Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beeching Hedging

Options
  • 01-11-2018 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I'm looking to plant 300m of beech hedging as a border to a property and I've got quotes for doing it with 3-4ft or with 4-5ft.

The 4-5ft is coming in about 65% more than 3-4ft. My questions are...

- Is that price justifiable?
    - Is the risk that 3-4ft will fail that much high than 4-5ft?
    - Or is the only issue that it will take longer for 3-4ft to grow and fill out?

Any advice or your experience would be good to hear

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

underpants wrote: »
    I'm looking to plant 300m of beech hedging as a border to a property and I've got quotes for doing it with 3-4ft or with 4-5ft.

- Is that price justifiable?
    - Is the risk that 3-4ft will fail that much high than 4-5ft?
    - Or is the only issue that it will take longer for 3-4ft to grow and fill out?

Thanks

3-4 ft is LESS likely to fail and will probably fill out better. Unless you have something that you need to hide immediately it's a no brainier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

blackbox wrote: »
    3-4 ft is LESS likely to fail and will probably fill out better. Unless you have something that you need to hide immediately it's a no brainier.

completely agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are they the same spacing and density? How many plants for your space? Unusual for there to be that price difference.

Bare root or pots?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

underpants wrote: »

- Is that price justifiable?Only you can be the judge of that, but if you can afford it then IMO yes it is, because the larger plants are roughly 2 years older and essentially you have an instant hedge.

- Is the risk that 3-4ft will fail that much high than 4-5ft? No there is no discernible difference in the risk, bare root hedging has roughly a 10% failure rate, but IME in the vast majority of cases the success rate is 100%, providing the work is carried out to best industry practice.

- Or is the only issue that it will take longer for 3-4ft to grow and fill out? Yes essentially that is the only difference, the difference in height equates to about 2 years.

Thanks
    Hope that helps.

Advertisement