Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Gameweek/Blank Gameweek Planning - FPL 2018/2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I don't think a definitive decision can be made until they announce the fixtures tbh.

Lets say Man Utd v Man City doesn't get put into GW32 (not unreasonable that TV might want it for closer to the end of the season) and goes to GW35 instead.

Now lets assume Man City beat Swansea in the Cup.

Guess who could end up with a DGW32 of ful/CAR for those of us with a TC? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm feeling in the minority for the old good strategy now.

Build to BGW31. I have 7 players for it now. And 6 FTs available. Ill be happy having 9 players. 2 late FTs to achieve that. The other 4 can be used on changing whatever I want once it's not a player with a game to a player without. This all before considering a hit if I feel it's worth it.

WC DGW32. This with a hat tip to a possible BB in GW34 and DGW35.

FH BGW33. Don't have to think about it before.

Then TC someone in DGW35.

Maybe there's a huge flaw I'm missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I've no wildcard or bench boost and have 4 players for 31 as it stands, I take it I'm best off working towards DGW 32 and FHing 31 before just hoping for the best in the other blank. Think the wheels are about to come off majorly ��
    I'm in the same boat and I think I'll Free Hit GW 31, and then look for players who have a DGW from the quarter final (or Chelsea/Brighton) but will also have a game when the FA Cup Semi final blanks are happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've no wildcard or bench boost and have 4 players for 31 as it stands, I take it I'm best off working towards DGW 32 and FHing 31 before just hoping for the best in the other blank. Think the wheels are about to come off majorly 🙈

Same here but my team allows me to FH 32 if needed. and mayne 7/8 players for 31 with transfers, within reason of course.

The spreadsheet above is a lifesaver, use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

dsmythy wrote: »

Build to BGW31. I have 7 players for it now. And 6 FTs available. Ill be happy having 9 players. 2 late FTs to achieve that. The other 4 can be used on changing whatever I want once it's not a player with a game to a player without. This all before considering a hit if I feel it's worth it.

By building for 31 you are building for 33 though so a FH might be wasted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

dsmythy wrote: »

I'm thinking along the same lines except I'm planing on using the FH in DGW 32. There's considerable crossover between teams with fixtures in 31 and 33 therefore I'm hoping the same team will do for both with the addition of one FT for 33. This has the benefit of using the WC closer to DGW35 where there'll be more up to date information on any injuries etc.

Maybe there's a huge flaw I'm missing though as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

As it stands, I only have 2 players for GW31. So I'm Freehitting that week. I'm very happy with my team and I have had 9 green arrows out of the last 10 with it, so no intention to change my winning team too drastically for it. Also, I'll be well setup with it for GW32. So FreeHit for 31 makes the most sense for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Interesting to see this weekend if Hamer keeps his place, probably not as Lossl was ill the last GW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Shineon I am guessing you don’t have your Wildcard left?
    Your strategy makes sense if so, I personally plan to Wildcard straight after FH in 32.
    I don’t see too much value in a FH in a skinny game week compared to a double. I can get by until 31 by swapping in fringe players and subs with a game in 31 and I’m happy enough to just field 7or 8.
    I have FH, BB, WC and TC all still to play.

I still have WC, FH, and BB.

My plan was to Wildcard in 34 and Bench boost in 35.

But after realising how many DGWers I can get in GW32 with very little effort I might yet BB in GW32.

I could then WC into GW34 or 35 to load up on 11 DGWers again for 35.

I understand your reasoning for seeing a lack of value of FH-ing in GW31, its the same reasoning that I dont see the value in building up these GW31 players week by week up until 31 and being stuck with them after a FH32.

By FH in GW31 I'm stuck with these players for one week only, whereas GW31 freehitters have to hold these players ( That I do not want to own) longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Right!
    Had a bit of time on my hands this morning, and was starting to get a headache working through my potential teams for the various blanks/doubles.

I decided to update Cartman's spreadsheet for the current year. All credit goes to him I don't want to steal anyone's thunder, I just find it easier to visualise each week especially when planning a wildcard.

Format remains the same as last year's, the player names don't have to be exact as long as the team codes are as that's how the vlookup works.

Any bugs/issues just let me know, I'll probably do a second update once the fixtures are finalised, this is just a first draft.
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    My legal team will be in contact with you shortly ;-)

2u3e46.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

shineon23 wrote: »
    I still have WC, FH, and BB.

My plan was to Wildcard in 34 and Bench boost in 35.

