Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O Neill challenge Jan 11th 2019

Options
  • 31-10-2018 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

https://www.artoneill.ie/

Registration
    Registration for the Art O'Neill Challenge 2019 is now open. Please read the following information carefully.

This page outlines the registration and entry process for the Art O'Neill Challenge. The Challenge is limited, for conservation and safety reasons, to 200 participants. The Challenge usually receives far more registrations than there are places in the event. Places in the event are offered, drawn by lottery, from the registrations received each year. The organisers reserve 20 places in the event. These places are offered to the first three male and female finishers from the previous year, and to people who have provided vital services, without which the event could not run. The remaining 180 places are offered at random. Please read the following:

Registration will close on Sunday, November 4th. No new registrations will be processed after that date.

The entry fee for the event is €140, which is payable by credit card on receipt of an offer.

Offers of places are strictly time-limited. Payment must be received before the deadline to confirm a place in the event.

Places are not transferable. For safety reasons, only the person who is offered a place may participate in the event.

Duplicate entries are not permitted. Any breach of this rule will result in disqualification, with all offending registrations being removed.

Group entries are permitted, up to a maximum size of four.

If some members of a group are unable to accept offers, unconfirmed entries will be offered at random to other registrants.

Participants will be offered places by email. Please ensure that your email address is correct, and that it's monitored closely.

Once the deadline on an offer expires the place is forfeit.

Places that are unconfirmed after the initial draw will be offered, drawn at random, to other registrants.

The organisers of the event strive to be as fair as possible. Every effort is made to ensure that everyone who registers has an equal chance of getting a place in the event. If you have any questions about the registration and entry process, please get in touch.

To register, please go to https://reg.artoneill.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 G1raff3

Great event! Any idea when the draw will take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I'm registered, this will be my first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Got the PFO email this morning, not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved!

Congrats to those who get in, it's a unique event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

opus wrote: »
    Got the PFO email this morning, not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved!

Congrats to those who get in, it's a unique event.

Managed to get in again... Last time I was lucky was 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

No joy here :( 4 from 4 perfect record :D
    December beers it is!
    Congrats to the chosen 200....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

No Joy for me or my team :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

PFO here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone done it before? How’d you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

donaghs wrote: »
    Anyone done it before? How’d you get on?

I've done a few of them in the past. Great experiences. One of the better races in Ireland for sure. Can't beat the history.

Enduro wrote: »
    I've done a few of them in the past. Great experiences. One of the better races in Ireland for sure. Can't beat the history.

Underselling yourself :pac:

• Advertisement

My first slog up a hill today. 200m over 2km, forgot how much my calves burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Was up in Wicklow at weekend. It’s been a while since I was up to my shins in bog. V waterlogged up there.

That familiar feeling of frozen toes and waterlogged shoes.

Looking forward to reccees and talk of mystery new faster lines

Djoucer wrote: »
    Was up in Wicklow at weekend. It’s been a while since I was up to my shins in bog. V waterlogged up there.

That familiar feeling of frozen toes and waterlogged shoes.

Looking forward to reccees and talk of mystery new faster lines

Is it faster the travel longer on better ground or shorter on bad ground... nobody will ever know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I got the PFO too. Not sure if I'm disappointed or not :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

Anybody got a GPX file for the route? Need to recce the Mt stage badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

UpHill wrote: »

Would love to get one myself. There used to be a few on the old site but the new one is very minimalist

UpHill wrote: »
    Found one:
    https://www.plotaroute.com/route/515231?units=km

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

• Registered Users Posts: 12 79PTB

Hi all,

I am preparing for AON 2019, never done it before. I did a few marathons and I have also run in the mountains.

Any advice for a rookie?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Get your bag and hit the open Mountain. Have done this twice. Top 5 both times but haven't managed to get in through the lottery the last 2 years.
    The first 30k is on road which isn't too bad, don't expend too much energy at that stage. Trot along at a nice pace. It's all about Navigation from CP1 onwards. Make sure you Recce the mountain stage over the Christmas. It's fine doing a Recce in the daylight hours but it's a different animal in the night as you'll see on AON night.
    Both years I found CP2 to the finish the toughest.

• Advertisement

As above.

There’s plenty of route choice. Some are faster/slower depending on conditions.

First off road section is what breaks a lot od people

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

I was out finding my ideal route from CP2 to Table track, pretty wet up there

Everyone ready to go? Weather is looking quite nice. Most likely dry and cold although you never really know until you get up into the hills.

Should be some fast-ish times given the recent dry weather.

It’s almost disappointingly mild! Makes a change from last year which was fairly brutal with a high dnf rate.

Almost shorts weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Best of luck everyone! its a massive challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck, almost (but not quite) sorry I won't be there :)

Djoucer wrote: »
    It’s almost disappointingly mild! Makes a change from last year which was fairly brutal with a high dnf rate.

Almost shorts weather.

Was it cold or rain that made last year so difficult?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Was it cold or rain that made last year so difficult?

The rain. It rained from the start to the finish. People got colder much earlier than previous years and the first mtn section was a shock. Conditions were awful. Some of the river crossings were dodgy and even became impassable for later runners.

Table track was basically just a river. Was 67 DNFs out of 200.

• Advertisement

Is this the first year with CP0 at stone cross? Anyone know if water will be available there?

Advertisement