Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg fried rice recipe requested

Options
  • 01-11-2018 11:52am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've tried a range of egg fried rice recipes to no avail, they end up lacking flavour.

I've searched online but I've either tried the recipe or they're over-complex and not what I'm looking for or just don't tick the box. Any tried and tested recommendations welcome?

I'm cooking a char sui pork later.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Gok's is very good

Edit: Is that video blocked? It should work on YouTube.

Recipe is here: http://www.carolhayesmanagement.co.uk/blog/view/cook-the-perfect-fried-rice-with-gok-wan

Gok Wan worked in his dad's Chinese restaurant (not take away) for years.

Using cooked rice that has cooled overnight is the key. Freshly cooked rice is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AdrianLM

What have you been adding for flavor, to be honest I only add rice wine, light soy sauce, eggs and rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Have a look on allrecipes.co.uk they have a great selection of all recipes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This works for about 500g of rice, cooked weight.

Use day old room temperature rice.

Mince 2 cloves of garlic.
    Mince about 2 tsp of ginger

Break 3 eggs in a bowl.
    Add in in garlic and ginger above. Add in 2 Tbps of light soy sauce.

Beat this mixture together well.

Put a wok on the heat until it's smoking hot, add some ground nut oil. Lash in you egg mixture and cook until it's basically an omelette. Horse in the rice and stir it like a maniac. You have to stir like a maniac, that's not exaggeration.

Takes about 2 minutes to heat all the rice through and get your egg distributed evenly.

You can add nothing and have it as a side dish or you can add whatever you want at this time. I usually add really finely sliced chicken(pre cooked), frozen peas, pre cooked sliced onion and really finely sliced carrots.

Or prawns and the same veg. Or prawns and chicken and the veg. It's really a great base to get creative with.

When serving, drizzle with sesame oil.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Donal Skehan's is quite straightforward

Ingredients:

1 tbsp sunflower oil
    3 spring onions, thinly sliced
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    150g leftover cooked rice, cold
    1 large free-range eggs, whisked

Heat a little sunflower oil in a large frying pan. Whisk the egg and pour into the pan, swirling to coat the base. Using a spatula and working quickly, drag the edges of the egg to the centre of the pan and allow any unset egg to run into its place.

Once fully set, roll up using the spatula in the pan and transfer to a chopping board.

Place the pan back over a high heat with a drop of oil and stir-fry the spring onions for 1 minute. Add the cooked rice to the pan. Stir through the sesame oil and soy sauce until it coats the rice completely. Slice the egg omelette thinly and toss through the fried rice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Donal Skehan's is quite straightforward

Ingredients:

1 tbsp sunflower oil
    3 spring onions, thinly sliced
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    150g leftover cooked rice, cold
    1 large free-range eggs, whisked

Heat a little sunflower oil in a large frying pan. Whisk the egg and pour into the pan, swirling to coat the base. Using a spatula and working quickly, drag the edges of the egg to the centre of the pan and allow any unset egg to run into its place.

Once fully set, roll up using the spatula in the pan and transfer to a chopping board.

Place the pan back over a high heat with a drop of oil and stir-fry the spring onions for 1 minute. Add the cooked rice to the pan. Stir through the sesame oil and soy sauce until it coats the rice completely. Slice the egg omelette thinly and toss through the fried rice.

It's straightforward, but hardly inspiring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Try looking for a Nasi Goreng recipe instead perhaps?

I used to get little packets of spices for them but have never seen them in shops here :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They look great thanks folks. I'll try Brian?'s tonight as I have all the ingredients but will give the others a whirl in the coming weeks.

Belt away with any other suggestions anyone else may have though.

AdrianLM wrote: »
    What have you been adding for flavor, to be honest I only add rice wine, light soy sauce, eggs and rice.

Variations of the above really.
    Have a look on allrecipes.co.uk they have a great selection of all recipes.

It's a tried and tested recipe I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Google 'nasi goreng jamie oliver'.

Super dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's straightforward, but hardly inspiring!

It's a recipe for egg fried rice.
    What do you expect?

• Advertisement

2mrglzk.png

Worked out very well. It's a salty moreish dish and the rice was a great accompaniment thanks. Will try the others and continue the good search!

It's worth noting that rice should be cooled rapidly and refrigerated if not being used immediately. Then reheated thoroughly for use. It's a food that should be treated with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I usually stir fry a load of veg and garlic then throw in the rice. When hot I make a well and cook the eggs, then throw in a couple tbsp soy sauce and some ground ginger. Not flash, but quick and tasty.

Advertisement