Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating service

Options
  • 01-11-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I’m sick of holding on your 1901 number to cancel my services with Eir (current record is 25 minutes without a response). Your web chat people haven’t responded either despite waiting 20 minutes for someone. I’m out of contract and my latest bill will be taken out of my account in the next few days. I’m going to cancel the direct debit from my side as Eir make it damn near impossible to get away from them. Goes without saying your customer “service” is beyond terrible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had to do much the same thing - though complaining here did get better results than any of the other way.

There are all sorts of impenetrable rules about cancelling a month before you finish (not sure how you are supposed to know that in advance) relating to line rental, and the incomprehensible billing system. Maybe yours will be different, but it won't be as easy as just stopping paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

looksee wrote: »
    I had to do much the same thing - though complaining here did get better results than any of the other way.

There are all sorts of impenetrable rules about cancelling a month before you finish (not sure how you are supposed to know that in advance) relating to line rental, and the incomprehensible billing system. Maybe yours will be different, but it won't be as easy as just stopping paying.

Thanks. Glad to know it’s not just me then. I’m out of contract and paid up to date. I’ve been trying to get through to this shower for the past week. I’ve my phone bills and screen shots to prove it. Jeez you try to do things the right way and they mess you around. I’m now about to break my record for being left on hold. Might go for the 30 minutes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

What is the procedure now

Do they still make you post a letter?

I'm out of contract in December and have balloon payments after that,so I want.to get out fast

Out of sheer pig headedness I stayed on the phone holding (while simultaneously waiting for a web chat agent who never appeared btw after 40 minutes) and my call was finally answered after holding for 35 minutes and 42 seconds! Despite this, I politely told the Eir rep that I was switching provider. I got the usual “we’ll do you a great deal of €35.99 a month for phone and broadband (which is only 15mbs at best)” and I told her that I was switching to Vodafone’s Siro gigabyte service whichbis €25 a month. So no competition there then! So she went through the legal threatening spiel about if I didn’t pay the final bill or return the eir router, I’d get a bad credit rating etc etc yada yada. Oh really? After paying €67.99 a month for crappy intermittent broadband that cuts out regularly, and after trying for hours to get through to their practically non existent customer service, they then threaten me with a debt collection agency (btw each one of my eir bills was always paid on time and in full). I was told that I’d have to pay for another months “service” and return their router. Ok fine. Now I expect that they will be slow to send out their “return router box” in order to say that I can’t leave until they get their dodgy router back. Shame I can’t just dump it in the nearest Eir shop. Seriously, how does this company stay in business? Appalling customer service and worse broadband service out there. Judging by the number of threads similar to this, it’s a widespread problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My understanding is just give your new provider you uan, no need to cancel with eir, that 30 days notice is lies especially if you are out of contract.

• Advertisement

Why don't the Eir reps confirm this "30 day" notice period for us all then?  I'm out of contract since August.

Hello, Eir reps?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Ignore that 30 day notice if you're out of contract :pac: 
    PM me if you want to know what I did to get rid of them although I'm quite tempted to post it just to annoy them

Ignore it? Love too but they’ve threatened a debt collection agency if I cancel my direct debit. I’ve paid them the most recent payment (5 days ago) and like I said, I’m out of contract since August which they’ve confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was paid all up to date and cancelled the dd as they were threatening to take another payment off me, at least that is how i read it, but they are so convoluted with their bills its hard to know. Took ages for the info to come for the router, which was how I realisedthey were messing with the 30 days business. I never came across such an exasperating company - well except possibly for Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

D13exile wrote: »
    Ignore it? Love too but they’ve threatened a debt collection agency if I cancel my direct debit. I’ve paid them the most recent payment (5 days ago) and like I said, I’m out of contract since August which they’ve confirmed.

In fairness, whilst their outsourced customer service is appalling and is being changed soon, they must inform you of penalties if you don't complete the contract conditions.

And whilst it would rarely if ever go to court or icb, the credit reference agency they use would also act for other companies

• Advertisement

@D13exile
    In post 3 you say you're out of contract
    #4 in this you say you're out in December
    #7 & #9 you say you're out since August

It's kind od late and maybe I'm reading something wrong but I'm a bit confused about when your contract ends

If your contract is still valid then there's not much you can do I suppose other than play by the terms of the contract, on the other hand if you're out of contract then you might have some room to maneuver. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

Dcully wrote: »
    My understanding is just give your new provider you uan, no need to cancel with eir, that 30 days notice is lies especially if you are out of contract.

