Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Vegan Day Deals

• 01-11-2018 5:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Satisfy those taste and texture cravings, with minimal negative impact to your health, the environment and other lives for bargain prices today!

McGuinness Traditional Take Away
    84 Camden Street Lower, Dublin Southside, Dublin 2
    Coming this Thursday....
    HALF PRICE OFF ALL VEGAN MEALS! 🐮❤️ 🐷 🌱
    To celebrate World Vegan Day on November 1st you'll be able to get 50% off any vegan menu item order online and in store from 5pm-10pm. BE READY VGANG!

The Electric Vegan
    5 Brabazon Hall, Ardee Street, Merchants Quay, Dublin 8
    WORLD VEGAN DAY 1st NOVEMBER 2018 💚In support of World Vegan Day, and in the spirit of what we set out to try to do when we opened up which was to help and encourage people still eating meat and dairy to transition to a plant based diet, we’ll be serving up all our organic, home-cooked & cruelty free meals for only €10 all day on the 1st November AND 1/2 price desserts too just to celebrate the rise in awareness of everything vegan

Feel free to post any more deals you know of :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

€10 for a cruelty free meal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Not sure what you mean with that post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

cormie wrote: »
    Satisfy those taste and texture cravings, with minimal negative impact to your health, the environment and other lives for bargain prices today!

McGuinness Traditional Take Away
    84 Camden Street Lower, Dublin Southside, Dublin 2

The Electric Vegan
    5 Brabazon Hall, Ardee Street, Merchants Quay, Dublin 8

Feel free to post any more deals you know of :)

Its been a while since I have been to McGuinness's - thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ll be celebrating world vegan day by not killing an animal for any of my meals.

I’ll use one that somebody else has pre-killed.

endacl wrote: »

As will most of the population. Don't worry, I accept this is the reality so posts like yours make no odds.

We all have needs, survival, health, and if all we know to meet these needs is what has been taught and marketed to us as the only source of meeting these needs, then we'll assume after all these years, the processes employed to provide these needs are probably the most efficient/humane way.

Once the knowledge that these needs can be provided for through better methods in terms of our health, the environment and the lives of others, then what we thought was once a need, is now a want.

If you agree with the principle that causing harm, where harm isn't needed, is wrong, then by choosing the option that causes the least amount of harm, you're aligning yourself more with that principle. If a need (survival/health) takes the need of another, it's unfortunate for the one that loses out. If a want (taste/texture/culture/tradition) takes the need (life/freedom) of another, then that want is wrong, going by that same principle.

That's really all that vegan means.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

I’ll be celebrating world vegan day by not killing an animal for any of my meals.

Serious question.

Would you still eat meat if you had to slaughter the animal yourself?

Watch a video of abbatoir footage and get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ibrahimovic

I stopped eating pork after i saw one commit suicide on tv, and the fact they are very intelligent (no I have not turned into a muslim like sinead o'connor!) i miss my saussies though, any good veggie ones?

Frunchy wrote: »
    Serious question.

I think a more fitting question to the posters likely geographical position is would they still slaughter an animal, when there's so many plant options available and they can fulfil their nutritional requirements far cheaper, healthier and with less impact to the environment, as well as satisfying taste and texture cravings too :P

I'd slaughter an animal if I felt it was a need for my own survival, but this scenario is very unrealistic and far fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Serious question.

Probably not. Then again I don't make my own clothes, cut my own hair, manufacture my own car etc.

Do you get my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

i miss my saussies though, any good veggie ones?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

i miss my saussies though, any good veggie ones?

Why do you want food that resembles the food you don't want to eat?

Why bother coming into a Vegan BA to give out about vegans in the first place?

The whole point of this forum is to alert people to deals around the place. Leave the politics/morality/football loyalties etc. at the door, or GTFO.

Serious question.

Yep. Have done plenty. Fish, rabbit and deer.

Probably not. Then again I don't make my own clothes, cut my own hair, manufacture my own car etc.

Do you get my point?

What is your point? I mean I said I would slaughter an animal for my survival/health if I had to and I'm the one who posted the thread.
    No.

