Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Sites in County Limerick

• 01-11-2018 7:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I finally paid a visit to the Grange Stone Circle today. I've been driving past it for years on the way to matches in Holy Cross and Bruff and beyond, but never stopped to check it out before. It's a fascinating spot, a good 4,000 years old, and very peaceful.

It got me thinking about other interesting places around Limerick (both ancient and more modern).

I got to see Desmond Hall in Newcastle West recently, and of course we all know of King John's Castle and St Mary's Cathedral and the Treaty Stone in town. I'm also a big fan of Carrigogunnell Castle at Ballybrown/Clarina and Curraghchase.

But what else is worth a spin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm not sure whether you could call it historical or not (I suppose technically it is) but Glenstal is lovely for a stroll around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Only out the road in co Clare but Craggaunowen is an interesting site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Glin castle is worth a visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

This map may be overkill but it is a complete lists of all the monuments.
    http://webgis.buildingsofireland.ie/HistoricEnvironment/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Only out the road in co Clare but Craggaunowen is an interesting site!

We did that for a school tour many years ago. I think we went to Bunratty Castle the year after. :D It'd be worth going back again though, to be fair. :)

• Advertisement

We did that for a school tour many years ago. I think we went to Bunratty Castle the year after. :D It'd be worth going back again though, to be fair. :)

I was thinking exactly the same thing as i posted i only remember it as a 10 year old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Lough Gur

Curragh Chase. That manor house must have been beautiful before it burnt down.

Foynes Flying Boat Museum... Not exactly ancient, but very important for transatlantic flights.

Adare with its various old abbeys and landmarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Mooghaun

Not Limerick, but just out the road.
    Enjoy it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mooghaun

Not Limerick, but just out the road.
    Enjoy it!

I might head out to that one tomorrow! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Craggaunowen is closed for the winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Quin Abbey is worth a spin out the road. It's free too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Mass Rock in Ashford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I got to see Desmond Hall in Newcastle West recently

To my absolute shame I've never been. Desmond Hall is the one in the square right? Can you actually go inside?

My favourite historical site in Limerick is Castle Matrix, Rathkeale. It's a beautiful 15th Century Tower. It was fully restored both externally and internally in the 1990's and was exquisite with it's medieval banquets and hosted many weddings. Unfortunately, the family that restored it was hit with numerous tragedies and it has fallen into complete disrepair :( You can still go in and walk around the grounds though it is completely overgrown and their are dogs and cats roaming around. The tower hangs over the river Deel and there is a tunnel from the river to the castle that is fun to explore.

You can also peak in the windows to still see the beautiful wooden furniture, fireplaces and library now fallen into ruins :( A lot of people find it a bit spooky as it's shrouded in woods and is very hidden so not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Kilmallock is definitely worth a visit; nice little village with several cool historic ruins, including a Dominican abbey with lots of lovely stone carvings, a collegiate church with medieval tombstones and a round tower, the ruin of an old tower house right in the middle of town, and one of the original medieval town gates. The newer parish church (SS. Peter and Paul, 1889) is also impressive, with some beautiful mosaic work in the chancel. There's also a guy who runs walking tours which are pretty interesting, though he only does private group bookings in the winter:

https://www.kilmallockmedievaltours.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Knockfeirna in Ballingarry, spectacular views and the remains of an old famine village.

Knockpatrick in Foynes is an old graveyard overlooking the Shannon Estuary, great views on a good day.

Askeaton Abbey and Castle both look very interesting. You can definitely go into the Abbey but not sure about the castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Mass Rock in Ashford.
    And if you're to go there you may as well go to Glenquin Castle in the same village.
    You'd probably have to make contact with the keyholders but it's public knowledge and is easily found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Askeaton Friary. Get the local guide, he explains the place brilliantly

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Dromore Castle near Kildimo/Pallaskenry is class. Amazed its left to ruin.

Knockfierna, Askeaton friary and Castle Matrix +1

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Carrig Island Battery (Corran Point)/Carrigafoyle Castle - actually in Kerry (d’oh)

Beagh Castle - Co. Limerick

Co. Clare but not too far:
    Killone Abbey - unfortunately the OPW went a bit mad with the railings here in recent years but it’s still worth a look.
    Doonass Folly
    Dysert O’Dea castle - haven’t actually been here but it looks like there’s plenty to see
    Kilkerin Battery - well preserved, a bit out of the way but they’re interesting curiosities on the Shannon estuary. If you google it you’ll find that there were six - five remain in various states of repair IIRC
    Cullane House

Holy Island on Lough Derg has a plethora of ruins: churches/abbey/round tower

I thought I’d have more in Co. Limerick but it seems not!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Mountshannon House just off the Mountshannon road, Lisnagry - the house itself is even more impressive than Curraghchase, once said to be the finest house in the British Isles

• Advertisement

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Mountshannon House just off the Mountshannon road, Lisnagry - the house itself is even more impressive than Curraghchase, once said to be the finest house in the British Isles
    I often see it from the roadside it is impressive almost roman ruin impressive but is there an easy access to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Kilmallock has some nice medieval parts to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

damowill wrote: »
    Dromore Castle near Kildimo/Pallaskenry is class. Amazed its left to ruin.

Knockfierna, Askeaton friary and Castle Matrix +1

Can you access Dromore Castle now? I remember years ago when i was a young lad cycling out there and getting hunted away before i got to the castle lol
    There was a movie filmed there before 'High spirits' i think was the name of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

http://irelandinruins.blogspot.com/2011/05/dromore-castle-co-limerick.html

...admittedly the article is about 7 years old, but AFAIK it is still not an easy building to access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Mass Rock in Ashford.

Go on a bright clear day and you will literally see all of Limerick before you. Some viewpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Lough Gur is lovely for a day out in nice weather ... not sure if it was mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Really enjoyed this video on Glin Castle that is well worth a watch. It's lovely to see how passionate the couple are about Limerick and the castle being used to its full potential by the Limerick community

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

panda100 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this video on Glin Castle that is well worth a watch. It's lovely to see how passionate the couple are about Limerick and the castle being used to its full potential by the Limerick community

Thanks for sharing that! Cool video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

panda100 wrote: »

That chap is a very famous actor. Was in the Wire. Didn't realise he lived in limerick.

• Advertisement

Any info on Ballygrennan Castle outside Bruff? I drove past it today on my way to a match but didn't have time to stop for a look around.

Advertisement