But after realising how many DGWers I can get in GW32 with very little effort I might yet BB in GW32.

I could then WC into GW34 or 35 to load up on 11 DGWers again for 35.

I understand your reasoning for seeing a lack of value of FH-ing in GW31, its the same reasoning that I dont see the value in building up these GW31 players week by week up until 31 and being stuck with them after a FH32.

By GW31 I'm stuck with these players for one week only, whereas GW31 freehitters have to hold these players ( That I do not want to own) longer.

The more I think about it, I like your reasoning too.

I had committed not to think about double and blank GWs (barring the upcoming blank) until now but I actually just realised I only currently have 4 GW31 players (one of who is Zabaleta).

I think I need to see the confirmed GW32 fixtures on paper before committing to a strategy. It could well be that I have a team full of premium DGW 32 players without even realising (in fact I suspect I do) thus having no need to FH for that GW.

My only reluctance to BB in 31 is the complete lack of value to be had. I can only see an interest in having 3 Liverpool for that week, maybe a Bournemouth or Leicester cheapie too. Everton and Chelsea assets don't appeal.
    It feels like a shame to waste a chip on a bunch of 2 pointers but in reality I might not gain much more by playing the chip in 32 over my current team.

I think I'll roll my transfer this week and reassess when I get a good look at the fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

That spreadsheet is a godsend
    So easy to pick out teams with decent fixture this week and dgw 32
    Having looked at it I will be FH31 and BB 32
    I'm happy not to have to hold on to a load of ****e for 31 !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Is there any good options for the poor losers like myself who've already wildcarded? :( Can't seem to see any strategies online.

Is there any good options for the poor losers like myself who've already wildcarded? :( Can't seem to see any strategies online.

I've also played WC already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

km79 wrote: »
    I've also played WC already
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That spreadsheet is a godsend
    So easy to pick out teams with decent fixture this week and dgw 32
    Having looked at it I will be FH31 and BB 32
    I'm happy not to have to hold on to a load of ****e for 31 !!!!

What about the GW33 blanks?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    What about the GW33 blanks?

Pray

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I've gone from a firm believer in FH31 to planning both strategies out on the spreadsheet and I think talking myself into very likely a FH32.

I've had a look and can get to 8 players in 31 with 0 hits and with solid moves that give me players from good teams and good fixtures in the lead up to 31.

I would then have 9 players in 33 on the assumption Palace go through (11 if they're knocked out). Depending on Palace's progress I would take a -4 in 31 to get a BOU defender who have favourable fixtures in 31 and 33 so a -4 would bring me to 9 in 31 and 10 in 33.

Main reasons for talking myself round to FH32:

1) The sabotage of 27-30 to build towards 31 isn't as bad as a I thought. 31ers have some really tasty fixtures in the buildup.

2) The 8 (or 9 with one hit) I can get to in 31 is very very close to the FH team I was looking to put together. My miss-outs would be on 2 strikers (Higuain? Barnes? Vardy? King?) and one defender from BOU if I don't take the -4. Also would be Firmino instead of Mane which I see as much of a muchness. I don't think the FH31 team would heavily outscore this team

3) This plan sets me up way better for 33. I looked at FH31 and it would have involved a difficult 33. FH in 31 may just be delaying the problem

4) Better use of funds. Can jettison the expensive Aggy in 31, bring him back in on the FH for the double 32, 33 City blank again and then he likely comes back in in WC 34.

5) Huge opportunities in FH particularly with the likes of City who you can't have coverage on if you FH in 31 and want to also cover 33. Salah has a single in a tough game and those funds could be used on heavy hitters like Sterling and Kane who could tear up the double

I know that many have been banging this drum previously and will say the above is obvious, but I wanted to share my thoughts as a convert after looking through the GWs and planning out transfers. There is the argument that you can't plan all transfers out in advance but I think at this stage of the season we have a good idea of what players are capable of.

As really rough predictions:

- My prediction is that FH31 I'd choose versus the team I put together in 31 is about 10-15 points.
    - I feel a good 10 points might be offset by a more complete team in 33
    - I don't see much of a difference between my planned "building up" transfers in 27-30 and what I would do if I had more of a "free hand" / was building towards DGW32. Now an Auba hattrick against Soton totally tears that up but overall I'm totally fine with the transfer constraints and I think will give me equal enough returns
    - The ability to cherry pick 11 form DGW players and the likes of Sterling, Kane, Laporte, Auba I think should return a far bigger haul than the DGW team I would have ended up with. Maybe 30 points or so more.

