Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi

Options
  • 31-10-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We have our broadband with Eir, it's fibre to home 300megs, my son has his PlayStation up stairs the router is down stairs he can't get proper connected up stairs , impossible to run cable from router to PS ! Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Minaf wrote: »
    We have our broadband with Eir, it's fibre to home 300megs, my son has his PlayStation up stairs the router is down stairs he can't get proper connected up stairs , impossible to run cable from router to PS ! Any suggestions ?

Home plugs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

We'll need a lot more basic info first. What's meant by can't get proper connected? Is there a connection at all? Or is just slow or dropping out? What other routers are around and what channels are they on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Minaf

Slow and dropping, we've only the one router and it's down stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Slow and dropping
    Plug it directly into the router. If it fixes the issue, get a home-plug; https://www.eir.ie/support/broadband/homeplugs-and-other-accessories/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Get one of these yokes:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541179522&sr=8-3&keywords=tp+link

Plug one of them in downstairs beside the router and connect the ethernet cable to it. Then just put the other one upstairs and run another ethernet cable from that to the Playstation. Then just simply press the little power button on both of them. Works a charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Basically the ceiling is blocking the signal from getting upstairs to the playstation. I've the same issue as we have concrete slab floors. Wi-Fi can't get upstairs, baby monitor can't get down stairs.

I've home plugs. They are expensive. That's one option but also got this wifi extender. Plugged it in the hall at the top of the stairs and get 30mb upstairs. For €13 it's a bargain. I don't use the plugs anymore.

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-WiFi-Amplifier-Pro-Black-383286.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Basically the ceiling is blocking the signal from getting upstairs to the playstation. I've the same issue as we have concrete slab floors. Wi-Fi can't get upstairs, baby monitor can't get down stairs.

I've home plugs. They are expensive. That's one option but also got this wifi extender. Plugged it in the hall at the top of the stairs and get 30mb upstairs. For €13 it's a bargain. I don't use the plugs anymore.

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-WiFi-Amplifier-Pro-Black-383286.html

Just ordered one, does it need an ethernet cable to the router or is it standalone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Just ordered one, does it need an ethernet cable to the router or is it standalone?

It picks your existing wi fi up from the air and just boosts it. So if you have it between the router and the black spot it gives you the extra coverage.

My coverage drops at the top of the stairs so i have it plugged in in the hall.

When you download the app to set it up select region as mainland china. Otherwise the extender wont show up in the list of gadgets you can connect to.

Advertisement