Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House for life for 55 euro a week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Off to the social welfare office you go so and dont forget to register as homeless too. You'll be on the pigs back in no time. A real winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The carousel begins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Ah you won't get much support on here....seems to be a lot of scroungers around
    For what it's worth, agree with you. It's not people who need help from time to time it's the put nothing in ever, get everything free forever brigade that books my blood.
    Anyways another scrounger should be along any second with a scarcastic remark to try to quieten your valid point.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Off to the social welfare office you go so and dont forget to register as homeless too. You'll be on the pigs back in no time. A real winner.

Agreed.

Plenty of time off.
    Cheap rent.
    Free money.
    Subsidised healthcare.
    Etc.

Winner winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Why should the children get these homes in succession? That's madness...sure why would they try better themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Not a life I want or desire. But I dont begrudge those that need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Why should the children get these homes in succession? That's madness...sure why would they try better themselves...
    They don't..... Working is not seen as bettering yourself, and most will just follow in parents footsteps. Generational scrounging, it's alive and thriving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Agreed.

Plenty of time off.
    Cheap rent.
    Free money.
    Subsidised healthcare.
    Etc.

Winner winner.

Sitting in work now thinking why am I here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

That’s the bit I don’t get.

Plus I thought if you present as homeless you can’t jump the q for a social house?!!

More lies form the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How much can someone on welfare pay for a house?
    They'll probably pay for themselves in forty odd years anyway with inflation if they're just recovering the building cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

stevek93 wrote: »

Youre on the internet I wouldnt worry too much

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Agreed.

Plenty of time off.
    Cheap rent.
    Free money.
    Subsidised healthcare.
    Etc.

Winner winner.

Its not though, most of these poxbottles will never get to step foot out of Ireland. I cant imagine not having a couple of holidays a year or having money there to do whatever with.Despite what you may think, the free house, dole life is no life at all its a sorry existence. I wouldnt swap places.

PapaOscar wrote: »
    Its not though, most these poxbottles will never get to step foot out of Ireland. I cant imagine not having a couple of holidays a year or having money there to do whatever with.Despite what you may think, the free house, dole life is no life at all its a sorry existence. I wouldnt swap places.

No Proseco darling. Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

Its not though, most of these poxbottles will never get to step foot out of Ireland. I cant imagine not having a couple of holidays a year or having money there to do whatever with.Despite what you may think, the free house, dole life is no life at all its a sorry existence. I wouldnt swap places.

Most of the working class don’t have there couple of holidays a year or surplus money sitting around.

Most are living week to week paying thousands a month to rent and working 40+ hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

kneemos wrote: »
    How much can someone on welfare pay for a house?
    They'll probably pay for themselves in forty odd years anyway with inflation if they're just recovering the building cost.

I doubt they cover the interest on the cost to build

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

Slanty wrote: »
    Most of the working class don’t have there couple of holidays a year or surplus money sitting around.

Most are living week to week paying thousands a month to rent and working 40+ hours a week.

Define working class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can there just be a dole hatred megathread be set up at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Wheeliebin30 the cheapest I’ve heard of someone paying is €23 a week, that’s for a 4 bed semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Envying people who live in council estates

Never thought I would see the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

We do need social houses. There are people who genuinely are living in hotels and on the street.

The 1 annoying thing about it is, people working in Dublin (I'm sure other cities are similar) end up having to move 50+ km away from where they work because they can't afford to compete with their own tax money.

If someone is in need of social housing and isn't working, then they don't need to be inside the M50 or even Dublin. The person contributing to the social housing ends up with a 3 hour commute each day. That's just plain wrong.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Can there just be a dole hatred megathread be set up at this stage.

Put it beside the Judges are out of touch thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

LeBash wrote: »
    We do need social houses. There are people who genuinely are living in hotels and on the street.

The 1 annoying thing about it is, people working in Dublin (I'm sure other cities are similar) end up having to move 50+ km away from where they work because they can't afford to compete with their own tax money.

If someone is in need of social housing and isn't working, then they don't need to be inside the M50 or even Dublin. The person contributing to the social housing ends up with a 3 hour commute each day. That's just plain wrong.

Or, put more industry in rural areas.

Envying people who live in council estates

Never thought I would see the day

Grew up in what was a council house in Dublin, parents bought it before having me though. Thing ya with council estates is anti social behaviour is higher than that of private estates. There have been objections from private estates where the council have tried to buy up houses on the market. But yes in the majority it seems those playing the system to the max are better off than those who work.

Would yiz ever think of poor Maggie wanting her 4eva home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Grew up in what was a council house in Dublin, parents bought it before having me though. Thing ya with council estates is anti social behaviour is higher than that of private estates. There have been objections from private estates where the council have tried to buy up houses on the market. But yes in the majority it seems those playing the system to the max are better off than those who work.

So the begrudgery in this thread is actually people kicking themselves that they're not clever/capable/crafty enough to "play the system to the max", and therefore have less quality of life than those on benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

engiweirdo wrote: »

It's not so much switch your lifestyle over night your on a winner. More growing up in that life and planing your future acorfing to that reality collage pass work pass as soon as old anuff on the houseing list that a baby means x amount of points and increase in benifits and so on

kneemos wrote: »
    Put it beside the Judges are out of touch thread.

Free complimentary pitchfork or torch when you post*

*while stocks last.

screamer wrote: »

Well, that's a lie.

If you are talking of boards.ie of 2001, you may have a point, but boards has and is being taken over by a right wing mentality.

Most contentious threads will have 2/3 people defending a liberal viewpoint, while the majority of the rest will be attacking it.

