Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood selection

Options
  • 01-11-2018 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I'm making up a 2-piece architrave comprising of an architrave and a moulded hockey stick.

The architrave is white deal and for the Hockey stick I have the choice of Redwood or Poplar (poplar is twice the price).

Any recommendations on which to go for? Is Poplar worth the premium over Redwood. Its going to be painted white.

Thanks
    UW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Hi,

I'm making up a 2-piece architrave comprising of an architrave and a moulded hockey stick.

The architrave is white deal and for the Hockey stick I have the choice of Redwood or Poplar (poplar is twice the price).

Any recommendations on which to go for? Is Poplar worth the premium over Redwood. Its going to be painted white.

Thanks
    UW.

Its worth paying for poplar as its grain free and takes a good paint finish. The only hockey stick moulding I see is made from ramin - a far Eastern hardwood which also takes a good paint finish. Its an expensive way to make trim and moulding - far better to do it yourself if you have the tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Underwurlde

Thanks for the response. While it's called a hockey stick, it's not the tranditional hockey stick shape. Its a more complex profile from 40×40 stock. Not worth the time and effort it would take to try and recreate.

Made by Cranwood in NI so a litte closer to home.

I was leaning towards poplar so just needed a nudge to come to a decision. I had also realised that a headboard I had previously painted was redwood. I just noticed that anywhere I had applied knotting, the white paint has taken on a pink hue. Decision made!

Advertisement