Have you tried every vegan sausage ever made?

ibrahimovic, there's plenty. The healthiest I know of available in Ireland would be Dees. They are pretty tasty, give them a shot :)

Sausage, steak, burger etc... these are all just shapes and portion sizes that have traditionally been shaped with animal food. A sausage no way resembles the actual flesh of an animal if you were to hunt it down and kill it with your bare hands and rip it apart with that jaw of yours, without any herbs, seasoning etc, good luck with that, I'd go for the pick fruit off a tree option myself :)

Tastes and textures can grow taste and cravings, it's completely understandable somebody would like to see about replicating those same tastes and textures that they enjoyed, with different core ingredients. People generally don't eat animals because they like the thought of eating an animal, it's because they for the most part believe it's required for human health and enjoy the taste and texture. So if you can get more health benefits from using non animal ingredients and replicate the taste and texture, then surely you can see the logic in that? :)

The whole point of this forum is to alert people to deals around the place. Leave the politics/morality/football loyalties etc. at the door, or GTFO.

Well when the meal that is a supposed bargain is described as "cruelty free" you are pretty much opening the door to an argument. Its an adjective used to incite an emotional response so dont be surprised when there IS an emotional response.

Can you describe the emotions you felt in responding to it? The eye roll doesn't convey much, other than a possible disagreement with it, if that's the case, what do you disagree with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tesco have 3 Quorn products for 7.50 euro. I know not all their stuff is vegan, but they have a few bits. Think this has a couple of weeks left to run actually.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Hogzy wrote: »
    Well when the meal that is a supposed bargain is described as "cruelty free" you are pretty much opening the door to an argument. Its an adjective used to incite an emotional response so dont be surprised when there IS an emotional response.

The OP didn't use the phrase "cruelty free", it's just how the restaurant described it. It's not inaccurate and is a valid selling point for many, so I don't know why anyone would feel compelled to argue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Big bloody steak ,juicyyyyy,yum,yum.

What are you hoping to achieve with a post like this out of interest?

• Advertisement

• Hogzy wrote: »

What are you blabbing on about? Are you honestly trying to imply that killing something no matter the way is not cruel? Hanging a cow for example, upside down & slitting it’s throat to bleed out is not cruel? I’m not a vegan, like, but at least have some bloody cop on and sense. Whether I like it or not meat is murder & cruel, I still eat it, but the fact doesn’t change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Thought process probably went something like this:
    Step 1 - Wind up the vegans because I hate the vegans for reasons. The dirty crusty vegans report my post.

Step 2 - Infraction. A mod bans me. Hatred for the filthy veg eaters intensifies.

Step 3 - Return after suspension to complain about vegan snowflake betas,
    explain how they are obsessed with meat eaters like me, include something about "PC gone mad", "can't take a joke" etc.

Step 4 - Return to my rich and fulfilling life of winding up strangers on the internet. Dinner of Pot Noodle (BEEF, thank you very much) and a pint of milk. Yum.

The sooner this mid-term is over the better.

• @mods can something be done about the nonsense wind ups on this thread? A vegetarian or vegan shouldn’t have to come here and sift through bull**** to find out the deals available. If this was a thread about steak on offer in Tesco there’d be none of this. :rolleyes:

Still for the life of me can’t comprehend the fascination with making fun of someone for their diet.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Thought process probably went something like this:

The sooner this mid-term is over the better.

I guess it's kinda like somebody going into a bargain alert on a dishwasher, gloating about how they don't wash dishes because they believe it portrays them to be a certain way, that somehow gives them an ego boost :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emcnicho

Linda McCarthy's are the closest I have come.

Have you tried the Happy Pear ones? They stuff is usually pretty good.

Pretty simple logic really, because they taste yummy!

• Why do you want food that resembles the food you don't want to eat?

Vegetarians and vegans don’t want to eat animals, that doesn’t mean they can’t like the taste of sausages.

emcnicho wrote: »

will give them a try thanks, the ones in cornucopia are nice but obviously they wont give the recipe.

will give them a try thanks, the ones in cornucopia are nice but obviously they wont give the recipe.

I second the Linda McCartney 'outrageously succulent' sausages, even my diehard carnivore bf will eat them in the place of meat. The red onion & thyme ones (I think that's what they are anyway) are awful though, steer clear of those!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

emcnicho wrote: »

I think the linda mccartney are the nicest ones. Especially these ones.
    http://lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/our-food/frozen-range/vegetarian-red-onion-rosemary-sausages/?Vegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Honestly only making it light hearted,vegan/ carnivores ppl lose the run of themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

any more bargains?

