Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working night and day shifts

• 31-10-2018 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

My company has just started doing night shifts and I really don't mind doing them but I am really struggling as my shifts are all mixed between days and nights. I.e. I'm in 8pm to 5am tomorrow night then Friday is my day off and Saturday I'm in 7am to 4pm and it's like this most weeks. Like how do people do this, I only started last week and I honestly don't know if I'm coming or going. I feel like I'm not getting a full day off as I have an hours drive home so get home around 6.15am and will be leaving for work in less than 24 hours. Anyone have any experience or advise on how to sleep? I'm dreading the next few weeks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I worked nights most of my working life and for 15 years nights only
    My advice for sleep is make sure the bed is warm , when you come in tired and cold you will find it hard to warm up . So an electric blanket or hot water bottle will help
    Don't go to bed hungry , have toast or cereal or hunger will wake you
    Use ear plugs to dampen noise and blackout blinds are essential too
    Don't delay going to bed , eat and drink then straight into a warm bed . I
    If you are not working that night again get up after 6 hours so you can sleep again that night
    If you are doing two nights in a row then sleep longer
    It takes time to adjust but it can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Could you leave and go to a better job?

Night shifts are known for being bad for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

Ive been on nights the past 3 months 7 on and 7 off. 12 hour shifts.

There is nothing good about night work, i already feel like theres damage been done. Ill be looking for something else after christmas id advise you to do the same.

For now id recommend to you is to not to head to bed the minute you get home, give yourself 45 mins to an hour to wind down. I found that i can get to sleep quicker when i do go to bed if i do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I did it for a year many moons ago. Was young then so didn't bother me much. I thought.
    But i was all over the place.

Wasn't fun so I left the place it wasn't worth it . New job was a refreshing change.

Personally I'd start looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PapaOscar wrote: »

There is nothing good about night work, i already feel like theres damage been done. Ill be looking for something else after christmas id advise you to do the same.

For now id recommend to you is to not to head to bed the minute you get home, give yourself 45 mins to an hour to wind down. I found that i can get to sleep quicker when i do go to bed if i do that.

There’s nothing good about 12 hour shifts either, especially 7 in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

L'prof wrote: »
    There’s nothing good about 12 hour shifts either, especially 7 in a row

Needs must at the minute. Soon as i get christmas over im gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭rapul

Yeah I do 12 hour nite shifts aswell ,4 on 4 off,3 on 3 off ,for about 2 years now and was a night porter before that ,to be honest I find it fine although I need very little sleep due to a young child aswell ,baby was born while doing this work ,just try get into a routine I guess if u can ,or progress onto days with hard work? I would think if any company seen you stuck nite shifts for a long time it would surely be beneficial,more so rambling than helping sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Get a new job, op.
    I do shift work myself, granted not as extreme as you however it feels like I am always at work, but as people say you can't beat a 9-5 job. You get in get your day done, have the evenings and weekends to yourself.

Only reason you should ever do crazy hours is either you can't get anything else or the money is too good to leave. If neither is the case then find something else. Life is too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Lol I used to work 36 hours straight when I was junior doctor not even time to eat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wesser wrote: »
    Lol I used to work 36 hours straight when I was junior doctor not even time to eat

To be fair... that's not exactly the same.
    You were putting in the hours to better yourself. To become a fully fledged doctor, right? To have a good career. A good paying job. You were paying your dues so to speak.

Imagine if you were some warehouse worker doing the same (or even similar) you wouldnt your bollocks lol and you'd be right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Consider moving on, those shifts are very unhealthy, just make sure you're looking after yourself, eat healthy, get enough rest, exercise regularly, and watch alcohol and nicotine intake. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I do something similar to this.
    For example on a Monday i might be 9am to 5pm and then back in 8pm to 8am. I'd have the tuesday off but back in again 9am Wednesday. I feel groggy on my day off, missed a meal and find it hard to sleep that night.

I can only say you get used to it. Im in my 20s with no kids and the money is good. Others have families and have to travel up to an hour home after being on call. Its not healthy at all.

Maybe give it a chance. A few months anyway and see how you feel. If the money's good its hard to turn it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

What does your contract say about shift patterns or working hours which the company may need you for?

Also how long were you on the day shift before night shifts were brought in?

Was change in working schedule agreed after consultation with staff?