The only question about this is - when do I play my TC? The FH31 plan felt neater for using TC on a DGW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Morzadec wrote:
    I've gone from a firm believer in FH31 to planning both strategies out on the spreadsheet and I think talking myself into very likely a FH32.

Hi Morzadec

A very well thought out plan. and articulated excellently too. I really like this approach. Can you post your team and your planned transfers. Actually, would it be easier if I just sent you my team username and password and you can make the changes for me.

Best regards

2nd Row Donkey

I saw Ben Crellin retweeted some guys strategy, and it's one I'd not thought of:

Build to DGW32
    GW31 - Free Hit
    DGW32 - BB
    GW33 - Wildcard
    GW34
    GW35 - TC

Seems counter intuitive at first to wildcard in a blank, but if you go for say 10 SGW 31 players, plus 5 DGW 35 players, you can get up to 7 DGW players with just your 2FT in 34, 35.

I had narrowed things down to 3 possible strategies, but this has thrown a 4th in the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I saw Ben Crellin retweeted some guys strategy, and it's one I'd not thought of:

Build to DGW32
    GW31 - Free Hit
    DGW32 - BB
    GW33 - Wildcard
    GW34
    GW35 - TC

Seems counter intuitive at first to wildcard in a blank, but if you go for say 10 SGW 31 players, plus 5 DGW 35 players, you can get up to 7 DGW players with just your 2FT in 34, 35.

I had narrowed things down to 3 possible strategies, but this has thrown a 4th in the mix.

This is what I'd settled on yesterday morning, but so many good posts in here arguing the case of others has me second guessing myself.

What a magical time of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Morzadec wrote: »

I've had a look and can get to 8 players in 31 with 0 hits and with solid moves that give me players from good teams and good fixtures in the lead up to 31.

I would then have 9 players in 33 on the assumption Palace go through (11 if they're knocked out). Depending on Palace's progress I would take a -4 in 31 to get a BOU defender who have favourable fixtures in 31 and 33 so a -4 would bring me to 9 in 31 and 10 in 33.

Main reasons for talking myself round to FH32:

1) The sabotage of 27-30 to build towards 31 isn't as bad as a I thought. 31ers have some really tasty fixtures in the buildup.

2) The 8 (or 9 with one hit) I can get to in 31 is very very close to the FH team I was looking to put together. My miss-outs would be on 2 strikers (Higuain? Barnes? Vardy? King?) and one defender from BOU if I don't take the -4. Also would be Firmino instead of Mane which I see as much of a muchness. I don't think the FH31 team would heavily outscore this team

3) This plan sets me up way better for 33. I looked at FH31 and it would have involved a difficult 33. FH in 31 may just be delaying the problem

4) Better use of funds. Can jettison the expensive Aggy in 31, bring him back in on the FH for the double 32, 33 City blank again and then he likely comes back in in WC 34.

5) Huge opportunities in FH particularly with the likes of City who you can't have coverage on if you FH in 31 and want to also cover 33. Salah has a single in a tough game and those funds could be used on heavy hitters like Sterling and Kane who could tear up the double

I know that many have been banging this drum previously and will say the above is obvious, but I wanted to share my thoughts as a convert after looking through the GWs and planning out transfers. There is the argument that you can't plan all transfers out in advance but I think at this stage of the season we have a good idea of what players are capable of.

As really rough predictions:

- My prediction is that FH31 I'd choose versus the team I put together in 31 is about 10-15 points.
    - I feel a good 10 points might be offset by a more complete team in 33
    - I don't see much of a difference between my planned "building up" transfers in 27-30 and what I would do if I had more of a "free hand" / was building towards DGW32. Now an Auba hattrick against Soton totally tears that up but overall I'm totally fine with the transfer constraints and I think will give me equal enough returns
    - The ability to cherry pick 11 form DGW players and the likes of Sterling, Kane, Laporte, Auba I think should return a far bigger haul than the DGW team I would have ended up with. Maybe 30 points or so more.

The only question about this is - when do I play my TC? The FH31 plan felt neater for using TC on a DGW.

Excellent post, I would have thanked it but you said Aggy so instead I reported it

elefant wrote: »
    This is what I'd settled on yesterday morning, but so many good posts in here arguing the case of others has me second guessing myself.

What a magical time of the year!

