Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Fireworks 2018

Options
  • 31-10-2018 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

It seems like people have lost the run of themselves this evening (31st) with fireworks. Never heard this bad before. It's driving the animals demented - particularly the dogs.

I thought we had a law against the use of domestic fireworks in this country - pity the police wouldn't enforce this law with as much enthusiasm as they do some of the other pieces of relatively obscure legislation.

Wish folks would wise up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

It seems like people have lost the run of themselves this evening (31st) with fireworks. Never heard this bad before. It's driving the animals demented - particularly the dogs.

I thought we had a law against the use of domestic fireworks in this country - pity the police wouldn't enforce this law with as much enthusiasm as they do some of the other pieces of relatively obscure legislation.

Wish folks would wise up!

Ah it's 1 night of the year. I see no harm with children getting to see spectacular displays of light :):)

Now we just have to endure the Looonnng wait to Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

swingking wrote: »
    Ah it's 1 night of the year. I see no harm with children getting to see spectacular displays of light :):)

Now we just have to endure the Looonnng wait to Christmas!

Well, I guess that about says it all then, doesn’t it!?

The ‘children’ you mention who drove us to near distraction until 12:30am with firecrackers, drunken bawling about the roads and firing cans and bottles into people’s gardens, were 16 and 17 year olds - some ‘children’. They’re well able to give plenty of lip to grown adults the same age as their parents and older when chastised!

I also presume, based on your comments, that you’re neither an animal-lover nor pet owner; if you were, you’d appreciate just how bloody distressing it is for both Wild life and domestic animals to be subjected to a barrage of fireworks for 6+ hours and for owners to have to witness it!?

There’re are plenty of other ways for children to be entertained other this kind of senseless annoyance. It seems to me that rather than striking a balance, society today has become ultra child-centred to the extent that parents either fear or refuse to set boundaries on their children’s and teenagers’ behaviour and seemingly defer to them in matters of discipline and guidance. We are cutting a rod with which to beat ourselves by indulging youthful wants and demands thus giving the false impression that anything you want and whatever you wish to do in life is O.K. and attainable - irrespective of its impact on others, society or the environment.

There is an old adage that ‘little straws show which way the wind blows’ last night’s behaviour is one of those straws; your unwitting attitude evidenced in your reply swingking is, I’m sad to say, another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Well, I guess that about says it all then, doesn’t it!?

The ‘children’ you mention who drove us to near distraction until 12:30am with firecrackers, drunken bawling about the roads and firing cans and bottles into people’s gardens, were 16 and 17 year olds - some ‘children’. They’re well able to give plenty of lip to grown adults the same age as their parents and older when chastised!

I also presume, based on your comments, that you’re neither an animal-lover nor pet owner; if you were, you’d appreciate just how bloody distressing it is for both Wild life and domestic animals to be subjected to a barrage of fireworks for 6+ hours and for owners to have to witness it!?

There’re are plenty of other ways for children to be entertained other this kind of senseless annoyance. It seems to me that rather than striking a balance, society today has become ultra child-centred to the extent that parents either fear or refuse to set boundaries on their children’s and teenagers’ behaviour and seemingly defer to them in matters of discipline and guidance. We are cutting a rod with which to beat ourselves by indulging youthful wants and demands thus giving the false impression that anything you want and whatever you wish to do in life is O.K. and attainable - irrespective of its impact on others, society or the environment.

There is an old adage that ‘little straws show which way the wind blows’ last night’s behaviour is one of those straws; your unwitting attitude evidenced in your reply swingking is, I’m sad to say, another.

nnwVNui.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm not talking about teenagers…I'm talking about small children.

I also presume, based on your comments, that you’re neither an animal-lover nor pet owner;

I rescued a dog and would consider myself an animal lover. She gets scared and we put in proper measures to calm her down eg… calming music, inside a safe house.
    There are plenty of other ways for children to be entertained other this kind of senseless annoyance.

Yes I agree, but children look forward to Hallowe'en and as well as dressing up they look forward to seeing fireworks.
    It seems to me that rather than striking a balance, society today has become ultra child-centred to the extent that parents either fear or refuse to set boundaries on their children’s and teenagers’ behaviour and seemingly defer to them in matters of discipline and guidance.

This is a sweeping generalisation. Not all kids badly behave. This is following a media-centric idea that all children are bad don't respect their elders etc…

We are cutting a rod with which to beat ourselves by indulging youthful wants and demands thus giving the false impression that anything you want and whatever you wish to do in life is O.K. and attainable - irrespective of its impact on others, society or the environment.

Really?? :rolleyes:
    your unwitting attitude evidenced in your reply swingking is, I’m sad to say, another.

What attitude? I brought my child to a controlled fireworks display organised by the council and it was one of the best nights he's ever had. And you want to take that away?

Advertisement