There could be reasonable recourse to challenge these shifts depending on answers to above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Leddy2688 wrote: »
    My company has just started doing night shifts and I really don't mind doing them but I am really struggling as my shifts are all mixed between days and nights. I.e. I'm in 8pm to 5am tomorrow night then Friday is my day off and Saturday I'm in 7am to 4pm and it's like this most weeks. Like how do people do this, I only started last week and I honestly don't know if I'm coming or going. I feel like I'm not getting a full day off as I have an hours drive home so get home around 6.15am and will be leaving for work in less than 24 hours. Anyone have any experience or advise on how to sleep? I'm dreading the next few weeks

Since your company has just started doing this i think you should mentioned it to them sooner rather than later.

Most companies dont mix the night/day stuff in a single week.

My companies support department runs 24 hours but they will give someone a week of nights. Then 2-3 days off, followed by a week of day shifts etc.

They are just asking for chaos by mixing day night like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Suggest a continental style shift, nights day at that rate are not good but when set in stone they work for both parties.

The shift you are on is erratic and will harm you and anyone else on it.

If you are covering a 24/7 period the options would be either 3x12 hour shifts with one Saturday a month (cheapest for employer). So you would do Sun/Mon/Tue nights or Days, then Wed thur/Fri nights or days and one Sat a month.

Rotated monthly well it works.

Other option is 4 days on 4 days off, nights for a month and days for a month. (costs more for employer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Leddy2688 wrote: »

what does your month or even fortnight look like?

How much extra are you being paid to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I seriously think that there should be a law introdced preventing companies alternating employees shifts...
    Whatever you do(days or nights)you really need to stick to that routine, if you choose nights then stick with nights, it will take your body only a short time to adapt to your routine, it's so important for your mental and physical well-being,.. if you choose nights then prepare your home, body and soul for this, as in dark room(curtains etc)ear plugs, eating times, staying up late on your nights off etc etc..... This is a serious issue and the effects of NOT being regular and routenely are huge and will effect your mood and mental wellness........

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Im doing shift work now 16 years and you never get used to it ..You never get a routine .You may have time off but you find you are knackered .
    I also find you start to lose contact with a lot of people as will .My advice to anyone on shift is never get used to the shift allowance bank it and dont rely on it ..so when the time comes you can afford to go on days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Could you leave and go to a better job?

Night shifts are known for being bad for your health.

What a load of bull. I work in the airport and start at 4am most days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I wouldn't call that a night shift tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

There is plenty of literature supporting the fact working night shifts long term effects your health.

Shift work has been linked to certain diseases and certain cancers. Insufficient sleep has been shown to change metabolism and appetite, and shift workers have been shown to have higher levels of triglycerides than day workers. Shift workers can have irregular eating habits and poor diet. When your circadian rhythm is out of sync your resting metabolic rate decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Leddy2688

I feel the same, I've been really emotional since it I've started and I'm never usually like that. They are 9 hour shifts so not as bad as 12. I just wish I had week on week off or something, I'm finding it so hard doing days and nights in the same week

I feel the same, I've been really emotional since it I've started and I'm never usually like that. They are 9 hour shifts so not as bad as 12. I just wish I had week on week off or something, I'm finding it so hard doing days and nights in the same week

Get a new job, op.
    I do shift work myself, granted not as extreme as you however it feels like I am always at work, but as people say you can't beat a 9-5 job. You get in get your day done, have the evenings and weekends to yourself.

Only reason you should ever do crazy hours is either you can't get anything else or the money is too good to leave. If neither is the case then find something else. Life is too short.

I think 9-5 would be the dream! I have the same attitude as you I agree life is too short. The money is great and I'm getting married in May so need every penny I can get at the moment, so looks like I'll be sticking it out until then. Might just not go back after the wedding :)

What does your contract say about shift patterns or working hours which the company may need you for?

Also how long were you on the day shift before night shifts were brought in?

Was change in working schedule agreed after consultation with staff?

There could be reasonable recourse to challenge these shifts depending on answers to above.

It doesn't it just says I must be fully flexible across 7 days a week. On days for 4 years but have done maybe 5 nights in that time (if there were contractors in doing work at night I'd work through the night) There was no mention of it happening it just gradually stared to appear on the rota, first started 3pm to midnight then 6pm to 3am etc. It's the kind of job where you just get on with it and if you say anything you are the worst in the world. The structure is a manager, an assistant manager, 3 team leaders (I am one of them) and about 30 other staff. All the team leaders and about 10 others do the mad hours and the rest do 8-5 and 9-6 daytime hours. The others in my position just get on with it so I am afraid to say anything. One girl did come in with a doctors cert recently stating she can't work past 10pm as it's affecting her health and now she's in the bad books

micks wrote: »
    what does your month or even fortnight look like?

