Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC for Kid - Build it myself

Options
  • 01-11-2018 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

First off, never built a PC before but reasonably handy / techy.

I thought instead of buying a "gaming PC" that might be better to put it together myself, can chose what I want and also means I can be confident in swapping out pieces in the future for upgrades. Only need the PC itself with power. Have monitor,keyboard,moues, headset etc already.

Want to build decent spec as requirements on it will no doubt increase quickly but coming in over budget when including a copy of Windows, looking for advise on what to change without significant reduction in performance etc.

1. What is your budget?
    €800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming PC

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    No

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.
    n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1080, not upgrading anytime soon .

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No unless I really need to.

8. How can you pay?
    Debit card/Visa/Cash

9. When are you purchasing?
    ASAP - would like to build in next few weeks and ensure it all works as I hope.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Dublin but should be okay.

Here is what I've put down on a list based on customerparts site in ireland so can shop around which might help on some costs:

ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING AMD B450 Socket AM4 ATX - €120
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 16MB L3 Box processor - €210
    Kingston Technology ValueRAM 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Module 8GB DDR4 2400MHz memory module - €80
    PowerColor Red Dragon AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 graphics card - €280
    Sandisk SDSSDA-120G-G27 120GB 2.5" Serial ATA III internal solid state drive - €37
    Seagate Barracuda 2.5" 1000GB Serial ATA III internal hard drive - €54
    CIT Venom Mesh Gaming Case Black Interior 12cm Blue LED Fan - €36
    Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 400W ATX Black power supply unit - €40

Copy of Windows: €100 ?

Total : €957

Doesnt include shipping - I might be able to collect depending on where I buy but if can buy all from same place, all the better.

Open to all advice.
    Have I missed any key components?
    Would I get these cheaper elsewhere with shipping costs factored in?
    Are there equipment components that would perform as well but less expensive.

Thanks for your time !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£154.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£61.92 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Mushkin - Source 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£34.32 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Devil Video Card (£221.34 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Cougar - MX310 ATX Mid Tower Case (£29.02 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Cougar - GX-S 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£63.15 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £703.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-01 16:40 GMT+0000

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭frustrated1

Thanks Kiki for taking the time, looking on the right track.
    I would still need to pay for windows home version, so could be anywhere around 100 euro on top.

Any thoughts on components list, look like a decent set up ?
    If on the right track, might be able to squeeze the budget a little.
    Any thoughts or suggestions welcome

Microsoft allow you to create an installer & run Windows 10 without activation, been doing it myself for years.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Nice - Will look in to that.

Any other thoughts on the list.
    Anything obvious missing or over kill ?

Placed the orders now, excited and nervous at the same time.
    Attached list of the final costs, ordered most parts from UK and paid in sterling. Included shipping costs and parcel motel related costs and came in just under budget, total of €773.

I dropped the 1TB hard drive as pretty sure I have a drive I can use re-use for additional storage.

Thanks for advice, I may be back when it all arrives and its time to put it together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

If the activate windows watermark annoys you there's plenty of grey market keys for around a fiver on eBay.

Placed the orders now, excited and nervous at the same time.
    Attached list of the final costs, ordered most parts from UK and paid in sterling. Included shipping costs and parcel motel related costs and came in just under budget, total of €773.

I dropped the 1TB hard drive as pretty sure I have a drive I can use re-use for additional storage.

Thanks for advice, I may be back when it all arrives and its time to put it together!
    Cancel that Power supply if you still can.

The MasterWatt Lite 400W does not have enough PCIe power connectors for your graphics card.
    And it's a ****ty PSU to begin with.

*edit*
    And 400W is too low for your build. You want a Bronze-certified 450W at the very least.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Cancel that Power supply if you still can.

The MasterWatt Lite 400W does not have enough PCIe power connectors for your graphics card.
    And it's a ****ty PSU to begin with.

*edit*
    And 400W is too low for your build. You want a Bronze-certified 450W at the very least.

Thanks, just rang them and I can change it.
    They dont have the one you mentioned and although I could order it elsewhere would be easier to check the other available ones from this site instead.
    Would you mind having a look and see what PSU you would suggest?

Here is one they suggested on the phone, a few euro more but no big deal:
    https://www.custompcparts.ie/cases/pc-case-power-supplies/aerocool-integrator-600w-80-certified-psu-12cm-black-fan-active-pfc-tw-caps-uk-cable.ireland.direct.gaming.components#.W9yAJZP7RaQ

The PSU is the heart of the PC, a cheap one can take out a whole machine or even your whole house.