This did not happen for me when I signed up to vfone. Vfone rep told me I had to cancel manually, despite supplying uan.

@D13exile
    In post 3 you say you're out of contract
    #4 in this you say you're out in December
    #7 & #9 you say you're out since August

It's kind od late and maybe I'm reading something wrong but I'm a bit confused about when your contract ends

If your contract is still valid then there's not much you can do I suppose other than play by the terms of the contract, on the other hand if you're out of contract then you might have some room to maneuver. 

Post 4 isn't mine mate.  My contract expired last August so I'm definitely out of contract, as finally confirmed by EIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

I spoke to 2 providers today

They both told me no need to contact eir

Just provide the Uan a few weeks before contract runs out

PM me if you want to know what I did to get rid of them although I'm quite tempted to post it just to annoy them
    Post it please, the more that know how to deal with these cowboys the better.

Dcully wrote: »
    They'd find a way to stop people using it if it was in the public domain. I've told two people who pm'd me, I hope it works for them. I hope they come back to me with their results either good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I’m sick of holding on your 1901 number to cancel my services with Eir (current record is 25 minutes without a response).  Your web chat people haven’t responded either despite waiting 20 minutes for someone. I’m out of contract and my latest bill will be taken out of my account in the next few days. I’m going to cancel the direct debit from my side as Eir make it damn near impossible to get away from them.  Goes without saying your customer “service” is beyond terrible.
    Hi OP.

I have very similar experience with them.
    Over last year, what I encountered is beyond ridiculous level of customer service - I could write a book about that.

But as I'll be moving out of the house soon, and I'm out of contract with them, I gave them 30 days notice on 1st of October to stop the service by end of October.
    I was told that within week or two I'll receive info how to return modem to them, and that service will stop on 31st October. All super.

On 19th October I received a bill for €55 covering service charge for period 19th October to 18th November.
    I called them to query, and after 1.5 hours waiting on the phone to talk to someone, I was told that's normal procedure and I have to pay the bill (even though is covers usage for period I won't be receiving service from them) and then after 31st October when my service is disabled they'll send a final bill with credit.
    I wasn't happy about that, but I was told nothing could be done.
    I requested to cancel direct debit, and instructed my bank to cancel it as well.

Now it's 6th November, I don't live in the house anymore, but service still works (I know as I have access to the house).
    God knows how long more it will work, and how long more they'll keep sending me bills.
    I never got any info about returning their modem.
    I'm moving abroad in few days, and honestly don't know what to do.
    I don't have another 1.5 hour to spare to try to call them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

CiniO wrote: »
    I’m sick of holding on your 1901 number to cancel my services with Eir (current record is 25 minutes without a response).  Your web chat people haven’t responded either despite waiting 20 minutes for someone. I’m out of contract and my latest bill will be taken out of my account in the next few days. I’m going to cancel the direct debit from my side as Eir make it damn near impossible to get away from them.  Goes without saying your customer “service” is beyond terrible.
    Hi OP.

I have very similar experience with them.
    Over last year, what I encountered is beyond ridiculous level of customer service - I could write a book about that.

But as I'll be moving out of the house soon, and I'm out of contract with them, I gave them 30 days notice on 1st of October to stop the service by end of October.
    I was told that within week or two I'll receive info how to return modem to them, and that service will stop on 31st October. All super.

On 19th October I received a bill for €55 covering service charge for period 19th October to 18th November.
    I called them to query, and after 1.5 hours waiting on the phone to talk to someone, I was told that's normal procedure and I have to pay the bill (even though is covers usage for period I won't be receiving service from them) and then after 31st October when my service is disabled they'll send a final bill with credit.
    I wasn't happy about that, but I was told nothing could be done.
    I requested to cancel direct debit, and instructed my bank to cancel it as well.

Now it's 6th November, I don't live in the house anymore, but service still works (I know as I have access to the house).
    God knows how long more it will work, and how long more they'll keep sending me bills.
    I never got any info about returning their modem.
    I'm moving abroad in few days, and honestly don't know what to do.
    I don't have another 1.5 hour to spare to try to call them.
    Move abroad and forget about Éir.  Wish I could.

Advertisement