Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your own sausages - how economical

Options
  • 31-10-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Years ago I had a basic sausage machine and really enjoyed making my own.

Looking into it again and don't mind the investment into equipment etc, but wondering what cuts of meat I'd use and how much it would cost to produce my own.

Anyone making ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think it would very much depend on your economies of scale and how fussed you are on whether your pork is Irish or not. I've personally given it up almost completely as I decided to only eat free-range and I have to go out of my way to get it.

I think making many things at home is more about the process and the enjoyment of it rather than the economics, though, no? Bread, pasta, pastry are all cheaper to buy than make but plenty of us make them regardless because we enjoy it. I'd be approaching your sausage-making on that basis :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I think it would very much depend on your economies of scale and how fussed you are on whether your pork is Irish or not. I've personally given it up almost completely as I decided to only eat free-range and I have to go out of my way to get it.

I think making many things at home is more about the process and the enjoyment of it rather than the economics, though, no? Bread, pasta, pastry are all cheaper to buy than make but plenty of us make them regardless because we enjoy it. I'd be approaching your sausage-making on that basis :-)

Yeh, actually economics was the wrong word to use. I have access to plenty of free range pork which is a plus but its fairly lean and I guess I wondering more the type of cut to use as I'm presuming a realistic fat content is needed which won't always be found in the top cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have never made sausages as I dont eat them all that often. But I would imagine pork belly and pork shoulder would suit the high fat content you need. Some of the gourmet sausages you see around these days should give you inspiration for spices and flavourings to go with the mince.

Advertisement