Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Drive help

Options
  • 01-11-2018 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a google drive account I used for a number of projects. In it was a master folder with several hundred subfolders. This was shared with a number of team members.

Basically what I want to do is 'break' the link the other team members had with this archive and stop them being able to view or add files to my version of this. However I want them to be able to keep their own version of this folder to do with as they wish.

I'm just not sure how to accomplish this.

Any advice?

Cheers,
    quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Can't see how that would be possible unless you create a new Drive account for yourself and copied all the data over. Then just leave the other account as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

mordeith wrote: »
    Can't see how that would be possible unless you create a new Drive account for yourself and copied all the data over. Then just leave the other account as is.
    Agree with this. Alternatively, tell everyone on the share list what to do (setup a Drive / Dropbox account first) - you can just ZIP up the current folder, share that link and disable public sharing on the main folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If you are G Suite subscriber, create Team Drive, copy content to it add members, stop share folder on your Drive
    If personal Drive user, do as above or other way around - new account(Drive), copy files, stop share folder on your Drive, share new Drive out to team. Could be bit convoluted as G doesn't copy folders, files only I think.

Google Drive Desktop-App will allow do folder copying within your PC.

Notify your team about "maintenance" to avoid data loss once stop sharing original folder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Resurrecting an old thread with a question.

I've just transitioned over to a new Mac and am trying to set up Google Drive File Stream.

I have around 30GB or stuff on Google Drive, but don't want to sync the whole thing, just one particular folder.

This was no problem on my old Mac, but I just cannot figure out how to select folders to sync on the latest version of File Stream.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

All My Drive folder structure will be available/visible online by default, you can't change that, but its not taking space on your local storage.
    However, you can choose to sync (Available offline) per folder - this will store folder content locally.

513451.PNG

Edit: for Mac, see http://www.creativetechsupport.com/help/google/mac/filestream.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Genius, thank you Smuggler. I hadn't realised that they'd changed the theory behind it.

Advertisement