Spend the extra; I would advise the EVGA 500BR (€57.74, 3yr manufacturer warranty) at the minimum.
    However if you're dead-set on getting the cheapest, Kolink KL-500 (€47.96, 2yr warranty) could do.

The PSU is the heart of the PC, a cheap one can take out a whole machine or even your whole house.

Spend the extra; I would advise the EVGA 500BR (€57.74, 3yr manufacturer warranty) at the minimum.
    However if you're dead-set on getting the cheapest, Kolink KL-500 (€47.96, 2yr warranty) could do.

Thanks, I am not going to cut corners to save 20 odd euro.
    I'll go with your recommendation and order the EVGA 500BR

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are those custompcparts not meant to be terrible to deal with?

I'm nearly sure I remember someone here being sent wrong parts or something and they didn't want to know anything about it?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Are those custompcparts not meant to be terrible to deal with?

I'm nearly sure I remember someone here being sent wrong parts or something and they didn't want to know anything about it?

To be honest, I did look up some reviews, found one or two that are questionable but reckon you’ll always find bad reviews if you try. I limited what I ordered from them and used paypal so if it all goes wrong, I’ll have a way to get my money back at least. I have a few weeks to play with, so if need to order from somewhere else in the end, will have time. WIll let you know how it all goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Yeah if I remember rightly they are a bunch of **** wit clowns.

Hopefully all goes smooth for you, tho if there is even a hint of trouble hit that ejection seat.

KO Kiki
    I rang them on Friday to change the PSU, was told to email me them the detail of what I wanted swapped which I did. Now I am hoping I'm not at the start of a saga and regret ordering from them, seems the guy I was dealing with is out, spoke to someone else who said they'd look in to it and come back to me.
    Then this morning, got a nightline dispatch text and I fear they've gone ahead and posted the original order.

Anyway - I need your help again. The original one you recommended, the EVGA 500BR is out of stock on their site.

Is there any other you would suggest thats available on their site before I chase them up ?
    https://www.custompcparts.ie/cases/pc-case-power-supplies

Would rather pay 70-75 euro getting the right PSU now, rather than regretting it later.
    Alternatively I could just keep the Cooler Master when they send it, sell it and order the EVGA 500BR from amazon instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-100-BR-0500-K3-500-Power-Supply/dp/B07FM2MMYV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541670144&sr=8-1&keywords=EVGA+500BR+500W

I can't get into their website, gives me a "502 Bad Gateway" error.

*edit*:
    Used Google Cache to check.
    Have they the EVGA 600BR or 700BR in stock?

*edit*:

Thanks, looks like the 500 might be in stock again. If not, I'll check if the others are in stock.

Got through to them on the phone, apparently their hosting service for custompcparts.ie is down currently due to some DOS attack.
    Said he will ring me back in the afternoon and if they've sent the original order in error (that was supposed to be on hold) that they will correct the situation.

Giving benefit of doubt so far, can be difficult to get through on phone sometimes but other than that, they seem to be genuinely trying to sort my order, and in fairness I ordered the incorrect PSU originally.
    See how I get on later today.

*edit*:

Website looks to be back now, 500BR and 600BR look to be out.
    The 700BR is in stock:
    https://www.custompcparts.ie/evga-700-br-700w-atx-black-power-supply-unit.ireland.direct.gaming.components#.W-R7thrp2hA

Other than its a bit more expensive, any downsides to having a higher watt PSU?
    Presume it will just allow me capacity to add additional components in the future if needed or if I upgrade anything that then requires more power.

Website looks to be back now, 500BR and 600BR look to be out.
    The 700BR is in stock:
    https://www.custompcparts.ie/evga-700-br-700w-atx-black-power-supply-unit.ireland.direct.gaming.components#.W-R7thrp2hA

Other than its a bit more expensive, any downsides to having a higher watt PSU?
    Presume it will just allow me capacity to add additional components in the future if needed or if I upgrade anything that then requires more power.

It will use a tiny bit more power when not under full load, but that's about it.
    Might even be quieter depending on the fan curve.

It will use a tiny bit more power when not under full load, but that's about it.
    Might even be quieter depending on the fan curve.

Thanks again.
    Have been on to them, placed order for the EVGA 700 now:
    https://www.custompcparts.ie/evga-700-br-700w-atx-black-power-supply-unit.ireland.direct.gaming.components#.W-WK75P7RPY

Say they will contact me to collect the difference in price and arrange collection of the first power supply I had on order.

Another question if you dont mind, how did you calculate the total power required from the parts list I ordered? I see some parts included in their description the Wattage required, others do not.
    Just curious if I'm ever doing this again.

