Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best silencer

• 01-11-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

just got a c-z 550, . 243, secondhand looking to buy a good silencer, any recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

MC27 wrote: »
    just got a c-z 550, . 243, secondhand looking to buy a good silencer, any recommendations

I am amazed at the sound and felt recoil reduction from my Hausken.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its a subjective question based on the heard report of the person owning/involved.

I've found the T8 to be oe of the quietest mods i've ever owned, consistently. It has drawbacks, but to my ear it sounded the quietest. Yet the in actual tests other brands performed better than it when measured under strict conditions. I've had lads say to me they think something else is quieter and yet another disagree.

Hence each lad will have his own interpretation of what they think is the best.

Other factors can come into it. For example the T8 is a solid mod and a complete a-hole to clean. Hausken, A-Tec and others are modular and strip down for easy cleaning. Some are made of polymers so are much lighter and you have the likes of Ase that weigh quite a bit and a lot are muzzle mounted for really affect harmonics and balance of the rifle.

This is an old, actually very old, rview i done some time back based on the Mods i own. There are new models that i don't own, but have heard/been around but i won't comment on them as i've no actual experience with.

An Ase Utra S5 on a .308 & .243
    • Great mod, great results with little to no difference in POI out to 300yds with it on or off.
    • Easy enough to clean.
    • Best sound reduction.
    • Heavy on the end of the barrel.
    • More expensive than most other mods.
    • Tough wearing and will last as long as the owner if treated right.
    T8 on 30-06 and .243
    • Good on the .243 and 30-06, but difference in POI with mod on was 7" at 200yds.
    • Prone to rusting.
    • No more difficult to clean than an Ase, etc.
    • Screws down over barrel so reducing excess weight on the end of the rifle.
    • Has a resonance when fired.
    • Cheapest of the current available stock of mods.
    • Lighter than the Ase.
    T4 AR on .223
    • Difference in POI with mod on or off at 100yds.
    • Prone to rusting. Needs regular maintenance
    • No more difficult to clean than an Ase, etc.
    • Screws down over barrel so reducing excess weight on the end of the rifle.
    • Cheapest of the current available stock of mods.
    • Lighter than some.
    Wildcat on .223
    • Great mod, and very little in difference in POI with in on or off.
    • Lighter than the Ase and ( i think) the T8.
    • Screw down over the barrel for reduced weight.
    • Completely comes apart for easy cleaning.
    • Baffles can be changed allowing the mod to be used on a .223 up to .30cal wth new inners.
    • Polymer housing gives no resonance.
    • Cheaper than Ase, but a little more expensive than T8.
    A-Tec Maxim/Hertz on .243
    • Lightweight
    • Good sound suppression
    • Reflex
    • Cheaper than most other makes at around €300
    • Comes apart for easy cleaning
    • Small change in POI with mod on to off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Sako 75 in .308

I've had the ASE Ultra over-barrel on my rifle and it was good but heavy.

Now using the Hausken over-barrel and it's just as good if not a little better.
    And it's a good deal lighter, which makes all the difference when stalking and walking and stalking in the fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I’ve the wildcat evolution about 3 years now-awesome mod it can be completely stripped down for cleaning in the ultrasonic cleaner every 50-100 shots that leaves it looking completely as New internally,mine goes on my m18x1 thread.243 and m18x1 .223 with the .243 specific baffle,I never bothered buying a .223 specific baffle as it really tamed both calibers.
    I had a t8 it rusted away and started to swell and crack.
    I had a wildcat predator 8 it was a quality mod but I found it a bit heavy and probably overkill for a non magnum caliber.

Advertisement