Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Timber Mill apartments (Dublin, Artane)

Options
  • 01-11-2018 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello!

Hope you guys doing well.

I'm looking to buy a 2 bed apartment with a relatively low budget (250k max). So far The Timber Mill looks like the best option - quick access to city centre (25 min cycling), close to Dart, close to Raheny & Clontarf, a lot of stores around. Timber mill block looks very good, management fee is low (1200 for a ground floor apt), BER "C".

Now, I see that the prices are similar to what is offered in Premier Square (Finglas), Sanrty apartments and Ballymun. But Artane seems a much more interesting option (closer to everything literally, and a very quiet and nice area, rather new build - 2005).

I'm wondering where's the catch? I saw there's no gas heating, so electricity will be more expensive. After going through all the topics related to Artane / Timber Mill here on Boards I haven't found any other issues. I saw a few articles about structural damage, I got in touch with the management company and they've told that this was fixed.

Would be great to hear any thoughts as I'm thinking to buy a place there, maybe some other first time buyers are considering Timber Mill as well =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

Good mature area. I would rate it far better that Ballymun, Finglas or even Santry which would be my second choice here. I do see Timber Mills apartments come up for sale a lot and I always suspected that originally a lot of Buy to let investors bought here so potentially a lot of SW tenants here. A notorious criminal who was killed in a gangland hit in Coolock was living there but I suppose even criminals have to live somewhere. Maybe the structural defects , which seem to have been remedied, caused people to sell up.
    See if the Management Company can give you an idea of the number of rentals there. Maybe see if you can get talking to some of the residents there and visit the place at different times to get a feel for the place. Do you know if its an investor selling or a resident. I'm always curious as to why people are moving on i.e. getting out of renting , relationship breakup, moving up the property ladder, ant--social behaviour that's makes living there a pain. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thencamethen

thanks a lot for the reply! will check the points you've described as I'm going for the viewing soon =) I spoke with a few guys from the area and haven't heard anything bad so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The location is very good for everything. Killester DART is probably the closest station rather than the ones mentioned. Comparing the areas you mentioned I would but the timber Mills way above them as it is a much smaller estate in a well established mature area.

My understanding of the sales are more down to the the original build and not selling the properties. It sounds like they are selling when a tenant moves out rather than they were bought for buy to lets.

You can't get much better for school, shops transport, hospital and general services. Goblet bar very close, while not great it is a local bar with no trouble.

The other areas are a bit rougher although Santry can be nicer the apartments there have a lot of residents from Ballymun originally and have had some issues. The hotel and restraints there are crazy at the weekends with families having dinner out.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The location is very good for everything. Killester DART is probably the closest station rather than the ones mentioned. Comparing the areas you mentioned I would but the timber Mills way above them as it is a much smaller estate in a well established mature area.

My understanding of the sales are more down to the the original build and not selling the properties. It sounds like they are selling when a tenant moves out rather than they were bought for buy to lets.

You can't get much better for school, shops transport, hospital and general services. Goblet bar very close, while not great it is a local bar with no trouble.

The other areas are a bit rougher although Santry can be nicer the apartments there have a lot of residents from Ballymun originally and have had some issues. The hotel and restraints there are crazy at the weekends with families having dinner out.

Hey Ray!

thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by "My understanding of the sales are more down to the the original build and not selling the properties. It sounds like they are selling when a tenant moves out rather than they were bought for buy to lets". ?

They sell because the tenant moved out, but why not get another tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Hey Ray!

thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by "My understanding of the sales are more down to the the original build and not selling the properties. It sounds like they are selling when a tenant moves out rather than they were bought for buy to lets". ?

They sell because the tenant moved out, but why not get another tenant?

They originally built to sell and didn't sell so the company was a reluctant landlord. There was something funny with the penthouse and the maintenance guy too. He was meant to have the place until the last place was sold but as they rented them out they had to let him stay.

Could be rumours but they certainly didn't sell all of them when they wanted to so rented them out. Other residents or owners could be selling too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 me_only

Owner occupied living in block B:

- Kids are out of control here, from 1pm to 8pm they are screaming non stop as if you were in a Theme Park (groups of 8-10 kids ages from 5 to 8 yrs old unsupervised), destroying trees/ shrubs, littering everywhere, wrecking the place and disturbing the peace

Do not rent or buy an apt between Apts. 150 and 120, there is where the brats are hanging out all the time and you won't be able to Work from Home, rest or relax

You are warned- think twice before renting/ buying in that specific part of the complex

The management company (CORE/ Benchmark) is well aware of that, in the past (over a year ago) they sent emails reminding all residents that the comunal grounds are not a playground, but they don't seem to bother anymore

Out of 195 apts, 24 flats are under the social housing scheme managed by Tuath

that was my old post, and I bought in Timber Mill. Never heard any "brats" although I'm on the ground floor, block C. Seems they are near the creche? My living room is adjacent to the the backyard so it's quiet all the time. Next to backyard there's neighbor's garden, and then a small road Maryfield Cres.
    I keep checking daft and ppr, and for the actual budget of 250K (2 bed apartment >60sq.m. close to city center in a mature safe area) this is one of the best offers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Buzzerd

Looking to buy 2 bed apt in block B. Solicitor recommends not proceeding with purchase as no management company accounts for last 3 years so no idea what we're buying into. Anyone who bought there recently have any advice? Any update on the anti social behaviour mentioned in previous posts? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭DubCount

"Solicitor recommends not proceeding"...... that would be game over for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is what you are literally paying a solicitor for. Why would you want to buy after hearing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 evilcurl

Did you end up going ahead with this sale? We are looking at an apartment, and had not heard about the management company accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 buyer2023

Hello. I was just checking if there is an update about Timber Mills? I am possibly going to view an apartment there and it falls into the block B numbers listed here.....

Advertisement