Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does an estate agent have to give honest answers?

Options
  • 31-10-2018 3:39pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question. I'm looking at buying a semi-derilect property and it's been on the market for quite a while, like several years. Basically, if I ask the EA why it has been on the market for so long ie is there an issue with neighbours (about 1km away) or something, do they have to be honest with the answer or can they just rattle off some speil? If it was somewhere more urban, I'd quite happily knock in to the neighbours and ask what the area was like and what the craic was with the house, but because it's so isolated I don't know would there be much point.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Toots wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I'm looking at buying a semi-derilect property and it's been on the market for quite a while, like several years. Basically, if I ask the EA why it has been on the market for so long ie is there an issue with neighbours (about 1km away) or something, do they have to be honest with the answer or can they just rattle off some speil? If it was somewhere more urban, I'd quite happily knock in to the neighbours and ask what the area was like and what the craic was with the house, but because it's so isolated I don't know would there be much point.

The EA can only give info based on the info giving to him by the owner. Asking him/her what the area is like is worthless, unless they actually live there themselves.

In other words, they are acting on behalf of the seller, assume they know nothing about the place and investigate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There is no Yes/No answers; but I think if you are approaching/ dealing with an estate agent on the basis that you think they are lying to you, then in my view thats a bad approach.

Note - you have specifically used the word 'Honest' answers; which is not the same as 'Informed' answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If it was somewhere more urban, I'd quite happily knock in to the neighbours and ask what the area was like and what the craic was with the house, but because it's so isolated I don't know would there be much point.

Why not? If you pop into them and ask them what the story is with the house you'll quickly have an impression of whether or not they'd be happy to see someone move in there or whether or not perhaps it's been on the market for so long because of them?

Some information is always better than no information

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

wexie wrote: »
    Why not? If you pop into them and ask them what the story is with the house you'll quickly have an impression of whether or not they'd be happy to see someone move in there or whether or not perhaps it's been on the market for so long because of them?

Some information is always better than no information

Read the op, the closest neighbour is 1km away

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Read the op, the closest neighbour is 1km away

Well one of us did anyways.....
    if I ask the EA why it has been on the market for so long ie is there an issue with neighbours (about 1km away) or something,

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Get a pre-planning meeting before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

An EA will not know the neighbours of a property they are selling for a client, unless they live on the same road.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

wexie wrote: »
    Well one of us did anyways.....

:rolleyes:

And your advice was to ask them anyway.
    "Excuse me, im thinking about buying a house 1km away from you, i hope you dont mind..."
    Would yoy recommend to ask every single person living in the radius of 5km?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

My old next door neighbour, an estate agent was selling his own house, it turned out I knew the guy buying also,

During the sale the EA kept saying he'd relay the offer to the Vendor (his wife's name), at no point did he say it was his house, the sale went through and when they moved in the EA had to call over for a few weeks collecting his mail, balls of steel.

My point being, there is money in it for them so they'll tell what you want to hear - ask the neighbours, they'll know everything.

Yes, indeed, if there is an issue with them it'd be the quickest way to find out.

Do you think the agent would scupper a potential sale and tell them that the neighbours are assholes?

Maybe not every house no, but if someone is thinking of buying a house in an area they don't know then yes I would advise them to have a look around and have a chat with the locals.

If you don't think that's good advice then I don't really know what to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

"Excuse me, im thinking about buying a house 1km away from you, i hope you dont mind..."

You don't live anywhere rural do you? They will be probably better informed than next door neighbours in an estate.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The reason I ask is I'm aware that in some other countries the estate agents are obliged to disclose if there's a dispute with neighbours or that sort of thing. I'm not from the area I'm looking in, so my worry would be landing in somewhere with absolute psychos for neighbours and not being able to sell up and leave. Obviously if the estate agent isn't aware of it, that's fair enough, they can only give what info they have.

I don't necessarily automatically assume the estate agent isn't being honest, but we've had 2 properties now where the estate agents have been "economical" with the truth when we asked questions. One in particular we asked were there any structural issues and were told no, place is structurally good, only needs renovation on the inside. We got in touch with a surveyor to get him to look at the house, and told us he didn't need to survey it because he'd already been out to survey it for a different buyer and there was a serious issue with it. This issue caused the previous buyer to pull out and they told the estate agent why, so the estate agent was aware of the issues but just didn't tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

There is no obligation to disclose defects in Ireland.

Most do however, especially if asked. Its not worth their while either putting time into a prospective buyer who wont if the issue is known.

I'm not from the area I'm looking in, so my worry would be landing in somewhere with absolute psychos for neighbours and not being able to sell up and leave.

Is there a pub anywhere near(ish) the house?

Go down some sunday afternoon, have lunch (if they have it) and a few drinks.

Have a chat
    So where you from?

Oh not from around here but we're looking at houses.

Oh really? Whereabouts?

May or may not work, and you may or may not get reliable information.

But it's worth a shot, even just to get a feel for the place and FWIW I've seen it done here and people were all too happy to volunteer information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

An estate agent is an agent of the seller. They can say (and often do) anything they want to get the best price for their client - THE SELLER. They are not your friend. They should not be depended on for any information. Always check what they tell you with another, independent, source.

There are, naturally, many fine, honest estate agents. You've no way of knowing if the agent your dealing with is one of those. Their industry codes of conduct aren't worth tuppence to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

davindub wrote: »
    There is no obligation to disclose defects in Ireland.

Most do however, especially if asked. Its not worth their while either putting time into a prospective buyer who wont if the issue is known.

This, one sure way to lose money is to work twice for the same fee.

Advertisement