Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will availing of an Irish exemption limit college choices later?

Options
  • 02-11-2018 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

My 12 year old qualifies for an Irish exemption and her principal wants to apply for it now so it's in place before she commences Secondary School in September 2019.

I have some serious concerns about doing this, the main one is a fear of limiting her college options later. (i.e Primary School teaching would be a non-runner).

She has her heart set on studying history and political science and Irish is an entry requirement for most NUI courses. She is strong academically but she is experiencing significant difficulties with Maths, her teacher feels that it would be prudent to avail of the Irish exemption so that it will allow her to spend more time on Maths in the coming years. (I believe that she might be entitled to Maths resource teaching hours in Secondary school but I've been led to believe that resource teaching usually happens during periods where a student is excused from Irish).

My personal preference would be to obtain Maths grinds and to continue with Irish for as long as possible (ideally up to Leaving Certificate). However, if I agreed with the Principal's plan to seek an exemption, would it be possible for my daughter to continue studying Irish and use the exemption only if was absolutely necessary to do so?

I would be very interested in hearing from teachers/parents/students who have some experience of this type of situation. Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is the exemption because of a specific learning issue or being born outside the State?
    If she was born outside the State she qualifies for an NUI exemption and will not need Irish for her course. This does not exempt her from attending Irish classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There was a young man on Liveline in recent weeks complaining that he was being rejected from the Gardai because of the Irish exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

There was a young man on Liveline in recent weeks complaining that he was being rejected from the Gardai because of the Irish exemption.
    Thanks for that Andrew Renko.

I’m posting a link to the Liveline programme you mentioned as it may be of interest to students with dyslexia or their parents/teachers.

https://cdn.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2018/1019/20181019_rteradio1-liveline-gardarecru_c21450910_21450913_261_/manifest.m3u8

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

spurious wrote: »
    Is the exemption because of a specific learning issue or being born outside the State?
    If she was born outside the State she qualifies for an NUI exemption and will not need Irish for her course. This does not exempt her from attending Irish classes.
    Spurious, thanks for your reply.

I’m a bit confused about the NUI Exemption. I went to see a Career Guidance Teacher last week and she told me that any student with an Irish Exemption would qualify for an NUI exemption.

I was happy with this information initially. However, when I mentioned it to two different Irish teachers (my neighbour and a cousin of mine). They both told me that the NUI Exemption only applies to students born outside Ireland.

Can you please tell me who is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

An Irish exemption granted due to a learning difficulty or not starting education in Ireland until after age 11 means the child doesn't have to do Irish lessons and can be accepted by NUI. The NUI-issued exemption for those born outside the state is separate and it allows them to be accepted to NUI without sitting the LC Irish exam but does not exempt them from doing Irish lessons in school. Yes the child can be granted an exemption and not use it unless necessary - that's quite common for Junior Cert in my experience. I don't think any college courses will be ruled out other than primary teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, you can seek an exemption and not use it at present or at all.
    I'd also make the point that there have been noises made in the recent past about a child being exempt from Irish and not say, French, so this could be a sticking point down the line.

The Department has confirmed it is reviewing arrangements for the granting of exemptions from the study of Irish.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/thousands-exempt-from-irish-sitting-other-language-exams-1.3529550

Advertisement