Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikmo Bike Insurance (Cycling Ireland)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Howdy folks, just wondering if anyone has their bike insured with Bikmo who are partnered with Cycling Ireland.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/insurance/bikmo-bike-insurance

https://bikmo.ie/cycling-ireland

I purchased a new bike recently and I'd like to insure it.

The quote I have gotten is about 10% of my bike's value.

You can add your bike onto most household policies.

And they use the word 'ride'. I'm out.

Just did a quote there, seems a bit of a joke, the only rating factors are bike value and number of bikes!
    I'd put this in the category of income protection insurance as another thing financial institutions use to extract money from people who have more of it than they know what to do with.
    I'd be really, really, really reading the small print on this if you decide to go with it. Its more expensive than car insurance in my case, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Another vote for the house insurance. Even factoring in the potential loss of no claims (i.e. adding that value on to the increase in cost of house insurance), it worked out cheaper, with far less restrictive terms and conditions than the bike specific insurance I was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

I'd echo whats been said above. Unfortunately had my bike stolen(from home) this year and claimed off the house insurance. Pleasantly surprised that my policy only increased by about 10% when the renewal came around.
    Hadn't even added it onto the policy, so got lucky enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks for the replies guys.

Regarding home insurance, is there an upper limit to the value of the bike that you can insure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Regarding home insurance, is there an upper limit to the value of the bike that you can insure?
    It depends. I had to phone them to talk to them - they wouldn't do an online quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thanks for the replies guys.

When I worked in insurance, the company I worked for allowed 1000 at the time, May have changed now. I personally think paying 400-500 a year to insure a bike is a bit obscene.

Advertisement