Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hold on money

• 31-10-2018 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Bit of a strange one and hope this is best place to ask.
    So Thursday 2 weeks ago I went to London with my wife. We checked into hotel and on check had to validate the card I would be using to pay. The hotel put a hold on the full amount of the payment for the 3 nights, which didn't show as a deduction on my account but my account was less that much available if you get what I mean. Nothing out of the ordinary so far.
    When I was checking out and paying on the Sunday, a transaction from the hotel was put through and it showed up on my online app as a transaction straight way, so the money deduct from my balance and from the available money as well.
    I was thinking I would receive the original hold back and the available money would go back to what it should be.
    I had rent due Tuesday which brought my account into my pre arranged overdraft, but I would have had enough in the account to cover rent if the original hold had been refunded.
    I got paid on last Friday(weekly paid) and as off yet I can not withdraw any money as my account still has not had the hold released on it. This is according to the bank, who I have been in contact with about this. The hotel is adamant they have released the hold, after a few days of communication with them I got out through to a manager who stated himself that he personally released the hold on the original money from the Thursday. The bank are still saying it hasn't been released or that they can't see it has been released.
    I have had to go this full week with access to any of my wages in my account, and am due to be paid again tomorrow. I am worried this will also be frozen.
    How long is the normal procedure for these holds to show back up into an account, as it will be 2 weeks tomorrow.
    Ulster Bank have not been helpful, basically saying there hands are tied.
    For example, I had +600 in my account. Checked into hotel, - 400 was placed on hold so my account was at 200 but didn't show up as a transaction for 400,just went off the balance. Got paid that Friday, so account went to 600 again. Didn't use card all weekend as had changed euro to sterling beforehand in post office. Checked out Sunday, my account went to 200 again and showed up as an actual transaction . Rent went out tuesday, so account went to - 400. Paid last Friday, account went to 0. I have an overdraft pre arganged for 650. So essentially I should have 650 available to me until pay day Thursday night/Friday morning.
    Has anyone any experience with a situation like this or what way it might play out?
    Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The issue is between your card provider and the hotel. Get them to talk to each other and sort it from there.

p.s. If it was me and things were that tight money wise I'd have stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

The issue is between your card provider and the hotel. Get them to talk to each other and sort it from there.

p.s. If it was me and things were that tight money wise I'd have stayed at home.

They have been talking to each other, the hotel have been in contact and have stated that they have taken the hold off, the question was does anyone have any experience with this or how long it takes

p.s it was an example, but thanks for your concern and snide remark.. Very helpful.. You sound like you have loads of friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

They have been talking to each other, the hotel have been in contact and have stated that they have taken the hold off, the question was does anyone have any experience with this or how long it takes

It should only 2-3 days OP.
    :rolleyes:

martyoo wrote: »
    It should only 2-3 days OP.

:rolleyes:

Thank you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

flas wrote: »
    ....p.s it was an example, but thanks for your concern and snide remark.. Very helpful.. You sound like you have loads of friends

I was talking about myself, and not you. I know all about being in a tight spot financially thanks all the same. I hope everything pans out well for you.

• Advertisement

I was talking about myself, and not you. I know all about being in a tight spot financially thanks all the same. I hope everything pans out well for you.

No problem, thanks for your time

Advertisement