Sorry didnt mean to cause such offense :D

howdosnowfla.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm not a vegan, but the whole 'snowflake' thing is so old at this stage at a defence for derailing when some are even coming in to try and derail vegan threads in bargain alerts of all places, 'snowflake' defence armed and ready. It's a little embarrassing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

There are strong ethical reasons to be vegan which mean that people who enjoy the taste of meat do not want to eat it - as such, they would seek meat alternatives.

With something like processed pork, it's pretty easy to get a good veggie substitute. I actually really like the Linda McCartney veggie sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Why dont you start a new post about that instead of trolling this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

I stopped eating pork after i saw one commit suicide on tv, and the fact they are very intelligent (no I have not turned into a muslim like sinead o'connor!) i miss my saussies though, any good veggie ones?

I used to love the quorn and Linda mccartney but recently the Cauldron ones are on top of my list (the fresh ones from the chilled section not the ones from the freezer that are absolutely horrible). Aldi and Lidl had their own unknown brand but it looks like they stopped selling them: they were decent enough

Then there is of course the rolls royce of veggie sausages: Vegideli
    They are a bit more expensive, but they can be eaten hot or cold

https://www.thehopsack.ie/category/vegi-deli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

right, I've a splitting headache here so let me say it once and not again, COP ON with the crap. Bargains only, anything can be discussed and moaned about in numerous other forums. I'll give warning and coloured cards to anyone who unwisely chooses to ignore me. Now I hope that is clear.....

Does anyone know if Iceland in Dublin sell the No Bull vegan range? There was a 50% off sale on the products rolled out in the UK this week.

Does anyone know if Iceland in Dublin sell the No Bull vegan range? There was a 50% off sale on the products rolled out in the UK this week.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Sorry didnt mean to cause such offense :D

You didn't cause any offense at all :)

Pretty sure I've heard others saying they got them No Bull products in Iceland and I think I remember a friend putting up a picture of a big haul and he's in Dublin himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

You didn't cause any offense at all :)

Pretty sure I've heard others saying they got them No Bull products in Iceland and I think I remember a friend putting up a picture of a big haul and he's in Dublin himself!

Not a great deal of use reply, but they had a couple of No bull bits in Iceland Carlow last month, so presume they're stocked everywhere. I had the burgers, and even less useful to the person who posed the question, I really didn't like them at all.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Why bother coming into a Vegan BA to give out about vegans in the first place?

It’s not ‘giving out’. It’s ‘taking the pi55’.

It’s a subtle yet important distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Alias G

It’s not ‘giving out’. It’s ‘taking the pi55’.

It’s a subtle yet important distinction.

Both of which are pointless and moronic on a bargain alert thread. Great contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Does anyone know if Iceland in Dublin sell the No Bull vegan range?

I'd like to know that too. Would love to try one. I like eating meat, but we all need to make changes, to become more sustainable. My family and I will try to eat more vegan food. We already heat our hot water mostly from the sun, we also have solar PV for electricity and our family car is a pure electric vehicle, charged at night with quite a lot of renewable wind energy

MOD SNIP: READ MOD WARNING

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

I've seen the no bull burgers and quite an extensive range of 'no....' vegan meat substitutes in the Iceland on Talbot st in Dublin city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah, Iceland in Talbot st have the No Bull range - my cousin has tried the No Porkies sausages and said they were just like ordinary pork sausages, and very nice :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah Iceland on Talbot street have them and so does the one in Cabra. I love the classic No Bull Burgers, so good! Also love the "chicken" strips.

I went along to the McGuinness' deal from the OP and it was quite popular, the food was class, I love there. We got pizzas, kebabs, battered sausages, chicken nuggets, philly cheese steak, curry cheese chips etc. The shop said they had record sales for a day in their 18 years of business in just a few hours.

sKaZ18c.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try Linda McCartney ones, Dee's sausages or Moodley Manor's "Savage Sausages", the latter are just available in health food shops. The last two are Irish brands and it's nice to support the local producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

Love Dee's sausages...can be expensive though but a lovely treat. I'm not a fan of soya based meat substitutes but these are made with beans and pea protein.

Also I heard good things about these one's from Aldi: https://www.goshfood.com/product/veggie-sausages/

• Advertisement
Advertisement