Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical work in factories etc. (non-RECI)

Options
  • 31-10-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭

Is it true that the regulations regarding RECI/SAFE-ELECTRIC are only applicable to domestic work?

Having spent the last few years working in a service role, I am planning on trying to get back into factory maintenance. I actually have the C&G testing and verification certificate, but obviously I am not a member of RECI.

Now while a lot of the work definitely does not require certification (although wiring up most three phase equipment is significantly more complex and with an equal or greater levels of danger if done incorrectly) are there any areas I should be concerned about?

e.g.
    Can I change the lights in the showers? (or the even the showers!)

Can I add circuits to any of the many different sub boards?

Also for any PSA experts, can I work on the access control systems? (a lot of doors probably would have mag-locks which in previous roles I would have simply replaced)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Restricted Works only exist within a domestic setting. Controlled Works, however, exist in all settings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am working in a pharmaceutical plant at present. The E & I maintenance team are not Safe Electric / RECI registered, nor are they required to be. This would be quite typical.

Edit: Needless to say Et101 and ET105 have to be fully complied with regardless of whether the person doing this work is a REC or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Restricted Works only exist within a domestic setting. Controlled Works, however, exist in all settings.

From the Safe Electric website
    Controlled Electrical Works
    Controlled Electrical Works are works that require certification if completed by a REC. Most electrical works in commercial and industrial environments are covered under the scope of Controlled Electrical Works. While the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) recommend that RECs are hired to complete these works, it is not a legal requirement that only RECs carry out Controlled Electrical Works.

Where an electrical contractor who is not a member of Safe Electric has carried out Controlled Electrical Works, a Completion Certificate needs to be issued by contacting Safe Electric for a Third Party Inspection.

"require certification if completed by a REC"
    Does that mean if not completed by a REC certification isn't actually required?

But the next line says "a Completion Certificate needs to be issued"

Of course I wouldn't be an "electrical contractor", just an employee, though I do need to provide my National Craft Certificate to my new employer (which I expect is a way of them ensuring I am competent)

But perhaps I am overthinking this, just do what I am told (as long as it's safe) and let them worry about the legal situation.

Advertisement