Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclockers/Amazon UK Question

Options
  • 01-11-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Its xmas time for me :D

I notice new options to login with Amazon and pay with Amazon, if I do, does this mean my purchase is with Amazon or whats it all about?

Amazon UK dont have the 9900K wondering if thats linked to the above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dreamers75 wrote: »

I notice new options to login with Amazon and pay with Amazon, if I do, does this mean my purchase is with Amazon or whats it all about?

I think it's just so you can use your Amazon credit on Overclockers.

The 9900K was about €550 delivered from Amazon US about two weeks ago. Probably worth keeping an eye on it to see does it pop up again if that's what your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

TitianGerm wrote: »

The 9900K was about €550 delivered from Amazon US about two weeks ago. Probably worth keeping an eye on it to see does it pop up again if that's what your looking for.

Do you only have to pay VAT on that or is there duty added to CPUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tuxy wrote: »
    Do you only have to pay VAT on that or is there duty added to CPUs?

No all the fees are included when you buy from Amazon US. If customs is less than their estimate they give you a refund but if they under estimate the liability they don't look for the extra from you.

What's odd about the listing?
    One seller has it in stock for an outrageous price.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    What's odd about the listing?
    One seller has it in stock for an outrageous price.

Amazon dont, same with US, DE,FR

Thats kinda odd when its in stock everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Amazon dont, same with US, DE,FR

Thats kinda odd when its in stock everywhere else.

Gamers Nexus had a video last week noting shortages of the CPU even in the US, and delayed deliveries, as well as plenty of price gouging.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Gamers Nexus had a video last week noting shortages of the CPU even in the US, and delayed deliveries, as well as plenty of price gouging.

But its at normal price on OCUK and Komplett, I just found that very odd.

699 is from that I can see the normal price, partpicker has it in stock everywhere in every country I clicked on. Even Ebay :D has it!!

Amazon the biggest retailer in the world doesnt have it :confused:

Where is it in stock? Overclockers and Scan are pre order only. How is it in stock everywhere when you can only pre order on the main retailers?
    What shop do you see it as in stock for the RRP?

There's a few in stock on amazon by re sellers but at inflated prices. Nothing unusual about that at all, perfectly normal when there is very limited stock of an item.

But its at normal price on OCUK and Komplett

It's at the normal price because neither komplett or OCUK have it in stock. If you order from them you will have to wait a few days/weeks for stock. The inflated prices are for wealthy inpatient people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

But its at normal price on OCUK and Komplett, I just found that very odd.

699 is from that I can see the normal price, partpicker has it in stock everywhere in every country I clicked on. Even Ebay :D has it!!

Amazon the biggest retailer in the world doesnt have it :confused:

Link to time - https://youtu.be/a0vq-qRIZQA?t=67

Whole Vid

Does that video explain what a pre order is?

Gonna be honest i think I am missing something here.

OC have and are willing to sell it to me but Amazon doesnt have it.

its my chrimbo present to me :(

Ah I see the confusion, that's the tray version. Amazon generally only sell the boxed version. The boxed version is not available anywhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just wondering what cpu OP is currently running?
    If you have an 8600K or 8700K the 9900K is barely an upgrade,certainly nothing you will notice ingame.

Dcully wrote: »
    Just wondering what cpu OP is currently running?
    If you have an 8600K or 8700K the 9900K is barely an upgrade,certainly nothing you will notice ingame.

5960X and X99 mobo from 4 years ago, its either 9900K and new platform or 6950X(highest board will support) which is a €1200 atm.

Z390 platform seems to be better choice imo

What games have been performing poorly on the 5960X?

Its not performing poorly more so average with this years games ie AC:O (1080GPU) and same as when I got it, if i dont buy something this year (2080 not worth it) I getting a kitchen or some ****e.

My board is woeful for overclocking and me being lazy if I taking out the board I may as well do the CPU too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Assassin's Creed Origins doesn't run too well on PC though, you shouldn't use that to bench.

You should be able to get the 5960X to 4.3/4.4GHz at 1.296V easily with a nice cooler.
    Or upgrade the GPU to GTX 1080 Ti.

TBH just sounds like you want to spend money for the sake of it :pac:

Do you have any other hobbies or interests?

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed Origins doesn't run too well on PC though, you shouldn't use that to bench.

You should be able to get the 5960X to 4.3/4.4GHz at 1.296V easily with a nice cooler.
    Or upgrade the GPU to GTX 1080 Ti.

TBH just sounds like you want to spend money for the sake of it :pac:

I chose poorly with motherboards when getting this cpu, OCing is awful.

And yes you are correct, that cart should be here by Wednesday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your current CPU is fine though, surely you should be looking at a GTX1080Ti or RTX280? You can get the 1080Ti new for £580-600 now so it's a pretty good deal, if you only currently have a GTX1080 upgrading the CPU seems a bit mad in that context, given the enormous cost of it, and considering a new GPU would return way better performance upgrades.

AC:O doesn't run very well on PC, it's pretty normal to get <60fps even on very high end systems....and it's because it's both a CPU and GPU killer, not one or the other.

Even at stock your current CPU is still good, and just a mild overclock would see it very close to on-par with much newer CPUs as well.

But that doesn't solve the problem of money burning a hole in his pocket
    Buying an RTX card might be a better option, Nvidia might release some ray tracing or benchmarks that can be run.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your order is with Overclockers.

Amazon Pay is just like logging in and paying with Paypal, it lets you use your Amazon payment methods without having to enter them into another website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I chose poorly with motherboards when getting this cpu, OCing is awful.

And yes you are correct, that cart should be here by Wednesday :pac:

AMD are having their Ryzen 2 reveal tomorrow, so ya might as well cool the jets and see what new toys they have to offer :)

Venom wrote: »
    AMD are having their Ryzen 2 reveal tomorrow, so ya might as well cool the jets and see what new toys they have to offer :)

The AMD solution will likely come in well under budget for him leaving him in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Venom wrote: »

Won't be released till next year, focus will be on server products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Won't be released till next year, focus will be on server products.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. AMD has released their consumer chips first in the past and their new Threadripper's have just dropped, so not only is it Rysen 2's turn going on past evidence but a big reveal now about how awesome an upcoming generation of server chips are going to be, would only cut into current Threadripper sales.

Gonna hold off on a GPU until I see what AMD bring out, the 2080TI is simply not worth the upgrade from a 1080 right now. The 9900 vs the 5960 is a 38% increase with an option of OC later in its life (if I buy a decent mobo this time).

I intend to get 3/4 years out of the 9900K same as I got from my last CPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What about the 9700K (8cores, no HT)?

Performance is practically identical with the 9900K (just depends on which chip OCs higher) but it's 25% cheaper.

Advertisement