Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cassette, serious chain noise and vibration

Options
  • 31-10-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just bought a new turbo trainer, an elite direto.

I put an identical shimano 105 cassette on it and so tuning the derailleur from the road wheel would be minimal if at all.

But I am have serious chain vibration on the small rings at the back. The chain is vibrating coming off the cassette on top. Bike has di2 and so micro tuning isn't making a difference.

What have I done wrong? Is it possible I inadvertently fitted the smaller rings backwards?

Driving me a little mad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Worn chain on a new cassette?

Spacer missing?

(The rings can't be put on backwards - they only slide on one way).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Are the little black spacers in between the the small cogs. And are the gaps between each cog the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Worn chain on a new cassette?

Spacer missing?

(The rings can't be put on backwards - they only slide on one way).

The chain might have about 5000km on it? Enough to cause an issue?

Spacers all on in the right spot. All rings spaced evenly.

Perhaps I should put cassette from wheel on to it

So there is no backwards..... Is there an inside outside right side?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AlanD wrote: »
    ......So there is no backwards..... Is there an inside outside right side?
    The notches in the rings are different on each side (i.e. left and right as you look at them in front of you) so the rings can't physically slid onto the hub the wrong way round.

Have you put them on in the correct descending order? Largest to smallest.

Re the chain - 5,000 is probably near the end of life for an average chain but a cassette will usually last for 2 or 3 chains. If your current cassette is very worn, it will cause similar wear on the chain.

PS - by spacer I mean the spacer that may go on before the whole cassette is fitted - not spacer between rings.

The notches in the rings are different on each side (i.e. left and right as you look at them in front of you) so the rings can't physically slid onto the hub the wrong way round.

Have you put them on in the correct descending order? Largest to smallest.

Re the chain - 5,000 is probably near the end of life for an average chain but a cassette will usually last for 2 or 3 chains. If your current cassette is very worn, it will cause similar wear on the chain.

PS - by spacer I mean the spacer that may go on before the whole cassette is fitted - not spacer between rings.

Yes, largest to smallest, all good.

It's 11 speed, so no internal spacer. The biggest 3 or 4 rings run smooth. It's once to move from middle and out that it gets crunchy. I've not seen vibration like it before.

I have a chain length tool. Nothing over stretched there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

The biggest four rings are usually one piece then its a spacer and a cog another spacer and a cog etc so its pointing towards a cassette issue. Try swap the old cassette from the wheel on to see if you have any luck

I've read that on the elite direto, that using an inside spacer on an 11 speed cassette helps. So gonna take it apart, try it, see what changes. Try old cassette too if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Hmmm...I have an Elite Turbo Muin B+ and I have similar issues. I can use probably the 5 or 6 largest rings on the cassette but once I drop into the smaller rings, I get what I can only describe as a 'vibration', like something is rubbing (I've checked and it isn't). I've taken the cassette apart a number of times and put it back, tightened it, etc but it's still there. I've ordered a chain wear tool but I don't believe there's enough km's on the chain yet and it runs smoothly in all gears when using the cassette on the wheel :ermm:  

At least someone else seems to have the same issue as me so will watch your results with interest as I haven't been able to find out what is wrong to date.
    FWIW: I have an 11 speed Ultegra drivetrain but am also using an 11 speed 105 cassette on the trainer. Combo should be fine so very puzzling.

Kop Idol wrote: »
    Hmmm...I have an Elite Turbo Muin B+ and I have similar issues. I can use probably the 5 or 6 largest rings on the cassette but once I drop into the smaller rings, I get what I can only describe as a 'vibration', like something is rubbing (I've checked and it isn't). I've taken the cassette apart a number of times and put it back, tightened it, etc but it's still there. I've ordered a chain wear tool but I don't believe there's enough km's on the chain yet and it runs smoothly in all gears when using the cassette on the wheel :ermm:  

At least someone else seems to have the same issue as me so will watch your results with interest as I haven't been able to find out what is wrong to date.
    FWIW: I have an 11 speed Ultegra drivetrain but am also using an 11 speed 105 cassette on the trainer. Combo should be fine so very puzzling.

Today I took it all apart and out one of the two available spacers inside my 11 speed cassette. Two spacers didn't work, couldn't get cap to screw in. I gave the cassette a better tighten than before and it's all running much smoother now. Need to do a long ride, but positive so far.

Advertisement