Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any solution to wifi electric heaters

• 31-10-2018 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭

Ive got electric heaters and want to be able to turn them on/off via wifi. I know there are wifi sockets on the market but the heaters dont have a socket, just a wire running into a switch on the wall. Is there any product available that will automate the switch over wifi? Failing that is there a way to change out the switch for a plug and do it that way? Or is the switch there because the heater draws more amps that what a regular socket can manage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Look at the electric switch range that lightwaverf have

Standard Ire UK single gang unit

Expensive through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sonoff switch, plenty of options available.
    I use a TH16 with a temp sensor to control a 2kw heater. Easy to automate and simple app interface.
    I think I paid @€;16 including the sensor.

So noff is at a good price range alright

There's another inline 13 amp unit mentioned here recently too

I've a few sonoff devices including the 4 channel unit and the RF repeater the RF switching channel is a handy option as it works when Wi-Fi is down

I'll pop up a picture of the lightwavef interface

Their heating units are designated to a section of the app, with overall stat control, set back temps per room etc.

It's better control for heating than sonoff, you can have soft zones too, group units.

However it's significantly more expensive kit. It is robust and rated for continuous loads but its hard to ignore the sonoff price point.

There are other units too that have been used in student accommodation . They have a control system too.

Stoner wrote: »
    So noff is at a good price range alright

There's another inline 13 amp unit mentioned here recently too

I've a few sonoff devices including the 4 channel unit and the RF repeater the RF switching channel is a handy option as it works when Wi-Fi is down

I'll pop up a picture of the lightwavef interface

Their heating units are designated to a section of the app, with overall stat control, set back temps per room etc.

It's better control for heating than sonoff, you can have soft zones too, group units.

However it's significantly more expensive kit. It is robust and rated for continuous loads but its hard to ignore the sonoff price point.

There are other units too that have been used in student accommodation . They have a control system too.

The right Sonoff with the TH16 sensor gives a great control interface.
    Temp, humidity and scheduling or thermostat control available.
    I use it to manage a heating setup in an outbuilding/Mancave.
    I run a group with heating and lights down there.
    Integration with Google home is nice and easy too

I've the sonoff
    10 amp, 16 amp , 4 channel, 13 amp sockets, RF bridge etc.
    I find them excellent

However the temp module on the 16 amp is wired to the unit, unless I've missed a remote stat. (Have I)

Nest, tado, hive , lightwaverf etc all have remote stats.

So you can have it in a bedroom etc to meet building regs and to be practical.

I'm big fan of sonoff, don't get me wrong. It's fantastic for the price and a real option.
    But it's no netamo, hive or nest stat imo. But it's a very useful device

The RF switching channel on sonoff is a gift too.

• Advertisement

However the temp module on the 16 amp is wired to the unit, unless I've missed a remote stat. (Have I)

Not that I'm aware of.
    A remote stat would be brilliant.

But for a single room/heater the wired stat isn't really a drawback IMO.
    Yes the other options are much more scalable.

I have a TH16 Wallmounted with the sensor @ 3ft from the plug and about 10ft from the heater its a "good enough" solution for ensuring adequate control of ambient temp at a very reasonable cost.

Granted it limits any scaling along the lines of Tado and similar.

banie01 wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of.
    A remote stat would be brilliant.

I agree it's not a drawback. Plus nest stat or smarthings can link up over IFTT so it's relatively possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks for all the tips, Ive some research to do into the different products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Regarding the TH16. I've a shed/office with an elec rad in it. Is it possible to have the run the TH16 on a schedule. ie. weekdays between 7am-5pm, if the temp is below X to switch on etc.

unklerosco wrote: »
    Regarding the TH16. I've a shed/office with an elec rad in it. Is it possible to have the run the TH16 on a schedule. ie. weekdays between 7am-5pm, if the temp is below X to switch on etc.

Quick answer is yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Be aware that ITEAD(Sonoff) exaggerate the ratings. I wouldnt run the 10A above 6A and the 16A above 9 or 10. The magic black smoke likes to escape.

For 90% of applications this doesn't matter, with heaters it really does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I agree it's not a drawback. Plus nest stat or smarthings can link up over IFTT so it's relatively possible

You can have remote stats,

You simply install another TH16 with sensor and link to the first one. You can do this a number of times.

Scenes allows you to control the main device from the remote sensors.

Simple setup.

ED E wrote:

+1

listermint wrote:
    You simply install another TH16 with sensor and link to the first one. You can do this a number of times.

Good idea.

A bit big, but it it wouldn't need batteries either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ED E wrote: »
    Be aware that ITEAD(Sonoff) exaggerate the ratings. I wouldnt run the 10A above 6A and the 16A above 9 or 10. The magic black smoke likes to escape.

with anything to do with IOT switches / controls and something with a big resistive load >2kw id probably look into a separate 20 amp relay rather than trust the switched load of the device itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good idea.

A bit big, but it it wouldn't need batteries either

Easily hidden, Can be wired to plug

Or just wire into Attic as i have done.

listermint wrote:
    Easily hidden, Can be wired to plug

Yes wiring one would not be an issue for me, but it would for some. A wireless one like the Xiaomi or smarthings units would be much handier but sonoff does not use a low-power NW option.

Advertisement