TVs can
    still hold their own when it comes to picture quality.

I saw on an earlier thread that you recommended the
    LG 50UK6750PLD but that is too big for where I want to put
    the TV.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated...should
    I even change away from the plasma? :confused:

Thanks
    Hi Alright.

The Panasonic Plasma ranges had very good picture quality and at their time were some of the best screens on the market.

While technology has progressed and we are now into 4K and beyond, many plasma owners (Including myself) have found it difficult to upgrade because of the black levels and contrast that a Plasma can create compared to LED. With Plasma no longer in production.

The LG SK8100 range of televisions are fantastic in their own right and do produces a very good image. They are selling very well and no one has been disappointed with there purchase.

Have you been out to any stores to see 4K LED in action to compare it to the Plasma you currently own?

I had to go for an OLED when changing from my Pioneer Plasma just under a year ago.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alright

Thanks for the reply Kenny.
    I'll have to give this a bit more thought.

I'll be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Hi Alright.

The Panasonic Plasma ranges had very good picture quality and at their time were some of the best screens on the market.

While technology has progressed and we are now into 4K and beyond, many plasma owners (Including myself) have found it difficult to upgrade because of the black levels and contrast that a Plasma can create compared to LED. With Plasma no longer in production.

The LG SK8100 range of televisions are fantastic in their own right and do produces a very good image. They are selling very well and no one has been disappointed with there purchase.

Have you been out to any stores to see 4K LED in action to compare it to the Plasma you currently own?

I had to go for an OLED when changing from my Pioneer Plasma just under a year ago.

Kenny, what model did you go for as I'm also in the same predicament?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

cursai wrote: »
    Hi Alright.

Kenny, what model did you go for as I'm also in the same predicament?
    Hi cursai,

Kenny is off today so I hope you don't mind me replying on his behalf. He has a B6 however these are now discontinued and you would be looking at the OLED55B8S as a starting point at £1479.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.