Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furnished Vs Unfurnished.

Options
  • 31-10-2018 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭

We have a property rented for the last 10 years.

Our current tenants are moving out after 4 years at their own request due to a marriage split.

It’s giving us a chance to assess where we are at, we’re firstly looking at having the house valued and selling on but not sure if prices locally are what we want.

Most likely are renting again.

We’re well behind market price on rent, mostly laziness so that’s being addressed on next rent with. 50% increase from current tenants, we’ve also been advised to seek 2 months deposit rather than one.

The house has washing machine, tumble dryer and cooker, but no other furniture. Is it worth getting in other furniture to rent as furnished or just gonas is again ?? What would be the expected level of furnishings if we went that route. It’s a large family house 2500 sq ft, 4/5 bedrooms.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Less is best.
    The less you provide, the less you have to replace or repair.

Provide the minimum as per - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

From there, you can tailor depending on the tenant. They may have their own furniture, their own beds etc

• Registered Users Posts: 47 White_hills

I'd go unfurnished. It's not like years ago where renters were just starting out. We rent unfurnished now and it's so good having your own couch, bed etc. We don't have to worry about wear or tear or anything like that.

Only content items on the lease are the fridge, cooker and washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

_Brian wrote:
    We’re well behind market price on rent, mostly laziness so that’s being addressed on next rent with. 50% increase from current tenants, we’ve also been advised to seek 2 months deposit rather than one.

Assume not in an rpz as thats not a valid increase.

I'd provide very minimum as advised subject to local area and expectations and market.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭winksblinks

Unfurnished - as a tenant it allows you to put your own stamp on where you are living with your furniture and its also a lot less stress. If the kids spill something at least its my couch they are damaging and not someone else's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Unfurnished - as a tenant it allows you to put your own stamp on where you are living with your furniture and its also a lot less stress. If the kids spill something at least its my couch they are damaging and not someone else's property.

Sounds great but doesn't work. The majority of renters don't have furniture because the majority of rental property's do. Your limiting yourself to a fraction of the overall market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds great but doesn't work. The majority of renters don't have furniture because the majority of rental property's do. Your limiting yourself to a fraction of the overall market.

But its the better tenants who plan to stay who will bother getting/bringing their own stuff.

Try advertising unfurn first and if that doesn't work you can furnish it and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

But its the better tenants who plan to stay who will bother getting/bringing their own stuff.

That's illogical. I may be (and am) a long term excellent tenant willing and happy to buy or bring lots of my own furniture, but am I to trust the landlord not to cancel my tenancy in 6 months and leave me with a house load of furniture and no-where to put it?

OP says they are thinking of selling so they aren't exactly up for a ten year rental, are they? Good tenants are very wary of spending money on furniture because most houses are furnished and the bets are they won't be able to use it all in the next place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

stinkbomb wrote: »
    That's illogical. I may be (and am) a long term excellent tenant willing and happy to buy or bring lots of my own furniture, but am I to trust the landlord not to cancel my tenancy in 6 months and leave me with a house load of furniture and no-where to put it?

OP says they are thinking of selling so they aren't exactly up for a ten year rental, are they? Good tenants are very wary of spending money on furniture because most houses are furnished and the bets are they won't be able to use it all in the next place.

If it goes back to rent I expect min 5 years if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Budget for furnishing the property pick out a few pieces you would put in the place. Offer the place as unfurnished with the option to furnish.

If the tenant wants it furnished let them pick the pieces you shortlisted.

Keep records of who owns what

I still don't think that many tenants have much furniture in general. You will get some building houses or just sold up after that it isn't common.

Tenants have a habit of leaving stuff behind which is a real pain especially things like beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

_Brian wrote: »
    If it goes back to rent I expect min 5 years if not longer.

But would you tell the tenant that, and could they feel like they can trust you, is the point? I've been lied to in the past by landlords, I doubt I'm alone in not trusting.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Lantus wrote: »
    Assume not in an rpz as thats not a valid increase.

I'd provide very minimum as advised subject to local area and expectations and market.

It can be. See the RPZ calculator which allows for 4% compounding since rent was last set for a new tenancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I found the single most annoying thing while renting was all the sh!t furniture you can't get rid of. Most random crap like **** vacuums and utensils you can shove in the attic and forget about them but furniture is really in the way.

Never asked a landlord for additional furniture. Asked for furniture to be removed a couple of times and was usually stuck with it.

Tenants with the mindset of wanting to establish a home will probably stay longer and act more responsibly, and that mindset goes along with wanting to use their own stuff.

Offering to provide items from a list like a sofa, mattress etc would be ideal really from a tenant's PoV.

There are fewer renters with furniture, but here are also fewer landlords offering unfurnished accommodation, so i should work out.

Undoubtably the sector will increase as the rental market becomes more mature.
    Unfurnished offers many advantages to both landlord and tenant.

Advertisement