You may say that is representative of Irish Society, but that is blatantly untrue. Look at the boards exit poll of the recent presidential election. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057923419

Boards has changed from its nice, socially conscious internet forum, to something much worse. But it is a window into how a minority think.

Shenshen wrote: »
    So the begrudgery in this thread is actually people kicking themselves that they're not clever/capable/crafty enough to "play the system to the max", and therefore have less quality of life than those on benefits?

Sadly for some that could be described as the case yes. My eyes were only really opened to it all when it was published what ms cash can/is taking in from the state. It really is a lifestyle choice for some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

screamer wrote:
    Ah you won't get much support on here....seems to be a lot of scroungers around For what it's worth, agree with you. It's not people who need help from time to time it's the put nothing in ever, get everything free forever brigade that books my blood. Anyways another scrounger should be along any second with a scarcastic remark to try to quieten your valid point.....

You are literally giving out that the thread isn't an echo chamber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

For what it's worth, agree with you. It's not people who need help from time to time it's the put nothing in ever, get everything free forever brigade that books my blood.
    Anyways another scrounger should be along any second with a scarcastic remark to try to quieten your valid point.....

No scrounger here, pay a mortgage on a nice home, have a good job, third level education, money on the bank - I've been on welfare, and come from a working class background in a rough neighbourhood where social housing is the norm - I've seen how the majority of people in social housing live, little or no work, some can't even read or write, jails addiction and illnesses are common, medication for anxiety is rampant.

You can oversimplify it to "55 a week housing for the rest of your life" and get a good hate on, but remember, it's a package deal - and I wouldn't begrudge them or wish it on anyone.

happy xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

begbysback wrote: »

happy xmas

Jaysus, it's a bit early for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

1st Nov - it officially begins

What happens if someone gets a job while paying the 55 a week?

He states that’s for life.

This to me is blatant discrimination against people paying mortgages.

Once Halloween is over it’s Christmas!

Thems the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Rent is means tested. Your income increases then so does your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

No it is means tested your income increases your rent increases m. I do believe there's a max limit on how much it can be increased but couldn't tell you at how much. And I'm not sure of how they know if someone's circumstance has changed. If it's voluntrey disclosure or if there tied into revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Average household income in Ireland is just over 50K.. in a high cost country

If you think people are buying homes, raising children and still having multiple foreign holidays a year; you're living in some delusion.

Obviously some people are. And good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Shenshen wrote: »

They are kicking themselves because they are working long hours and paying tax to fund those who "play the system"

We need to bring in "workfare", plenty of things that could be done to improve our towns and cities. Pay at minimum wage so a single person may just need to work about 20 hours/week if married with lots of dependent then they might have to work 48 hours/week.
    The "work" could even be attending courses, subject to them passing tests every few months, if not they should revert to real work.

But giving people money without them having to do anything in return is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like the people who give out about the cushy lifestyle teachers have etc if it's so great why don't you try being a dole jockey?

• Advertisement

Rent is means tested. Your income increases then so does your rent.

Did you listen to the audio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I assume this is a legacy issue in that there is a lot of existing social housing stock in the city centre already, therefore that is where people are housed. I presume any new social housing stock coming on line now is not in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Don't be making me laugh it's too early.

Lets be honest, being on various welfare handouts does not stop all recipients from having a holiday...not in the slightest.

Im sure a lot of us know people who are long term "unemployed" who work cash in hand jobs.

Again, it must be emphasised that there are different catagories of welfare recipients. Generally, nobody has issues with the genuine cases, I know I dont.

Its the able bodied, long termers who have the hand out and abuse the system that frustrate people.

Id like to see the €55 per week houses go to people who actually need and deserve it, not the perpetual lazy grabbers of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Tenants should never be able to buy their council house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if you've ever been on a plane to Alicante or Lanzarote you know that people on social welfare do indeed go on foreign holidays.

They don't..... Working is not seen as bettering yourself, and most will just follow in parents footsteps.Generational scrounging, it's alive and thriving.

Most? Evidence? Fintan O'Toole was writing the other day about how he was raised in a council house in Crumlin. He pointed out that since the foundation of the state, and especially since De Valera started an enormous house building programme in the 1930s, millions of Irish people have been raised in council homes.
    More than 300,000 houses have been built by local authorities in the history of the State – an achievement we should be proud of. If each of those houses has been home to an average of 10 people, that’s three million Irish products of these allegedly terrible places. (Fintan O'Toole, 'Snobbery is at root of housing crisis')

So, your evidence for tarnishing a whole section of our society like this is what, precisely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Well, that's a lie.

If you are talking of boards.ie of 2001, you may have a point, but boards has and is being taken over by a right wing mentality.

Most contentious threads will have 2/3 people defending a liberal viewpoint, while the majority of the rest will be attacking it.

You may say that is representative of Irish Society, but that is blatantly untrue. Look at the boards exit poll of the recent presidential election. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057923419

Boards has changed from its nice, socially conscious internet forum, to something much worse. But it is a window into how a minority think.

People become more conservative as they grow up, get richer, become contributors to society.

Unfortunately you are right, we are in a minority in wider society.

Ultimately a nation where contributors can be outvoted is in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Those houses were built and are owned by the Respond organisation. They can do what the fcuk they like with them, including taking €55 a week in rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well, that's a lie.

What rock were you living under while the abortion threads were going on?

stevek93 wrote: »

You could give up work. Your choice. Ah, you've decided to stay working? I wonder why...

• Advertisement
Advertisement