Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Air - Stylus for use in Drawing/Survey App

• 31-10-2018 9:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

I have an iPad Air.
    I just downloaded auto desk sketch pro.

My main use will be surveys of houses for later drawing in AutoCAD. Trying to reduce paper use etc

Can anyone recommend a stylus that works on iPad Air.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

kceire wrote: »
    Guys,

I have an iPad Air.
    I just downloaded auto desk sketch pro.

My main use will be surveys of houses for later drawing in AutoCAD. Trying to reduce paper use etc

Can anyone recommend a stylus that works on iPad Air.

I recently got a 2018 iPad for the office, again for building surveys etc., and I use notability, find it a great all-round app. Unfortunately, I don't know enough of about third-party stylus to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

When I had an iPad mini I tried out a number of 3rd party stylus’ and most of them were meh, some were terrible.

I don’t know much about your job but I’d imagine precision is important- the simple fact is I never found a precise enough stylus for writing notes, never mind precise drawings. There was alway a bad lag. Perhaps if you go up to the €100 mark you might find something but the Air itself is old tech and a less responsive screen. I’ve personally found the 2018 iPad (not the pro) and the Apple Pencil to be a fantastic combo. More expensive that just buying a new stylus obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I took baby and crumble's advice previously and got an iPad 2018 non-pro. I use it for both sketching/annotating drawings and photos and taking notes both in work and college (part-time masters).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cheers.
    It wouldn’t be for precise drawings or anything. It’s basically the initial survey/measurement of houses that would be later drawn out fully on Autocad.

No major requirement to use the iPad but I thought it could reduce paper use and ink use on a minor level.

Currently have orthograph on the iPad and from a survey/building measurement point of view, it’s perfect but sketching out floor layouts with my finger is cumbersome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Then I’d say try one of the stylus’ you can get an amazon that have the hard nib and a clear disc, rather than one of the squishy rubber nibs you get on some.

I got the Meko one on amazon and it did things grand just not great. Maybe start there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I’ve heard the Logitech crayon is good, not sure if it’s compatible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Shn99 wrote:
    I’ve heard the Logitech crayon is good, not sure if it’s compatible though.

Only available to educational facilities in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

peteb2 wrote: »
    Only available to educational facilities in the states.

Logitech Pencil is now available for all to buy. As far as I know it isn't compatible with the Air.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have a samsung C Pen for my other galaxy tab (work) and that will not work in the iPad. Is there different materials that will not interface with the Apple screen?

Advertisement