Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probate timeline

Options
  • 01-11-2018 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have been bidding on a house and we were initially told the house has passed probable but have been informed that it hasn’t even been put through yet.

EA told us incorrect information, just wondering does anyone have an idea roughly how long probate usually takes, as far as we were told the person who owned the house had no children and her brother will be the beneficiary.

We are thinking are we best to walk away now and look elsewhere, as the EA has lied continuously to us from day one and it’s coming to light more and more that this is the case.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It depends on the part of the country you are in.
    Took me 9 months in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

We are in Dublin, EA seems to think 12-16 weeks, from googling it I am getting similar to what you said timeline wise.

Not sure what to do now, or even if we can go sale agreed if it’s in probate.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have been bidding on a house and we were initially told the house has passed probable but have been informed that it hasn’t even been put through yet.

EA told us incorrect information, just wondering does anyone have an idea roughly how long probate usually takes, as far as we were told the person who owned the house had no children and her brother will be the beneficiary.

We are thinking are we best to walk away now and look elsewhere, as the EA has lied continuously to us from day one and it’s coming to light more and more that this is the case.

Thanks

Went through probate in Dublin last year. Once everything was sent to probate office it only took 8 weeks for grant of probate to be sent back. But getting to the point of getting everthing in order to send to probate office took alot longer than that. Depends on efficiency of banks, solicitors etc and the complexity of situation with beneficiaries. The whole process took me 9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Only took 3 weeks for a house my brother purchased back in May. House was in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Was the probate started already prior to bidding on the house or 3 weeks from start to finish?
    garhjw wrote: »
    Only took 3 weeks for a house my brother purchased back in May. House was in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

We went sale agreed in July 2016, got keys late Nov 2016, Dublin.

Probate hadn't started and Probate office was in some form of "limited" service mode at the time.

Like you I asked the EA was Probate complete. "Oh yes of course."

Estate agents...great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

bri007 wrote: »
    Was the probate started already prior to bidding on the house or 3 weeks from start to finish?

No only after sale agreed. All parties surprised at how quickly it was. They were expecting 6-8 weeks

Advertisement