• Advertisement

Thanks again.
    Have been on to them, placed order for the EVGA 700 now:
    https://www.custompcparts.ie/evga-700-br-700w-atx-black-power-supply-unit.ireland.direct.gaming.components#.W-WK75P7RPY

Say they will contact me to collect the difference in price and arrange collection of the first power supply I had on order.

Another question if you dont mind, how did you calculate the total power required from the parts list I ordered? I see some parts included in their description the Wattage required, others do not.
    Just curious if I'm ever doing this again.
    Most of the manufacturers offer a "power supply calculator" (you can just Google it) although they mostly overestimate load draw.

The most important thing is that the Powercolor RX580 Red Devil needs 1x8-pin + 1x6-pin PCIe power, while the CoolerMaster 400W you initially bought only has 1x 8-pin connector.
    It's also not rated for proper 80+ Efficiency so that makes it junk IMHO.

Most of the manufacturers offer a "power supply calculator" (you can just Google it) although they mostly overestimate load draw.

The most important thing is that the Powercolor RX580 Red Devil needs 1x8-pin + 1x6-pin PCIe power, while the CoolerMaster 400W you initially bought only has 1x 8-pin connector.
    It's also not rated for proper 80+ Efficiency so that makes it junk IMHO.

Great, lots to learn but very interesting.

KO Kiki
    I rang them on Friday to change the PSU, was told to email me them the detail of what I wanted swapped which I did. Now I am hoping I'm not at the start of a saga and regret ordering from them, seems the guy I was dealing with is out, spoke to someone else who said they'd look in to it and come back to me.
    Then this morning, got a nightline dispatch text and I fear they've gone ahead and posted the original order.

Anyway - I need your help again. The original one you recommended, the EVGA 500BR is out of stock on their site.

Is there any other you would suggest thats available on their site before I chase them up ?
    https://www.custompcparts.ie/cases/pc-case-power-supplies

Would rather pay 70-75 euro getting the right PSU now, rather than regretting it later.
    Alternatively I could just keep the Cooler Master when they send it, sell it and order the EVGA 500BR from amazon instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-100-BR-0500-K3-500-Power-Supply/dp/B07FM2MMYV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541670144&sr=8-1&keywords=EVGA+500BR+500W

So update to the Saga.
    I am finding it very difficult to get through to the guys in custompcparts and its no longer worth my time.
    If my original order with custompcparts had been correct, I dont think I would have had any issues, but fact is I tried to correct it before it shipped, was advised it would be okay, then having problems resolving this since and getting through to someone.
    So I will just sell the PSU I got from them that I do not need.

I have ordered the correct PSU from Amazon now instead:
    Cougar GX-S 550W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - GX-S550

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J40M2LG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have received everything else now at this stage, so once I have the PSU I will start the build and let you know how I get on or if I need your help.

Final Costs of build attached, Total came in at just under €814 which included shipping costs from provider and use of Parcel motel.
    Lot of items ship free to UK (and also some dont deliver direct to Ireland), so was cheaper and more convenient to use Parcel Motel, I use Parcel Motel quite a bit and really like their service.

If I was going with a build / order again, I would stick with CCL computers and Amazon.
    No problems with delivery and I had to modify the Amazon order and did so without issue.

Okay - PC Built today .. looks like its gone okay. (Will add a photo later)
    Installed windows, installed a few programs (Steam, Epic Games etc)

I ran benchmark test - results are on link : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12621673

Thoughts?

I'd also like to add an LED strip on inside of case to light it up a bit more assuming I can get one for a few quid.
    Any suggestions welcome - anything to help make it pop a bit..
    Picked up a new monitor and he will be using headphones mostly so don't think need to worry about speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Keep an eye on temperatures to make sure everything is going well with the cooler: https://www.hwinfo.com/
    Other than that, looks like everything is good :) You might want to add another 8gb stick of RAM in the future, see the other thread about dual channel and why it might affect performance. For now though, that's a great PC :D

Okay - PC Built today .. looks like its gone okay. (Will add a photo later)
    Installed windows, installed a few programs (Steam, Epic Games etc)

I ran benchmark test - results are on link : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12621673

Thoughts?

I'd also like to add an LED strip on inside of case to light it up a bit more assuming I can get one for a few quid.
    Any suggestions welcome - anything to help make it pop a bit..
    Picked up a new monitor and he will be using headphones mostly so don't think need to worry about speakers.

Picture added now. Thanks for all advice getting me here.
    Will have a look out for some led strip of some sort
    Need to add a hdd but have old spare one so will do that later in the week

Advertisement