Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrate Outlook to a new machine

Options
  • 31-10-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have Outlook 2007 on one machine and I want to migrate it to a new machine.

I installed a fresh copy of Outlook 2007 on the new machine

I copied the .pst file from the original machine and put it in the Outlook data folder on the new machine.

All my emails, folders and address book are there but none of my email accounts are present.

Where am I going wrong?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I have Outlook 2007 on one machine and I want to migrate it to a new machine.

I installed a fresh copy of Outlook 2007 on the new machine

I copied the .pst file from the original machine and put it in the Outlook data folder on the new machine.

All my emails, folders and address book are there but none of my email accounts are present.

Where am I going wrong?

PST is just data file - like snapshot of all Outlook items at the time it was taken, but it doesn't add account. Useful (among other purposes)to get all mail messages, etc into outlook instead of re-downloading all over again killing your internet. It was invented at the time when internet speed was not exceeding 2 figure numbers in Kbps

Create new profile, add mail account to Outlook, then import .PST

.PST file can be stored as backup of your messages, calendar, etc., as you have experienced you can open .pst in outlook even without original account present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I am presuming your email accounts are POP

This tool can be used to get account details and passwords if you don’t have them

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

Some AVs will flag it as a virus but I have been using it for years without any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

PST is just data file - like snapshot of all Outlook items at the time it was taken, but it doesn't add account. Useful (among other purposes)to get all mail messages, etc into outlook instead of re-downloading all over again killing your internet. It was invented at the time when internet speed was not exceeding 2 figure numbers in Kbps

Create new profile, add mail account to Outlook, then import .PST

.PST file can be stored as backup of your messages, calendar, etc., as you have experienced you can open .pst in outlook even without original account present.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I am presuming your email accounts are POP

This tool can be used to get account details and passwords if you don’t have them

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

Some AVs will flag it as a virus but I have been using it for years without any issue

Thanks lads, so I will have to manually setup all my accounts again?

I have a mixture of POP and IMAP accounts.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

You’ll probably want to copy the nk2 file from the profile folder on the old computer.
    This stores the drop down list it previously typed addresses

Advertisement