Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Sky customers in Corbally?

• 31-10-2018 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭

If so, how do you rate the service, particularly their broadband, seemingly my address is good for their fibre broadband, currently with Virgin but may be tempted to move
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I am. Moved to Sky from Virgin last year. Getting 40Mb on WiFi which is about max the line in capable of. Was getting 70Mb/240Mb on Virgin but to be honest I haven’t noticed the difference in speed. Service is the same. I’m about 50 meters from a cabinet.

The eircom cable coming into the house was 20 years old so I couldn’t self install & a tech came out.

Different tech came out for the dish. Two different contractors for dish/cable so be prepared for two install apts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I am. Moved to Sky from Virgin last year. Getting 40Mb on WiFi which is about max the line in capable of. Was getting 70Mb/24b on Virgin but to be honest I haven’t noticed the difference in speed. Service is the same. I’m about 50 meters from a cabinet.

The eircom cable coming into the house was 20 years old so I couldn’t self install & a tech came out.

Different tech came out for the dish. Two different contractors for dish/cable so be prepared for two install apts.

Thanks,

We'd be similar so, our currently unused phoneline is in 20 years, assume it still works, it's donkeys since we used a landline phone, any regrets about moving & how much did the install cost if you remember?
    Thanks

Thanks,

We'd be similar so, our currently unused phoneline is in 20 years, assume it still works, it's donkeys since we used a landline phone, any regrets about moving & how much did the install cost if you remember?
    Thanks

I have no regrets about moving. The install was €30 but that included SkyQ and the telephone line.

I don’t use the house phone either and was thinking it’d be a pain having it in the hall as opposed to next to the Horizon but when the tech ran a new wire, he put it into a front room for me.

I know years ago, the install fee for running a telecom cable was something ridiculous like €150 but they don’t charge that anymore.

Another thing to mention, if you’re getting a SkyQ is it doesn’t have to be wired to the modem. My modem comes in through the front of the house and dish comes in at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Same here no regrets and great service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Exact same

There are fibre lines being upgraded in the area right now also. So hopefully that means increased speeds.

• Advertisement

Thanks, The house was built in 1997 , we bought it in 2003, can't remember if we ever had an actual physical landline phone, there are phone sockets in the house, brought an old working phone from work & plugged it in expecting to hear a dial tone but nothing, any idea what the story is with that as I believe you need a landline for Sky

Thanks, The house was built in 1997 , we bought it in 2003, can't remember if we ever had an actual physical landline phone, there are phone sockets in the house, brought an old working phone from work & plugged it in expecting to hear a dial tone but nothing, any idea what the story is with that as I believe you need a landline for Sky

My land line didn’t work either as hadn’t been used in years. Had been with UPC for the phone since moving in.

If memory serves, the modem came out and I had to then ring them to tell them I couldn’t self install. I tried arranging a tech before the modem was delivered but no dice. Their policy is to send modem first then book tech if needed.

They’ll say ‘line activated’ on a certain day but that means a tech did something at a cabinet box nearby.

Basically, the network tech activated the line (never saw him) and an in house tech came and ran a new cable from the pole into the house. This is just the way their install procedures are.

My land line didn’t work either as hadn’t been used in years. Had been with UPC for the phone since moving in.

If memory serves, the modem came out and I had to then ring them to tell them I couldn’t self install. I tried arranging a tech before the modem was delivered but no dice. Their policy is to send modem first then book tech if needed.

They’ll say ‘line activated’ on a certain day but that means a tech did something at a cabinet box nearby.

Basically, the network tech activated the line (never saw him) and an in house tech came and ran a new cable from the pole into the house. This is just the way their install procedures are.

So you had TV service before BB?

Didn't realise telephone lines went inactive or were disconnected, definitely worked back in the day as used to access the internet on dial-up, any extra charge for getting the landline operating again?

All our utilities are coming in underground

At the moment all Virgin stuff is coming in right to the back of the TV which is perfect, the Mrs won't want any cables ran on the surface, neither would I tbh

I assume there is no problems running cable from dish down the FRONT of house & come in next to VM cables, the phone socket is underneath the stairs which is now behind doors as this area is used for storage but it's still accessable, this location ok for modum?
    Might be possible to wall mount it just outside the doors somehow

So you had TV service before BB?

Didn't realise telephone lines went inactive or were disconnected, definitely worked back in the day as used to access the internet on dial-up, any extra charge for getting the landline operating again?

All our utilities are coming in underground

At the moment all Virgin stuff is coming in right to the back of the TV which is perfect, the Mrs won't want any cables ran on the surface, neither would I tbh

I assume there is no problems running cable from dish down the FRONT of house & come in next to VM cables, the phone socket is underneath the stairs which is now behind doors as this area is used for storage but it's still accessable, this location ok for modum?
    Might be possible to wall mount it just outside the doors somehow

I ordered Sky TV and Broadband at the same time. Think there was about a week between the two installs.

The TV does come in the same spot as the Virgin wires, tech had to drill a new hole for Sky cable though.

There was no charge for getting a new active line put in. The thing you have to remember about old lines is, although they may be connected at the cabinet and at your house, a neighbor might have been gardening somewhere close by and snipped a cable etc. You’d never notice as you’re not using the line.

Couldn’t say about having the modem behind doors. It’s generally advisable to have it in an open area as walls etc might interfere with WiFi signal. That’s across all BB providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You also need an upgraded DSL Filter installed in your home by an Engineer. Not Sky but a Telco engineer as you'd need this for Fibre. Your proximity to the "Cabinet" affects your speed as well. For me, not in Corbally, I'm lucky that my cabinet is at the entrance to my estate.

Sky have a good deal now anyway so join up and let them get you connected. Years ago I'd to get Eir in the house and get stuck with them until they raised the price enabling me to legally leave the contract and move to Sky.

I'm back with Eir now and the speed is as comparable and I get free Eir/BT Sport on my Sky box as well which is handy. I'm in Newport and I get 80mbps on a wireless connection to my own router.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    You also need an upgraded DSL Filter installed in your home by an Engineer. Not Sky but a Telco engineer as you'd need this for Fibre. Your proximity to the "Cabinet" affects your speed as well. For me, not in Corbally, I'm lucky that my cabinet is at the entrance to my estate.

Sky have a good deal now anyway so join up and let them get you connected. Years ago I'd to get Eir in the house and get stuck with them until they raised the price enabling me to legally leave the contract and move to Sky.

I'm back with Eir now and the speed is as comparable and I get free Eir/BT Sport on my Sky box as well which is handy. I'm in Newport and I get 80mbps on a wireless connection to my own router.

Sky organize the telco engineer though. That’s what I was saying earlier. I had no contact with Eir.

Think I might give sky a go, I'm about 150m from the main cabinet at the entrance of the estate, have been with VM / UPC for years, very few issues over a long period but along with gas & electricity looks like you have to switch supplier annually in order to keep the price 'reasonable', have already done the cancel & re sign up in spouse's name but their box is crap really

I believe our estate has fibre for Sky, ill just double check that, there are also underground connections for stuff on the pathway just in front of the house, I know this because the couple who used to live next door switched to VM one year & someone from VM was working there, set neighbour up & I lost my broadband, took 3 days for him to come back & reconnect whatever he accidentally disconnected

I'll have a chat with the lads in the parkway but order online 107 pm for TV Inc sports in two rooms + BB + phone for 12 months is what I was getting on the phone from sky

Advertisement