How much extra are you being paid to do this?

So last weeks hours were Sun 11am-8pm Mon 6pm-3am Tues 3pm-12am Wed off Thursday 7am-4pm Friday 6pm-3am off Saturday and back 7am Sunday
    This week is 8pm-5am Mon off Tuesday 8pm-5am thurs and Friday and back at 7am Saturday. Next week is off Sunday 3pm-12am Monday 11am-8pm Tuesday 7am-4pm Wednesday 8pm-5am Thursday off Friday and 7am on Saturday again. That's pretty much the average month. I get time and 1/2 between 12am and 5am but usually have breaks scheduled in those hours so not much extra.

I seriously think that there should be a law introdced preventing companies alternating employees shifts...
    Whatever you do(days or nights)you really need to stick to that routine, if you choose nights then stick with nights, it will take your body only a short time to adapt to your routine, it's so important for your mental and physical well-being,.. if you choose nights then prepare your home, body and soul for this, as in dark room(curtains etc)ear plugs, eating times, staying up late on your nights off etc etc..... This is a serious issue and the effects of NOT being regular and routenely are huge and will effect your mood and mental wellness........

Completely agree. I didn't sign up for this and I would quit tomorrow if I could. I just moved into my first home with my partner and he works 8-6 5 days a week so I'm starting to not see him a lot, along with the rest of my family ( I moved 40 miles away from work to be closer to family as I used to rent close by work) and it's really getting me down. Even days that I'm home in the evening I'm grumpy and tired and I hate it. We have a cheap mortgage but we're getting married next summer so as soon as the weddings over I'm out. It's horrible trying to sleep in the morning when there's noise outside, but not sleep too much incase you can't sleep that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Might work for some, but myself and many shift workers want and like shift hours, I hate and would never work 9-5 or just days.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I know i used to think it was great better money lots of time off ..But after 16 years of it im starting to look like Keith Richards .
    Thats it for me getting out when i can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Night work 'throws body into chaos'

It's not bull. All you have to do is google it for 1 second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

My husband used to leave Donegal to work in Galway started at 4.30pm Monday afternoon and came back home after finishing on Thursday night Friday morning at 5.30am (4 10 hour shifts he wasn't commuting)
    He's 2 years off them and working 8am to 6pm 4 days a week at home and his sleep still isn't right
    Night shift is a balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I only work nights 6pm to 6am. 3 nights on then 2 week 1 night off then 3 on then 2 nights off then 3 on then 3 on then 3 off and on it goes.

I enjoy it and the work so it doesnt bither me. I have a short commute - under 10 mins so thats no hassle.
    I go straight to slerp - after feeding cats and doggy and promising her ill take her for her walk at 2 when i wake up:) i have breakfast then and bring food for break at 9pm .
    It works for me- where we live is very quiet but i appreciate that night work isnt for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Did nights for a couple of summers - 10.00pm to 8.00am.
    What worked for me was not going to bed when I got home - instead I would stay up until around 1.00pm.
    Didn't have a long commute - only 10 minutes - which may have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭MobileState

I was just wondering, why do you choose night work?

I used to work full time night shift and that's the hardest job ever.

Your body is always tired and the body can't adjust not to sleep during the night.

If I was asked, I wouldn't allow full time night shift (5 days per week).

His schedule wasn't that bad. Extended shift is good for a night workers because then it allows you to have more nights spent at home. The worst is when they treat the night work the same like day work, when you do 5 nights and then you have two night soft duty and then 5 nights again on duty.

I had done that for a some period, and never again.

I had to do it, for some reason, but not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

This is a change to your terms of contract surely?

You could refuse to accept it?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I worked part time only so 7 x 12 hours a month . I did it mainly for the kids . I worked nights my husband worked days and between us we never needed childcare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

The OP has probably come to terms with it after six years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭dennyk

Comedy option: MobileState is actually the OP, who forgot their old Boards login details and forgot making this thread after years of sleep deprivation…

I am doing two nights this week and on my break I decided to read on forum what others say about the night work.

In meantime, I resigned from my current company, I am moving to other company and I won't be doing night work anymore.

Terrible experience.

I wouldn't wish that even to the worst enemy.

• Advertisement

I know that people can't believe that someone is reading posts from before but some topics are always accurate and interesting same like before. But people are shocked if you comment something from the past. Yes, it was six years ago...

Advertisement