Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which facing House is best for Sun in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

While the GPS solar reflectors (returning 95% of light & heat) aren't cheap e.g.
    https://www.fastcompany.com/1680592/a-mirror-system-that-brings-sunlight-into-the-darkest-corner-of-your-home
    are both at least a couple of hundred notes per unit http://cleardomesolar.com/solareflexpanels.html

You can just buy this for 35 notes:
    '10m Roll Silver White Lightite Mylar Heavy Duty Strong Highly Reflective Mirror Sheeting Foil, 1.2m Wide'
    And attach to concave fixture (not convex unless you're into parabolic outdoor cooking).
    Only issue, might get some funny looks from neighbours.

Using GPS units however you can target a dark North window from 30 feet away for 10hrs or so.
    Surprised these units haven't taken off in Irish cities that are as far north as Saskatoon or Edmonton, Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

It is not the direction that the back garden faces that is important, it is the shade profile. A southwest facing back garden means teh house is to the NE of it so will cast less shadow on the garden. But if there are trees a the back of the neighbours garden to the south or west of you, or if your neighbours house is close to your garden and Sw of it the way your garden faces is irrelevant.

So you need to work out what is to the South and west of the garden that could cast shadows on it in the evenings, "facing" is only a proxy for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

kevincool wrote: »
    Is south-east facing garden OK. I'm planning to buy No:54 house as in the attached. Will this be OK?

How many houses are you buying? 😂Youve said in another thread youre about to buy in Ashfield Swords (a semi-d I presume even though you said in some other thread a while back you wouldnt share a roof with anyone else!) youve also said earlier in this thread you wont be buying for at least a year. Very confusing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

dk1982 wrote: »
    How many houses are you buying? 😂Youve said in another thread youre about to buy in Ashfield Swords (a semi-d I presume even though you said in some other thread a while back you wouldnt share a roof with anyone else!) youve also said earlier in this thread you wont be buying for at least a year. Very confusing!!

This was all correct at that time. But this is the latest. I’m buying only one house. So currently it is detached in swords. I hope all is good with this one.

This was all correct at that time. But this is the latest. I’m buying only one house. So currently it is detached in swords. I hope all is good with this one.

Cancelled this one too as there are 10 social housing units coming next to the home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If you're looking to buy a new build there will be social housing near it. It's the way it is now. If that's a deal breaker move to looking at second hand homes

If you're looking to buy a new build there will be social housing near it. It's the way it is now. If that's a deal breaker move to looking at second hand homes

I’m ok with social housing but 10 houses of social just opposite to my home, that’s a big no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I’m ok with social housing but 10 houses of social just opposite to my home, that’s a big no for me.

I would honestly just buy a second hand home and do it up as you like. They are better value, usually bigger gardens and the community is settled, you generally know what your buying into, there are unknowns with how a new estate will go.

Advertisement