Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in the UK for the past 8 years - time to close my Irish account?

• 31-10-2018 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all, 

I would appreciate some advice. 

I moved to London in 2011 and have kept my Bank of Ireland account open since I left. However, I never use it. It essentially lies dormant, bar the 20e fees they charge me annually! Last night I looked into closing it, but then I hesitated as I had heard from someone years ago that if you then ever try to move home and you don't have an account, it can be very difficult to open a new one or to apply for a mortgage as you no longer have the 'history' of the account. In terms of plans to move back, I am getting married next year so it is a possibility within the next 2 years or so, but that depends on a lot of factors, mainly good old Brexit! For reference, I have had a credit union account for years and years and years, which I keep a few thousand in, and don't intend to close. It is mainly the fact I am paying money in BoI for nothing!

Can anyone advise on if I should close it? 
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

I would keep it as you have a possibility of moving back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If you intend coming home keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

If you have a balance of €3,000 in the BOI account then you won't get charged quarterly maintenance fees (€5 per quarter, €20 per year).
    Check what interest rate you are getting in the credit union on your savings. If it's 1% or less (effectively 0.63% or less after DIRT is applied) than you are better off putting €3,000 in the BOI account so you do not get charged quarterly fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I moved to an EBS account when I moved to the UK, there's a lot less fees. If you are "home" over Christmas consider moving there.

It very handy to have a euro account.
    N26 are launching in UK soon, I am not sure if they would also have a euro account as well as a sterling one.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cottonsocks

I moved to an EBS account when I moved to the UK, there's a lot less fees. If you are "home" over Christmas consider moving there.

It very handy to have a euro account.
    N26 are launching in UK soon, I am not sure if they would also have a euro account as well as a sterling one.
    That's a good idea - yes have a Monzo account over here and find it very handy, waiting for something similar to start in Ireland! I find banks much more competitive here, the fees are much less (if any at all in some cases). Will look into EBS - thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cottonsocks

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oEmmao

defo keep it :)

Advertisement