Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Ipad?

Options
  • 01-11-2018 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want to get an Ipad to mainly edit videos that I shoot, not professional, just home videos, some travels, etc.

I film in 1080p/60 frames mostly on my Iphone 7 and on a GoPro Hero 5 Black.

I’ve edited on the Iphone so far and love the apps that are available (Lumafusion and Videoleap mainly) but would like more real estate to play around with for more comfort.

Which Ipad should I go for if budget is the issue?

My main concern is the storage, I think I should go for a 128 GB model to make sure I have enough space for all files (some video files can be 4-5 GB).

Is the 2018 Ipad sufficient for this use case? Do I have to go up to a Pro model?

What are your experiences?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

If it is just 1080p and you were happy with the performance of the iPhone then I would say the standard iPad will be fine. It gives you what you need - extra screen real estate.

I would go for the 128gb model. It will give you the space required if needed and if you want to create videos it will have to be stored locally and not the cloud to create (as far as I know).

Add an Apple Pencil to it and you'd have a nice new workflow for editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is it worth waiting for the 2019 iPad? I’m kind of hoping for a design like the 2018 iPad Pro.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shn99 wrote: »
    Is it worth waiting for the 2019 iPad? I’m kind of hoping for a design like the 2018 iPad Pro.

Would that not be another 12 months away?
    New iPads just announced the other day?

kceire wrote: »
    Would that not be another 12 months away?
    New iPads just announced the other day?

The normal iPad was refreshed late March. Possibly looking at next March for another but could be longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Well, if they meant the non-Pro iPad then that might come sooner.

The 9.7" "regular" iPad was released last Spring, so I suppose there is a *possibility of a 2019 non-Pro iPad around March.
    Whether it would have the iPhone X/Xs/Xr/iPad Pro 2018 styling and FaceId is another matter.
    Even if such an iPad is on the way, there's no guarantee that it will have the newer styling.
    But all the rumours I've seen seem to be about a new iMac, Airpods 2nd gen, and iPad mini 5 being announced around that time.

Anyway, if you get into the mindset of waiting for something newer, you'll never buy anything - especially when even March/April is near half a year away.

*Personally I think at present that the addition of Pencil compatibilty in the 2018 non-Pro iPad, increases the likelihood that it will be next Fall before they refresh the 9.7 iPad, and that you won't see a new one next Spring.

• Advertisement

Have look at this buyers guide. It's very handy for all things Apple.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Yes I meant the non-pro iPad that was released in March, sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shn99 wrote: »
    Yes I meant the non-pro iPad that was released in March, sorry for the confusion.

If there is a redesign, which may be a year away then I'd say the prices will be redesigned as well.

I think the 2018 model is a bargain and should be bought.

Advertisement