Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning gnarled Pear tree - help!

Options
  • 01-11-2018 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Pear trees are not my thing and this one has countless spurs and is generally in poor shape with crossover branches etc (see wound in pic)

2MHFm.jpg

2MHFn.jpg

Any advice on how to best prune this and yes I know pears really need to be done earlier in year. Client wants them done but I will try and put her off - I've stated on the apple trees as that's fine season wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Never heard anyone saying pears should be pruned earlier in the year. I always wait until the leaves have all fallen and the RHS page on the subject says November to March is the time to prune. Never thought there was a whole lot of difference in the approach between pears and apples and the RHS site seems to just regard them as the same. Reading their tips I think the main mistakes I might have made was perhaps pruning too much one year and then getting too vigorous regrowth the following year or "water-shoots" as they put it and also a couple of times I have just pruned one of my parents pear trees by taking out the very top branches and these mistakes might explain the recent poor fruit yield from this tree.

The top photo shows some damage on one of the branches and I would usually just take out diseased and damaged branches first before making any cuts to improve the overall shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

A. remove any dead ,dying or diseased wood
    B. remove one of any crossing/rubbing branches..following C will help identify which one
    C. remove any growing from one side through the centre to the other side
    D. shorten any drooping branches back to where they can support their own weight.

This would generally apply to any fruit tree. I wouldn't see any issue with doing it now either.

Advertisement