There is for and against each strategy. I think I need to plot through each and see which gives me the best players in the best fixtures more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Cheers Morzadec, I had changed my mind and was contemplating FH in 31, but I had forgot about 33. FH in 31 will leave me short of options in 33

I'm not going to wildcard in 33 as I want to build a solid team in WC 34 to bench boost in 35.

Back to looking at getting in Leicester and Bournemouth players as my ringe and bench players. I'll leave the spine of my team alone for now as it's going well.

I'd love to see the DGW 32 fixtures confirmed though. Would make life much easier :)

I am now looking at FH in 32 again as well :D
    I will be screwed for 33 otherwise.
    Might be screwed anyway with 3 wolves and 2 united

It is SO TRICKY now
    I have 11 players for this week including bednarek and have 2FT
    I had planned on using MY 2 ft to ship out digne and ricky for Perreira and Anderson. But that is using 2 FT to swap 31 players for 31. That still leaves me with just 4........and double pool defence instead of double attack......Had also been considering moving Alison on but again he has a game in 31.
    I am falling in danger of falling into the age old trap of overplanning and holding on to players who should be sold.
    It is easier for me to build towards a BB in 32 but I would be very short for 33...........
    BUT if i FH in 31 will I be short for dgw 35........
    aaaggghhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Build to DGW32
    GW31 - Free Hit
    DGW32 - BB
    GW33 - Wildcard
    GW34
    GW35 - TC

I WC in the blank last season and it worked out for me, so it’s not an unreasonable strategy. I haven’t really got that far with planning yet, but might take a look at that option later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Wow... this is head wrecking stuff

Might just play the 'bury head in sand' chip

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Hi I'm Mr P and I haven't been following you nerds too closely, only thanking the witty posts as I scroll through.

So tell me please what's the best strategy to go all out in a blaze of glorious glory?

Please note that I've decided that Andros "The Spacecraft Experience" Townsend, PVA and new cult hero Harvey Barnes will be in my team post haste.

I have all my chips, no Liverpool players and a wreckless renegade devil May care attitude as I sit somewhere in obscurity in the wastelands between 100k and 1m :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I’ve done the same myself the last few days but have now come to the conclusion that people are greatly overthinking this.

If you have currently have 4 or 5 players who will be available in GW31, build towards negotiating that without using your FH. Even fielding 8 or 9 (especially presuming you’ll have 3 Liverpool) will be sufficient IMO.

You could then sell Salah on FH who has Spurs, to load up on the likes of City assets, Aubameyang etc who will likely all have doubles, while most of the players from GW31 that you will have brought in all have good fixtures when you revert to your normal team in GW33 - Liverpool have Southampton, Bournemouth have Burnley, Leicester have Huddersfield.

One thing I have learned, in my opinion, is that it’s imperative to keep your 2nd WC and FH to negotiate blanks towards the end of the season. I’d be far more likely to burn my TC early next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I am now looking at FH in 32 again as well :D
    I will be screwed for 33 otherwise.
    Might be screwed anyway with 3 wolves and 2 united

It is SO TRICKY now
    I have 11 players for this week including bednarek and have 2FT
    I had planned on using MY 2 ft to ship out digne and ricky for Perreira and Anderson. But that is using 2 FT to swap 31 players for 31. That still leaves me with just 4........and double pool defence instead of double attack......Had also been considering moving Alison on but again he has a game in 31.
    I am falling in danger of falling into the age old trap of overplanning and holding on to players who should be sold.
    It is easier for me to build towards a BB in 32 but I would be very short for 33...........
    BUT if i FH in 31 will I be short for dgw 35........
    aaaggghhhhhhhh

Definitely something to keep in mind.

My take is that Digne is a player who can return in any match, has multiple ways of scoring you points and is not tying up funds (presuming you bought him around 5.0?) and so can be left on the bench in the buildup, so is a player that is not really bad to have at any time of the season so I'd consider keeping.

Ricky has been out of form for a while and is mirroring last season's barren 2nd half of the season and is too expensive to bench so I'd probably sell.

If you have 4 31ers after this week that's still not all that bad. I'll have 5 but in reality 4 as I don't expect Schindler to return anything in 31 and he'll be replaced in the buildup to that week.

You can still use 28, 29, 30 and 31 (plus your other FT from this week) to bring in West Ham, Leicester, Liverpool players who all have great fixtures in the build up and inclusive of 31. Maybe a Bournemouth player on that last week. That's 5 transfers.

That would give you 9 players for 31 and should set you up well for 33 too.

Advertisement